Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #15

Well there we go, I think everyone agrees, it's a bad idea. Suggest to your friend that there are other sources for renting RV's, try Camping World or if there are any others in your area. It's just a way too expensive toy for you to rent out.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #16

I was approached by two of my good friends who half jokingly made the same proposal for the Daytona 500. I said the only way the MH was going to the race was if I was going along. Lo and behold they found a third ticket and we had a fantastic time. Just a thought.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
For all of the above I would agree but one that no one has talked about.
Insurance coverage, yours will not provide coverage because you are renting
it out and his will not because he is not the owner.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #18

I don't lend out any of my vehicles. I know what they should sound like, pay attention to every noise and find out what is wrong before more damage is done. Would a renter, friend or relative do the same?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you are planning to join them there, "Sorry, Reliable Friend, my insurance won't cover it, but here's a link and phone # to an RV rental company".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. I get the message loud and clear!
meffrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #21

In the end you have to remember that there is a saying in the rental world: "Don't be gentle, it's a rental!"

Mike
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #22

NO NADA NOPE NEVER Its mine if he wants to go camping let him buy his own I did he can.Hope your getting the picture.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #23

I'll let family members borrow yard equipment, or even my utility trailer. But I would never, in a million years, let them borrow my TT, motorhome, whatever. First of all, they don't have a stake in it. They don't pay the payments, they don't pay the insurance, they don't do the maintenance. They think its all "fun and games." Until the unthinkable happens. Just a good idea to never let it get that far....
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #24

Ask me for a loan.... talk bad about my momma... tell everyone my parents aren't married..make me write bad checks..... but don't EVER ask to rent my motorhome !! LOL!! If my parents want to use it, I take it to the campground, set it up and let them enjoy... they don't have to drive it or operate anything ( though I'm sure dad could handle it and he knows how to operate the awning, so thats safe.) Then I go back and pick it up. Its less stress on all concerned..LOL
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, don't do it.

My dad had a rule, "I do not loan anything with an engine, or electric motor on/in it!". That is just one of many rules dad taught me that I agree with and still abide by. The 'can I borrow' thing just came up last month. My daughter and son-in-law just rented a house and needed a lawn mower. She ask me to borrow my mower. I found one on Craig's list, bought it and it gave to them. I follow 'dads rule' even with my family. No, I'm not saying to buy them a MH, but as was already stated, there are several places to rent RV's.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by meffrig View Post
Thanks for the advice. I get the message loud and clear!
So here's the other side.
I fly planes. If you think it's easy to damage a motorhome, you'd be shocked by what it costs to ding or nick an airplane.

It's in a share. Why? Because the things are darn expensive and unless you're really committed to that particular vehicle, you'll need some financial support...

What I'm saying is that with the right partner, it can be done and it can work out for everyone. Have a look at typical motorhome rental rates, require an insurance binder, and decide if your friend has enough situation awareness to handle a motorhome and associated systems....

If you're really worried about it, offer to drive it there for him and drive it home.

Course, I'd probably wait until it had a few more miles on it... Then again, I don't buy new ones.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #27

I'm 1+ Rinkersranch
My old man never loaned/rented "toys" to friends or family, if he didn't go his toys stayed home. he said No one time everybody knew the rule.
Now I'm the same because I have seen what can happen.
I have 5 brothers and sisters they have familys, my wife has 5 brothers and sisters they have familys, now I have three kids and they are starting familys, then your friends I have none, LOL but you get the picture I hope.
It never ends if you let one person use it, everyone you know will ask to use it. I'm talking mostly about motorhome, boat, jeeps, ATV, jetskis, "toys".
If someone needs to borrow the lawn mower, or weed eater, chainsaw etc. thats OK they are work tools and no body borrows them to enjoy them at your expense and I'm not fond of my lawn mower. LOL
Best to direct them to a rental company, you will not make $$ renting out your toys and you might have hard feeling that could last a life time.

Not worth it in my book!
cam_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #28

Others will borrow it. You will fix it. You will pay for those repairs. It may never be the same again.

You'll have to "repossess" it when you want to use it again.

Do you want to turn friends and family into enemies? There's any easy way to accomplish this: let them rent or borrow your prize possessions. It happens time and again.

The reason i have had my toys is because i achieved the financial ability to do so So, just why would others want to use what I have? Be aide they have failed to make that achievement.

When I'm asked I have a one word reply-NO. The unachievers will get over it.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote