Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Remodel?

Can one actually purchase an older model RV and remodel it the way they want and save money instead of buying a brand new to of the line model? Or is it not worth it?
kidzrock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There's a lot of room between buying a new top of the line motor home and buying a really old one to "fix up".

I would generally recommend to buy used if on a budget but you might want to look for something gently used for just a few years. There are good deals out there now and you could find one and still have a few bucks left over to do the mods you'd like to have in it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would think yes. But we did not have the time or place to work on an old one, so we bit the bullet and bought new. We really like our Moho.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
kidzrock5,

Go to the vintage forum and look up "total rebuild" I think you will find this very helpful in answering this question. Harley1944 is doing a total rebuild on an older trailed. Read the whole post, pictures, Q&As, helpful hints, and costs. Not sure you want to go this in depth, but there is a lot of good info here and I watch because I find it fascinating and I want to see his finished rebuild.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

In 2010 we bought a 2000 Dutch Star. Since that time we've remodeled a little at a time to where we now have a much more livable coach. Removed head banger TV and put it into a cabinet with a lift across from the two recliners we put in to replace the couch. We now have a residential refrigerator which should of been the first thing we did, new carpet, solar, full body paint job, and other odds and ends. The best thing is it's all paid for.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzrock5 View Post
Can one actually purchase an older model RV and remodel it the way they want and save money instead of buying a brand new to of the line model? Or is it not worth it?
I know I am responding to an old question, but I believe it is still valid.

I do not have a great deal of money to invest, and wanted a motor home. I used Craigs list, found a great fixer upper for very short money. (It was ugly, but ran reasonably well)

That was an 85 Chevy Class C, and I did have to do some work on it. I replaced some brake lines, the carburetor, and took out the carpets and installed flooring that I liked.

For 3 years we used that camper (wife, two kids, me and the dog) and had a good time with it.

I bought it for $1000.00, and spend about $700.00 in parts over the 3 years. At that rate, I was happy that I got my money's worth, just from the fun we had.

Last fall I decided to upgrade to a larger class A that I found, as the kids are now teenagers, and the wife did not want to use the bunk over the cab anymore.

I found a great Class A with a wacky and weird story behind it, but it was in better shape (the truck was, the cabin needed a great cleaning) than the Class C was when I bought it.

I sold that $1000 class C for $2800, and the buyer was very, VERY happy.

My class A cost me only $700, and I already sold a chest freezer that was in it for $100.

I am in the process of fixing it up, and have begun rebuilding the bedroom to reflect what I want it to be like. I will also replace the carpeting and other projects, but expect to have a good time doing so.

So... I do believe if you have the place to work on it, and the skill set, and the desire, you can truly buy an older fixer upper and save some money.

On my budget, if I could not do that, I would not own one.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel