RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Smile Retirement help please

Hello,
My husband will be retiring next year and we have been thinking for a while about buying a RV and traveling for a couple of years throughout the US. We were thinking about getting rid of most of our junk and putting what's important in storage near one of our kids.
When he retires we were going to buy a house with property but now we are thinking of buying the RV and traveling for a couple of years then selling that and buy our property. Has anyone done this before? If so, how hard was it to actually accomplish this? I am new to this site and was looking for a great place to get a lot of our questions answered and maybe help in make the right choices.
Thanks
Jennifer

georgiapumpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

It's called fulltiming.

Full-Timers - iRV2 Forums

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't full time, but we have a house on property and we travel a lot. Here's what I suggest.

Rent a unit and give it a try. It's not for everyone and you might hate it. You don't even have to go very far. Just take a week end or even a week or two and try living in an RV.

Personally I don't want to full time. I like the creature comforts of a nice home with neighbors and all along with holidays with children and family.

That said however, I do enjoy taking our trips getting away from bad weather or just boring times of the year. We go up to six weeks to two months at a time but I am always glad to get back home.

Some folks really enjoy the full timing and don't want the responsibility of maintaining a stick and brick home. You might be two of those.

I guess I'm just saying, don't jump all the way into the lake until you stick your toes in the water for a few days.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We don't full time, but we have a house on property and we travel a lot. Here's what I suggest.

Rent a unit and give it a try. It's not for everyone and you might hate it. You don't even have to go very far. Just take a week end or even a week or two and try living in an RV.

Personally I don't want to full time. I like the creature comforts of a nice home with neighbors and all along with holidays with children and family.

That said however, I do enjoy taking our trips getting away from bad weather or just boring times of the year. We go up to six weeks to two months at a time but I am always glad to get back home.

Some folks really enjoy the full timing and don't want the responsibility of maintaining a stick and brick home. You might be two of those.

I guess I'm just saying, don't jump all the way into the lake until you stick your toes in the water for a few days.
This is what my wife and I did. We rented a couple of different RVs and traveled to various locations to find what we liked. Our house has been sold and the worldly possessions we wanted to keep are in storage. We live in our RV full-time and also work full time as we're not retired yet. For us, this works, but we now know we need a house. So, we're building one to have our "own space" as the RV can be cramped at times. You definitely need to look at the costs of repairs, or how you would repair your own RV.

Anyway, you've been provided sound advice. I hope whatever you chose to do leads to happy days of retirement.

Rob
Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Yes, you can do that. There are a few complications like domicile, health care, etc. but nothing that can't be overcome. You'd be doing yourself a favor by doing a little research. Again, it's not rocket science but there are some things that you need to be aware of.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #6

A new RV looses value faster than a falling rock!

This is one thing to remember that a new RV looses value faster than a falling rock in the first few years. So if money is no restriction and you like new after settling on class A, B, C, or trailer and the sizes in the class of choice (as mentioned above try em out via rental to get the feel for driving, staying etc).

Also remember that if you are into national, state and local campgrounds the number of sites available is more the smaller the unit because a 22 footer can park in a 42 ft spot but not the other way around etc...

Storing your goods will have to be in a controlled environment to keep moisture etc from damaging the stuff.

Extended trips in RV are fantastic and you can optimize your fuel usage while covering lots of places without having to return back to home location. Needless to say you can also seek out the weather and seasonal festivals you want at will.

Home ownership expense savings will also boost your RV mode budget a bit as there won't be the taxes on property, utilities, insurance, maintenance etc. Though you will have expenses on the rig, fuel, insurance camping spot rental etc.

BTW many many campgrounds these days have internet available as do McD etc just make sure you have security software and services on your computer and smart phone.

Come on out and enjoy the Americas, they have been great ever since formed, and USofA has been greater than great since the democracy was formed to escape autocratic kings or dictators .
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Recommend you try it, full timing for a period of time.....5-6 months to get feel. We retired and picked up a gas class A and hit the road for a year. Kept S&B which we went back too. Been snowbird half timer's for last 19 years. On third DP which deprecates while our house and land appreciates. You have to end up somewhere in the future. No body full times till their dead.....If they have a choice.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #8

Appreciating asset to balance a depreciating asset or viceaversa!

The OP does want to only try FT for a couple 3 years before resettling into a home/property near their kids. I am sure if a real great deal came along the kids will notify em and they will pounce on it.

Dunno if I agree with you about no one full times if they have a choice, because in your statement its a choice after all.

The ole adage of Ownership has its privileges is great, and home ownership is grand while the appreciation rates are all over the page as are the taxes and expenses in maintaining the same. The net effect may be surprising to many. The RV does depreciate specially fast early on, no matter the fuel it uses. The depreciation rate does tend to ease after a bit.

The other worry is with squatters and what not as well with extended absences, these are crazy days so we all must tread carefully and be ready for what may. Though the OP did say they will be near the kids and relatives so that is a good thing.

Fore warned and Fore armed is better than not under almost all circumstances.

Keeping in the know from various real and reliable sources of news, local, national and even international is a great great thing, I do worry about how difficult it is to read news on line as more and more things are going to pictures and video clips.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
"Dunno if I agree with you about no one full times if they have a choice, because in your statement its a choice after all."

"No body full times till their dead.....If they have a choice."

May have been a little harsh....sorry.

Heres a sad story. Met full timing couple that put all their assets in hi $$ RV to full time. Developed senior health issues, as we all can do. RV had depreciated to nothing. They had no means/plan as to what to do when they couldn't full time any longer. They put themselves in a no choice situation.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
"Dunno if I agree with you about no one full times if they have a choice, because in your statement its a choice after all."

"No body full times till their dead.....If they have a choice."

May have been a little harsh....sorry.

Heres a sad story. Met full timing couple that put all their assets in hi $$ RV to full time. Developed senior health issues, as we all can do. RV had depreciated to nothing. They had no means/plan as to what to do when they couldn't full time any longer. They put themselves in a no choice situation.
There are stories like this that have nothing to do with full-time like couple in early 20's buys house, car, rv, boat husband gets laid off they lose everything. I am just saying poor planning and/or management have no a thing to do with Full time rv, part time rv or no rv
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our plan is to get rid of all our accumulation, sell the house, and bank the equity. It is too big for us anyway now. We will live in the current rv until I retire in 5-6 years and decide from there whether to buy another rv, keep this one, or buy a smaller house with the banked equity to live in a fixed location and travel from there. We already camp locally for a couple of weeks at time and I just go to work from there so we know we can live in the RV.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

There are a couple of advantages to the way your thinking. As you travel you are likely to find an area you really like and can better plan where you want to land a house and property. I bought property (raw land) ten years ago where I was sure I wanted to retire. After traveling some now i'm not so sure. Point is, I think you have a great plan. i agree, rent a bit. Maybe deliver a new rig for Cruise America. i did that a couple times and it was cheap and fun, though delivering it in Phoenix traffic at 75 mph was a bit much. All in all a good experience on the cheap and gave us a chance to see if we liked RVing at all.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #13

Or you can stay in a Holiday Inn
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you have never owned an RV before, you need to do a lot of research on the life style before doing it or as others have stated, rent one.

If you do it, I would recommend forgoing the cost of a storage unit. We got rid of everything but a few boxes, which we have stored in my son’s basement for free. Many full timers regret using storage units because in short order, the cost of storage often exceeds the value of the stuff you stored.

pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote