Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
On a budget

Average cost to go across country from east coast to west coast and back. I have what seems like forever before I can quit working and go on long vacation. I am retired military and will use famcamps and other military campgrounds. Will be camping half time and keeping my stick house. Will be using a gas motorhome and wonder how much will it cost to simply travel for 6 or 7 months.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Really RUFF.
Fuel 12000 miles 1700 gal. $3400
1/2 time paying for overnight 200 nights $$2000
Oil changes at least two or three $300
Something will break $500
The rest,
food $600-$700 per month depending on fast food sit down and home cooking, when we are out and about this can run to $1200 as a st down can be $60-$80 depending on drinks.
Entry fees to attractions to $200 a month, example tickets for touring Alamo area bus and a couple others $107 for four days.
And the list go's on. So much depends on what YOU tend to do.

LEN
Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kim

I agree with most of the previous post. However the variable is how you plan to live? We all have a different lifestyle and that is what makes it difficult. You're living expenses should be about the same as they are now. Unless you change eating habits etc.

There are many tools out there that can help contain costs, such as Gas Buddy for fuel. RV Parky for campgrounds. You'll find a way to do it.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While your on your trip you might want to log your expenses and post them on the Forum. I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested and it could be quite helpful to get an Idea
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Your stays at military campgrounds will cost you a minimum of $20 per night.
Check out passport america also ACOE parks
Its impossible to prediuct anything other than fuel. The rest is up to your lifestyle.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also look into the Escapees RV Club. In many places, there are parks that offer 15% discounts to members, and a surprising number of half-price parks. I've already saved enough money to pay for my membership many times over.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I am going to make a spreadsheet and start putting in some data. I am looking at spending as little money as possible but still have a good time and see all the attractions I want to see. I am only going to local places with this travel trailer and getting a motorhome later on for the cross country rides.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

It all depends on how well you plan and make a budget and stick to it. You can always find some good ideal on here save som money. Have some money set aside for break downs and repiars. You are the only one that can control how much you spend. If you spend every day like you are on vacation the money can go fast. Have a plan and try to stick to as much as possible.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
As someone who just meandered across in June, I also point out the Ethanol in fuel can ruin cost estimates. If you have an older vehicle, AAA is recommending NOT USING the blended stuff. Since replacing a fuel pump, gage unit, then the fuel injectors and intake gaskets, at 205k miles, I was not going to put the repair dollars at risk. As you approach the Mississippi River, prices go way down but they are for E10, E20, E30. Premium, or what they call Super, will set you back. Last fall, that $1.98 price looked great until I read the pump and filled with 87 octane at $3.46.
One pump in MN (the E10,20,30) had an option for Super at 87 octane, lots are only 85 unless you shell out.
Not sure what you are driving, Thank You for your Service.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote