Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #15

Sounds good to me. I know too many people who did not get to retire the way they planned on do to health issues. I would invest the money from the stick and bricks in case you ever want to go off the road for the same reason.

FWIW I would go with a DP as long as you can maintain it yourself. I wonder what you could do if you also picked up an enclosed car hauler trailer and set up a mobile shop to do routine maintenance for other DP's. I have no idea how practical that is. OTOH there seems to be a lot of owners who are willing to pay for service.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
TRUE!!
Get out there while you can!
We had planned on going full time when we were both 62, my parents got worse and need me (only child) to take care of their stuff (health care etc), then they needed more care so had to find new living arrangements within the budget. The home care couldn't do (by law) everything they needed so I did it. Then they died one month apart. Wife was one WEEK from putting in her retirement papers when her daughter died, leaving us with two grandkids to raise. Oldest has left now but the youngest is 14 and just started high school. Then the DW started vomiting blood, shes' been in the ER, ICU and recovery rooms 14 times in three years although three of those were hernia repairs. Went to her gastroenterologist yesterday and now they are testing to see if she should go on a transplant waiting list. They keep looking for cancer but haven't found any yet although her last colonoscopy had three polyps removed, two were OK but the third is a type that can go into cancer.
OK, enough of this but my "conclusion" is ti GO FOR IT while you can!! You never know what life is going to throw at you!
That is an exact example of the truth about waiting till you retire to do things. You can be the most organized, planned person in the world and its not even your circumstances that can affect your future.

We live our life in the now and experience all we can. We aren't retired but we're not waiting for it.
My parents are gone now but my wife's are in their late 70's and 80's. I suspect their needs will come into play about the time I can retire.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Younger spouse drawing Social Security

Just a reminder, if you and spouse are different ages, the younger can get half of older's social security when the younger turns 62. In my case, I am 9 years older than spouse. I had to start social security when I was 65. Spouse will be 62 in less than a year and she will then begin taking the dollar amount of half of my benefit. And this does not effect her being able to wait on her social security and draw full benefits when she reaches 66.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Sounds good to me. I know too many people who did not get to retire the way they planned on do to health issues. I would invest the money from the stick and bricks in case you ever want to go off the road for the same reason.

FWIW I would go with a DP as long as you can maintain it yourself. I wonder what you could do if you also picked up an enclosed car hauler trailer and set up a mobile shop to do routine maintenance for other DP's. I have no idea how practical that is. OTOH there seems to be a lot of owners who are willing to pay for service.
Gary had open heart surgery 10 years ago for clogged arteries, he felt fine at the time and it was a big surprise to him. He has been doing great but some day it could be a problem again. Since we all ready have the money saved to buy our rig, saving what we get from the sale of our house is a good plan just incase Gary cant be on the road anymore due to his heart.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Age is on your side. Go 4 it.

I plan to retire at 53...(2016). Just received notice that other workers at my place who don't have 25 years of service by January 2015, will now have to wait till at least age 62 to retire. Things like this can sure mess up a plan. I don't know what I would have done if that would have included myself.

Was at a meeting yesterday where this was told to workers who thought they could retire in 5 or 10 years and now have to work another extra 10 years. You can say they were not happy campers....

We won't be full timing, but we will do many month long trips. Planning a summer Alaska trip in 16'.

I'm so ready to retire....They could buy me out right now for $1 I would go.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I think about this a lot, and I know I could do this for some extra buck. But if it was a fellow RVer, like us, I would have a hard time charging some one. I get great satisfaction form helping other fix their stuff, and I like the interaction and great friendship that can come from helping some one out. When we had our lake house I would help the neighbors fix stuff all the time, and I could never except any payment in return. But the people I help would always did some thing in return. I had someone do my taxes once for fixing their well pump, another made really tasty pastry for us when I repaired their lift system on their septic tank. So I really like to help others because I believe some day some one will help me do some thing I don't know how to do.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
By not charging for your "professional services" you do no one justice. You demean all who have worked so hard to get as accomplished as they are in their chosen trade or profession. If however you chose to help someone say paint their kitchen or something else hand son- that would be worthy of a helping hand. It is not a good mark on the character of those around you to even ask you to help or perform without compensation in your trade. It is hard enough to find a good honest trades-person and for you to do an honest, competent, and complete job should be of itself acceptable and be appreciated by those you help and be compensated at a fair rate for your services.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #22

not sure if I read the op right or not but seams to me that at first they will have 3k per month then in a couple of year add another 1200. so that's 4200 per month then in 8 years later adding another 2500. all I can say is can I get a loan from you lol me and my wife make it with me getting 3100 per month and her only 550 for disability. with a car payment of almost 500 a months and Rv of 500 a month. So I say YES GO for it yall should have no problems. that I can see but for health insurance I'm a Vet so I got Tricare.
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
By not charging for your "professional services" you do no one justice. You demean all who have worked so hard to get as accomplished as they are in their chosen trade or profession. If however you chose to help someone say paint their kitchen or something else hand son- that would be worthy of a helping hand. It is not a good mark on the character of those around you to even ask you to help or perform without compensation in your trade. It is hard enough to find a good honest trades-person and for you to do an honest, competent, and complete job should be of itself acceptable and be appreciated by those you help and be compensated at a fair rate for your services.
Kinda judgmental - it's called "bartering", which has been around for thousands of years. I applaud the approach G-JLD9 mentions! I wrote and now maintain the web page for a local dentist who provided care for my father who was unable to pay for the services. Work well for me!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhammer View Post
not sure if I read the op right or not but seams to me that at first they will have 3k per month then in a couple of year add another 1200. so that's 4200 per month then in 8 years later adding another 2500. all I can say is can I get a loan from you lol me and my wife make it with me getting 3100 per month and her only 550 for disability. with a car payment of almost 500 a months and Rv of 500 a month. So I say YES GO for it yall should have no problems. that I can see but for health insurance I'm a Vet so I got Tricare.
A lot has happened since I posted, but all for the good. Gary got forced into retirement from his Federal job last month and is now collecting his pension from his Federal job about 1250 a month. Then in 2019 when he turns 60, he will get his Army Reserve pension at about 1800 a month. And he will be able to get S.S. 2 years after that. So the plan is still to full time by the end of 2019, and I'm very confident that we can do it on about 3k a month. After reading other posts, I see many people doing just fine with less.

I tried to say lets do it now since he has his Federal pension now but I really need to work 5 more years to get the time I need for my Federal and Army Reserve pensions, then be able to draw Federal pension in 2025. I have a long time till I can draw Army pension but I think we will be doing ok on his.

Gary didn't like not working if I'm still working, so he got a full time job working for the KDOT. So that's good, more savings for the full time RV plan.

Next weekend we are going to the RV show here in Wichita, KS. Its a small show but still get to see some cool stuff and dream of "Sunny & 75".
Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Kinda judgmental - it's called "bartering", which has been around for thousands of years. I applaud the approach G-JLD9 mentions! I wrote and now maintain the web page for a local dentist who provided care for my father who was unable to pay for the services. Work well for me!
I agree and would chose to barter my services over cash payment to my friends and neighbors. But I understand what PAPPASMARF is saying. So if I decide to have a mobile mechanic service to earn money to pay bill I would have to charge a fare rate. But I really see my self helping friends and neighbors I like, and in turn them helping me. If I could help someone fix something and them in turn show me how to crab fish, it would be awesome and be more fulfilling.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #26

G-JLD9 Glad to hear yall will be joining us on the Open Road. Me and wife arnt Full Time yet. We got 1 left she will be 18 and off to collage in june of 2016 that's when we will go FT. right now I would say do what I'm doing Read all you can About Place you want to stay. Get to know what it will cost to stay there and when to make reservations. I read all I can about boondocking . What problems other have had or are having. Like with the Norcold frig. I do this so I will be as prepared as i can be.

Have Fun and seeing North America is what it all about to me. So I hope to see lots of people and places.
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally I don't think we could do it on around $3,000.00+ a month. Everything I own is paid for, but still fear that, that won't be enough
We are both retired.
I guess I better start thinking about Boon-docking plan's.
How do you find a Boon-docking place? Just pull of a Hwy and say were here for a month, week.
Have wondered about that since we got the MH 4 years ago
I can say that I have never Boon-docked yet.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Personally I don't think we could do it on around $3,000.00+ a month. Everything I own is paid for, but still fear that, that won't be enough
We are both retired.
I guess I better start thinking about Boon-docking plan's.
How do you find a Boon-docking place? Just pull of a Hwy and say were here for a month, week.
Have wondered about that since we got the MH 4 years ago
I can say that I have never Boon-docked yet.
Tim

Sign up for BoondockersWelcome.com and they have 100's or more sites around country too park. Also HarvestHosts.com for farms and other cool places too stay...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving