Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Portable washer

I've been considering buying the Panda PAN30 portable washer for the motorhome, in order to cut down on time and money spent at laundromats. I figure I can launder small things in the Panda, then dry them on a rack in the bathtub, and use laundromat for things like sheets and heavy towels. Budget and space constraints pretty much rule out apartment-size machines like I had in the 5er years ago.

Anyone out there who has done this? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

There are some that are the two in one types, like the Splendor I think it's called. I've read good and not so good on those, size being the most of the complaints, it's small but you should be able to wash two sheets at the same time. Even just one sheet size machine is worth having, because now you can still wash a full set of clothes if needed. This cuts down on having to store dirty stuff until you get to a laundry.

I feel your pain on the laundry room blues. I like to keep things like my bath room items fresh as possible. Having your own washer will be a god send and you'll never go back to not having one in the future. You may have to adjust you gray water dump cycles to compensate for the washer.

But try the two in one, I don't like the having to hang laundry out to dry.

My two cents
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
There are some that are the two in one types, like the Splendor I think it's called. I've read good and not so good on those, size being the most of the complaints, it's small but you should be able to wash two sheets at the same time. Even just one sheet size machine is worth having, because now you can still wash a full set of clothes if needed. This cuts down on having to store dirty stuff until you get to a laundry.

I feel your pain on the laundry room blues. I like to keep things like my bath room items fresh as possible. Having your own washer will be a god send and you'll never go back to not having one in the future. You may have to adjust you gray water dump cycles to compensate for the washer.

But try the two in one, I don't like the having to hang laundry out to dry.

My two cents
DTW
I love laundry fresh off the clothesline, but I would never hang it outside in an RV park. Seems sorta tacky. That's why I figured I could put one of those foldable drying racks in the bathtub after we've both showered, and let stuff dry in there. I'll look into the one you mentioned. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

I'm a laundry hobbyist. I like doing laundry, and I like doing it right. That's why I feel really lucky I have room for a Splendide combo unit (washer and dryer in one).

But if I didn't have that, I'd probably jump on the Panda. I'd never heard of it until I read your post, and I looked at the unit, and reviews, on Amazon. (I told you I'm a laundry hobbyist.)

A spin cycle is absolutely essential, and it has one. Machine spinning is so far superior to hand wringing that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (and top loading laundromat machines barely qualify as spinning, in my opinion).

I don't know why you selected this particular one, but you might poke around and compare spin rates (measured in rpm) because the faster the spin, the easier it will be to air dry the laundry.

The capacity looks pretty good, too, and can probably do sheets. If I'm in a dry climate, I sometimes don't put my sheets in the dryer, and let them air dry instead (the two bus-driver fans by the windshield fit two corners of my fitted queen sheet quite nicely).

My motorhome has a little room that holds only the toilet. I installed a telescoping aluminum accordion rack above the window in there, and use that to hang things I don't want to put in the dryer. It looks like this:

Accordion-Style Drying Racks - Lee Valley Tools

But mine is only 24" wide. I don't remember where I got it (online, though, for sure).

I love that thing. And I love my Splendide, but that Panda looks like a machine after my own heart.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I'm a laundry hobbyist. I like doing laundry, and I like doing it right. That's why I feel really lucky I have room for a Splendide combo unit (washer and dryer in one).

But if I didn't have that, I'd probably jump on the Panda. I'd never heard of it until I read your post, and I looked at the unit, and reviews, on Amazon. (I told you I'm a laundry hobbyist.)

A spin cycle is absolutely essential, and it has one. Machine spinning is so far superior to hand wringing that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (and top loading laundromat machines barely qualify as spinning, in my opinion).

I don't know why you selected this particular one, but you might poke around and compare spin rates (measured in rpm) because the faster the spin, the easier it will be to air dry the laundry.

The capacity looks pretty good, too, and can probably do sheets. If I'm in a dry climate, I sometimes don't put my sheets in the dryer, and let them air dry instead (the two bus-driver fans by the windshield fit two corners of my fitted queen sheet quite nicely).

My motorhome has a little room that holds only the toilet. I installed a telescoping aluminum accordion rack above the window in there, and use that to hang things I don't want to put in the dryer. It looks like this:

Accordion-Style Drying Racks - Lee Valley Tools

But mine is only 24" wide. I don't remember where I got it (online, though, for sure).

I love that thing. And I love my Splendide, but that Panda looks like a machine after my own heart.
========================================

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I like your accordion-style drying rack better than the one I had in mind (the kind that unfolds and stands on the floor). I think I could put one up fairly high in the shower. At 5'10", I wouldn't have trouble reaching it.

According to the literature, it seems that the Panda will wash two sheets at once, but I'd have to see that to believe it. I like things to have plenty of room to move around in the wash water.

Also, everything seems to indicate a powerful spin cycle in the Panda. The reviews usually mention how quickly things dry once they're hung up. I'm intrigued by your use of the bus-driver fans. I have those also, but it never occurred to me to use them that way. I'll definitely give it a try.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

I may not have been clear--I don't turn the bus driver fans on when I put a fitted sheet on them; it's just a way to hang it so the gathered part is stretched out and exposed to air, and the width between the two of them is the perfect size for the long end of the fitted queen sheet. I let the rest hang, and then flip it when the corners on the fans are dry.

Plus, it's in the windshield and if the sun is on it, dyring is really quick.

Now, I do use the bus driver fans to hang two-layered montainbiking shorts on, and have on occasion turned it on low to hasten drying if they're needed the next day. (The chamois in there and the waistband with webbing in it make for pretty slow drying, and I never put them in the dryer.) But you have to be sure you don't block the back of the fan.

The spin on my Splendide is 1000 rpm and I am very very happy with it. I think I saw the Panda's is even faster, but it might not be as effective because of crowding in a smaller tub, and I recall seeing something about dividing loads up into two spin cycles. Which seems kind of onerous, but I think it's vastly preferable to using a commercial machine.

Kind of like my Splendide--people complain about the smaller loads and the wrinkles, but (1) if you know what you're doing, wrinkles aren't much of a problem, and (2) better two loads in my living room than one load in a laundromat, even if in both instances I'm just sitting around reading.

We've been fulltiming for 11 years and I've used laundromats maybe 15 or 20 times over those years (like if we're boondocking for an extended period), and in that limited experience I've had a set of sheets ruined because of unseen oil in a washing machine, lucked out by not using a dryer that the person who DID use it discovered had a melted crayon in it, and had a change machine eat a $20 bill that I had to get refunded by calling the people and having the money mailed to my address.

Never mind the blaring TVs, screaming kids, phone yammerers, smokers right outside the door, etc., that so often enhance the laundromat experience.

I think even something with the possible limitations of the Panda would be preferable to that.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevRedmond View Post
I've been considering buying the Panda PAN30 portable washer for the motorhome, in order to cut down on time and money spent at laundromats. I figure I can launder small things in the Panda, then dry them on a rack in the bathtub, and use laundromat for things like sheets and heavy towels. Budget and space constraints pretty much rule out apartment-size machines like I had in the 5er years ago.

Anyone out there who has done this? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Thanks!
Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance... I don't even have a RV yet but I'm planning on buying one in the near future - a Thor ACE 27.1 or something similar.

My question is why would you consider one of these all-in-one washer/dryer units like the LG WM3477HW. It seems to me this would take less room than that combo Panda product? Yes it's expensive but I'm guessing there's something similar offered by a offbrand manufacturer. Depending on what I actually buy, I would considering giving up a chair or something if I could do my lundry in my RV.

LG Front Load Washer / Dryer Combo WM3477HW: 24 inch, 2.6 cu.ft. All-in-One Front Load Washer / Dryer Combo with 6Motion™ Technology | LG Canada

Paul.
PaulJohn6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJohn6969 View Post
Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance... I don't even have a RV yet but I'm planning on buying one in the near future - a Thor ACE 27.1 or something similar.

My question is why would you consider one of these all-in-one washer/dryer units like the LG WM3477HW. It seems to me this would take less room than that combo Panda product? Yes it's expensive but I'm guessing there's something similar offered by a offbrand manufacturer. Depending on what I actually buy, I would considering giving up a chair or something if I could do my lundry in my RV.

LG Front Load Washer / Dryer Combo WM3477HW: 24 inch, 2.6 cu.ft. All-in-One Front Load Washer / Dryer Combo with 6Motion™ Technology | LG Canada

Paul.
Thank you for writing, Paul. Welcome to the RV community. My husband and I hope you find the lifestyle as rewarding as we have. We are currently on our fourth RV and have been fulltiming since 1993, with the exception of a while recently when we've had to hang up the keys for health reasons. We will be back on the road December 15.

We appreciate your input and wish you safe travels.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

PaulJohn6969, I'm not sure where you're getting the dimensions on these machines, but the Panda is considerably smaller than the combo unit you linked to. And the combo unit is about 15 times the price of the Panda.

Also, having a combo unit isn't just a matter of not having a chair because it has to be permanently installed, and RVs that DO have washer/dryer connections pretty much always have them in a cabinet. The Panda unit can be moved around and stored wherever there's room, and brought out only when being used. And don't be so sure you're willing to give up a chair in a 27' RV until you've tried it.

The OP specified that she had budget and space constraints. If you have neither, then a combo washer/dryer (or even stackables) is the obvious answer. But that's not the case here.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great topic! I have been looking at the panda for my vintage MH lately also and think that it is the way to go. The panda has a washer and the 'dryer' in a very compact unit, and uses less water than a ventless combo unit. I don't think that I would hang dry my clothes though but rather buy a panda or other small 110v dryer and put it in the out side storage compartment. I know that I would be buying 2 units but my older MH does not have the space for a combo unit and I would use it more for my kids clothes, they seem to go through more than us adults do. The only problem I have is I could not do it while on the road or if we take a day trip like the combo units but I con live with that.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
Great topic! I have been looking at the panda for my vintage MH lately also and think that it is the way to go. The panda has a washer and the 'dryer' in a very compact unit, and uses less water than a ventless combo unit. I don't think that I would hang dry my clothes though but rather buy a panda or other small 110v dryer and put it in the out side storage compartment. I know that I would be buying 2 units but my older MH does not have the space for a combo unit and I would use it more for my kids clothes, they seem to go through more than us adults do. The only problem I have is I could not do it while on the road or if we take a day trip like the combo units but I con live with that.
DDD.....I thought about a small dryer, but decided I don't want one and I'm not willing to sacrifice space for something I don't really love. I definitely want the washer, though, and I don't mind hanging things to dry in a ventilated area. I wouldn't hang wet clothes in a totally closed RV because of the moisture they would release into the air. Moisture can be death to an RV and I won't take that chance; however, I have no problem hanging them in the bathroom with a Fantastic vent fan going.

I've never lived with children in an RV. Mine were grown by the time Husband and I went fulltime. I admire folks who can successfully raise a young family in such a small space. It must be very rewarding.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevRedmond View Post
DDD.....I thought about a small dryer, but decided I don't want one and I'm not willing to sacrifice space for something I don't really love. I definitely want the washer, though, and I don't mind hanging things to dry in a ventilated area. I wouldn't hang wet clothes in a totally closed RV because of the moisture they would release into the air. Moisture can be death to an RV and I won't take that chance; however, I have no problem hanging them in the bathroom with a Fantastic vent fan going.

I've never lived with children in an RV. Mine were grown by the time Husband and I went fulltime. I admire folks who can successfully raise a young family in such a small space. It must be very rewarding.
I don't live in my MH but we try to use it as much as we can to get away for a weekend here and there. I would love to full-time but that will not be for at least another 17 year as I have a 1 year old. Good luck in your search and keep us updated on what you end up doing.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Hi Oatmeal,

To me, a washer & dryer must do the complete job and not just spin out the water like with the Panda... I have no interest in airing my landry in public even if it means a) having to pay more for the right product and b) taking more space in the RV.

Many RV's I've been looking at in and around 30 feet always have some space where's there's a closest, a chair, something that you can removed. Many small one's (like the 34' Thor Miramar or the equivilent Hurricane) even come with the water and drain hook ups in a 24" cupboard because the demand seems to be increasing for home conveniences in a moterhome. Some units can even have a combo unit installed in the bed room where a TV commonly is placed. Check out this YouTube video: .

After doing a little more reseach, I've found lots of washer/dryer combos that are smalled the the LG and take less space and water plus weigh less. The EdgeStar 2.0 Cu. Ft. model can wash up to 15 lbs and dry up to 7.71 lbs at a shot. It's about $900 is you shop around: EdgeStar 2.0 Cu. Ft. Ventless Washer Dryer Combo - CWD1510W. Since these units are all front loaders, you can use the space on top or even have a half cupboard about them. While the Pando is small, its still top loading!

Many of these units do not require venting using steam to heat up the drum and thus dry the close however from what I've red, it's bettey to get a model that does vent to the outside because it operates a whole lot faster and uses a bit less water (not that you would be washing close from your fresh water tank. The 2100XC from Splendide is a vented model and seems popular for factory installed units:

Perhaps $900 is too high a price for some but for me, I'll gladly spend the money if it means I don't have to use other peoples machines and can do the landry from the comfort of my own home!

Paul.
PaulJohn6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #14

Quote:
To me, a washer & dryer must do the complete job and not just spin out the water like with the Panda... I have no interest in airing my landry in public even if it means a) having to pay more for the right product and b) taking more space in the RV.
Those may be your criteria, but you asked why the OP wasn't considering a much more expensive washer/dryer. (I think that's what you asked, anyway--I inferred a "not" in your question in order to make it make sense.) It was clear from the first post why she was looking at the Panda: she doesn't want to pay a lot and she doesn't have a lot of space to work with.

Quote:
After doing a little more reseach, I've found lots of washer/dryer combos that are smalled the the LG and take less space and water plus weigh less. The EdgeStar 2.0 Cu. Ft. model can wash up to 15 lbs and dry up to 7.71 lbs at a shot. It's about $900 is you shop around
The dimensions of the EdgeStar are the same as the LG, and both are about the same size as my Splendide.

Quote:
Since these units are all front loaders, you can use the space on top or even have a half cupboard about them. While the Pando is small, its still top loading!
But it's not installed, like one of the combo washer/dryer units is, so it doesn't matter if it's top loading because it will be used out in the open, and you won't have to access the top of it when it's being stored.

Quote:
Many of these units do not require venting using steam to heat up the drum and thus dry the close however from what I've red, it's bettey to get a model that does vent to the outside because it operates a whole lot faster and uses a bit less water (not that you would be washing close from your fresh water tank. The 2100XC from Splendide is a vented model and seems popular for factory installed units:
I just noticed that both the LG and the EdgeStar you linked to are ventless. Ventless ones are vastly inferior to vented units. They take much much longer to dry than vented units (and vented combo units already take a lot longer than "regular" clothes dryers), and the drying process uses water. And for the record, I always operate from my fresh water tank, and don't leave my gray tank open. It all depends on the size of your holding tanks and how much water your washing machine uses (plus the dryer, if it's ventless).

Quote:
Perhaps $900 is too high a price for some but for me, I'll gladly spend the money if it means I don't have to use other peoples machines and can do the landry from the comfort of my own home!
$900 is still almost 5 times the cost of the Panda. And if ventless units were the only ones made, I might consider one but if there's a choice between vented and ventless, I'll absolutely go vented.

If you have plenty of space, most people will suggest getting a stackable washer/dryer. The combo unit does slow things down considerably because you can't wash and dry at the same time, and the drying cycle takes longer than a stand-alone dryer. And if you're not having to be budget-conscious, there are a ton of choices out there. But that's not the situation that most people considering a Panda are facing.