Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Lot Rental Expense

My wife and I are now getting close enough to selling the house, buying the rv, and heading out to start worrying about finances. We probably have the summer spot in the north picked out, but our original plan was to wander the south for a couple winters looking for the right place to spend a whole winter. My question is: do most CGs give better rates for a week, or a month? The daily rates I see on the internet are going to mount up pretty fast.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Seasonal rates are the best and are usually paid in advance.

Then Monthly.

Then Weekly.

Then Overnight, hence dry camping while on the road.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Typically a weekly rate = 5 or 6 nightly rates.

Monthly rate = ~ 3 weeks

Seasonal, big savings come a 3 and 5 months. Of course it all depends on how 'in demand' the area is for seasonal stays.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

Monthly rates are usually a lot cheaper, but you're normally charged separately for your electricity use which can get on up there if you're running both a/c's 24 hours a day.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Monthly rates are usually a lot cheaper, but you're normally charged separately for your electricity use which can get on up there if you're running both a/c's 24 hours a day.
If we are running both A/Cs 24/7 then obviously we made the wrong turn and need to MOVE and get to cooler weather. That's why we have wheels underneath!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If we are running both A/Cs 24/7 then obviously we made the wrong turn and need to MOVE and get to cooler weather. That's why we have wheels underneath!

Barb
Last year after staying at an RV park in Aransas Pass TX, the electric bill for a little less than a month was $271! I was pretty shocked. That was running both airs, washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc, but I can run my whole house in the summertime for almost half that.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #8

I always start my search for a new area with PassportAmerica APP, especially if only going to be around for less than a week. They list the PA discounted price and minimum/maximum stay requirements, etc. If we're going to be in an area for close to a week, or longer, then I only use the PA APP and our GoodSam APP to find parks in the area, and then I go directly to the RV park website where they list the weekly, monthly, seasonal rates.
We've traveled a lot, 19k miles, in the last 9 months, though we've also parked in some Parks for months at a time. We've probably stayed in over 150 parks/sites/state parks/Walmart,corp parking lots, etc in that time as well.
My budget, when we started, was for $30 average cost for RV parks, per night. Some months, especially when travelling, was very near that. Of course, when staying for a month, or more, we are probably average 1/2 that, depending on time of year, and locations.
We are currently near Hiawassee, GA(N GA Mountains near NC), and have a monthly rate of $433($14.29 per day average), including elec, water, sewer, and cable tv, since we committed to a two month stay. Nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5807.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	91553  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Last year after staying at an RV park in Aransas Pass TX, the electric bill for a little less than a month was $271! I was pretty shocked. That was running both airs, washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc, but I can run my whole house in the summertime for almost half that.

Yikes. The most we've ever paid for electric was $100, and then I wasn't very happy. I'm like Barb, if I had to run both AC's, I'm obviously in the wrong place.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #10

I bought my rig a couple weeks ago and am closing on my house over the next couple of weeks. I have been shocked at the prices for lot rents and locations across North central WV (where the shale fields are booming). Though prices around here are $450-500 all utilities included with wi-fi, I feel like they're too high. Some of these spots have been in people's front yards or literally on the sides of curvy roads. I managed to find a spot for $700 for the season (April through November) with the same amenities. Though the seasonal rate doesn't prorate, I still feel lucky having plopped down the fee last night.

I like the reasoning on constantly running your A/C though.
teamReames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We stay near Yuma. Lot rental for the year is 2400. Monthly electric bill runs from 35 - 60 dollars.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Key Phrase

teamReames, you spoke the key phrase, "where the shale fields are booming." You are in competition with people that are making big bucks. This phenomenon is taking place all over the USA. Housing is so short across the oil/gas patch that anyone with a vacant spot on their front yard is trying to cash in. When the boom is over the prices will come back down. Better to go somewhere there is no activity. Who really wants to hang out with a bunch of drunken drifters, anyway. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote