Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #57

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwho40 View Post
i am 41 and i get about two thousand dollars a month and my 1996 36 ft winnebago cost about three hundred dollars to fill depending on gas prices and ive never learn how to budget im worried about running out of money fast not knowing how to budget but i want to start traveling in my rv oct. 25 but i wish i know a way not to run out of money to fast when i dont know how to budget but i dont want to not travel and want to start traveling and in joy the rv life style so please help
You can learn to budget, even at 41.

Take a piece of lined paper. Make a chart with columns to represent at least 5 weeks (one column per week). At the top of each weeks column put the date for each week in the first row. On the second row, record any income expected to be received during that week. Therefore, now you have 5 columns (5 weeks) and recorded the weekly income.

Now, down the left side make three sections to record your expense types. These first section will be for "Fixed Expenses". Now list the things that you have to pay with a set monthly amount; like rent, set loan payments, etc. The second section will be for "Variable Expenses". Now list the things that you have to pay each month that the amount may vary; like utilities, phone, gas, groceries, work expenses, lunch at work, etc. The third section will be for "Optional Expenses". Now list all the things that you can either chose to pay, or not to pay, depending on if you have the money to do so or not; like traveling, camping sight, going out to eat, etc.

Now enter the amounts for all the expenses in the weekly columns where you will need to pay it. Subtract the expenses from the expected income for each week and put a total at the bottom (either a positive or negative amount).

You will need to make the overall total balance out for the five week period by either moving some expenses to another week that has a positive amount, or eliminating the optional expenses.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What marketable skill do you have to work on the road? You may need to stay in one place for 6 months to work and then another place. Work camping is another way to help pay your way. You need money for healthcare as well, so it sounds like working while living in an rv is in your future. I could never stop work until I'm really old and no longer able. I started when I was a young kid and have had so many interesting jobs. Working to pay my own way is just too fulfilling to stop now.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
i dont know anything about marketing and i dont understand it but still want to work on the road with out being in just one place for more then six months
markwho40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i dont know anything about marketing and i dont understand it but still want to work on the road with out being in just one place for more then six months
I don't think he was talking about a marketing job but rather what kind of skills you have which you can "sell" while traveling.

The work camping option seems like a great one IMHO. You could get settled in... have your site paid for... and learn all about your RV before hitting the road for your next stop.

You do need to learn how to budget. There's no way to plan unless you do. You don't want to be faced with suddenly reaching into your wallet and finding it empty... while wondering, "what do I do now?".

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markwho40 Send a message via Yahoo to markwho40 Send a message via Skype™ to markwho40
i do make one of a kind unique lamps and how can i make money selling them on the road
Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #62

Quote:
i do make one of a kind unique lamps and how can i make money selling them on the road
Mark,

Some parts of this you are just going to have to figure out on your own.. You are 41 years old and if you made it this far, I think you will find a way. You are the only one who truly knows you and if you can do this or not.. I say it's gonna be tight, but there are people out there doing it with less.. No Magic formula.. Just send less than you make! And if you can't afford to travel one month.. Don't! ... Move when you have the money..
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #63

Quote:
i am 41 and i get about two thousand dollars a month and my 1996 36 ft winnebago cost about three hundred dollars to fill depending on gas prices
Mark, the first thing to realise is that it may cost $300 to fill the tank, but if you don't drive it anywhere, you never have to refill it.
Extreme case but there is no law that says you have to drive 100 miles a day or a week or a month for that matter. Food you do have to buy. Same with medical insurance and all those other expenses you have whether you are renting an apartment or paying site fees in an RV park. Registration and insurance for the MH are also unavoidable and you need to find out what they are and do the sums and then work out what you can afford to spend on fuel.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #64

I get $2044. monthly from SSI disability plus VA benefits amd I've applied for food stamps. I'm also looking for a roommate to pay $600. monthly to live with me. I had a perspective roommate but they sent him to psych jail for arguing with a nurse and refused to take him bavk so he was transferred to another rehab center. Now I can't find him. So now I have to find a new roommate. Hopefully a pretty girl that I can have a long term relationship with.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
Mark,

Some parts of this you are just going to have to figure out on your own.. You are 41 years old and if you made it this far, I think you will find a way. You are the only one who truly knows you and if you can do this or not.. I say it's gonna be tight, but there are people out there doing it with less.. No Magic formula.. Just send less than you make! And if you can't afford to travel one month.. Don't! ... Move when you have the money..
ive only been on my own over 13 years because i use to be in programs because of developmental learning disabilities and tourette sysndrom
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #66

If you have a droid smartphone or anandroid tablet. About $65 on Amazon. There are free budget programs available to help you . Download and try thhem till you find one you like.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #67

I just got emailed from Moster Energy Drinks to make $300. per month if you let them wrap you vehicle I'm aMonster cover.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #68

If your RB is big enough I'm sure you can negotiate a better deal.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
i am 41 and i get about two thousand dollars a month and my 1996 36 ft winnebago cost about three hundred dollars to fill depending on gas prices and ive never learn how to budget im worried about running out of money fast not knowing how to budget but i want to start traveling in my rv oct. 25 but i wish i know a way not to run out of money to fast when i dont know how to budget but i dont want to not travel and want to start traveling and in joy the rv life style so please help
If you have read this thread from the beginning then you should have an understanding of the basics on where to start. If you haven't read this from the beginning my suggestion to you is to do so. Then ask your questions.

My first thought is to put as much cash away between now & Oct 25th as you can. You should expect to get at least 6mpg in your MH. If you do better, then thats money in the bank. Drive it easy & don't expect or try to be the first one to the campground. The slower, within reason, the better MPG you will get . If the posted speed limit is 65 run at 58-60 in the slow lane for an average. I understand there are times you must pickup your speed but only do so if you are truly a traffic hazard say during rush hour.

Lets say you can put enough money away for one full tank of gas & rent for a month at a campground. Apprx $800. Thats assuming $300 for fuel & $500 for rent, and if you shop around online you can do better than that for rent. Also if you use gasbuddy or some similar website you can find the cheapest gas for that fill up. Plan a destination that will take you apprx 3/4 of a tank of gas away from your current location. Stop there for at least one month then save that same $800 & move on the next month.

Its not really hard to do, you just need a goal write it on a piece of paper stick it to your refrigerator & then make yourself stick to it. Maybe a picture of the destinations you want to visit. Anything that will make you save that money to get there.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #70

Like I said in an earlier post. There are cheap or free apps for computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones that show you how to budget. I just ordered a tablet from Amazon for $62. It's a 7" model with android operating systems so I know of several free budget programs available. They're called apps. Short for applications. They're so easy to use day cares are giving them to two year olds so they can learn earlier and easily. I think you could handle one.