Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

Roadside Assist-To Buy or Not to Buy

I am still fairly new to RVing. Currently have GS which expires end of this month (July). Without looking up insurance policy for specifics, I do know they cover towing, so my question is; if my current insurance company covers towing, why would I need Good Sam or another company? To be honest, I'd rather change a flat and get it done with than to wait on a company to come do it for me. I'm basically trying to justify renewing GS membership or a membership from a more recommended roadside assistance company. Any information would be much appreciated!
1SGLEwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #2

We could probably give better advice if we knew what sort of RV you have, and how you use it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have AARP/Hartford on cars and motorhome. The motorhome policy includes Road Service at no extra cost. Full coverage on the MH is $220.00 per year with coverage limit of $15,000.00 on the MH. I have used it 5 times, without complaint, except one time the service man didn't have the proper tools, so he used mine. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You need to compare the details of the coverage that comes with your insurance policy and the various other roadside assistance plans. An example, if it helps, Coach Net will tow as far as they have to to reach a repair facility and they cover both my pickup truck and my travel trailer.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was on the fence about purchasing a separate roadside coverage policy. Contacted my insurance carrier, State Farm, and both the TV and 5'er are covered in the event we need to have a tire changed or towed to a facility for repair.

There's a great (recent) you-tube video from Long Long Honeymoon (loloho) discussing this topic at length titled "THE TRUTH ABOUT RV ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (AAA, Good Sam, etc.)" see link

It's worth the watch to get their perspective on what you do and don't need. I figured they've ran the gamut of issues and their needs while on the road for 12 years and was very informative for us.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

State Farm towed my 35 foot motorhome 52 miles at no cost to me at all.

Now a few things to consider:
Will the roadside assistance company come onto private property, like a campground to get to you? A lot will not.

Will the roadside assistance tow you any distance to get service?

Will roadside assistance choose where they tow you, or will you have some input?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 AM   #7

Check your insurance company.
Might get it for cheap from them.

My USAA provides all my RSA.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM 6.7 4x4 View Post
Was on the fence about purchasing a separate roadside coverage policy. Contacted my insurance carrier, State Farm, and both the TV and 5'er are covered in the event we need to have a tire changed or towed to a facility for repair.

There's a great (recent) you-tube video from Long Long Honeymoon (loloho) discussing this topic at length titled "THE TRUTH ABOUT RV ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (AAA, Good Sam, etc.)"
It's worth the watch to get their perspective on what you do and don't need. I figured they've ran the gamut of issues and their needs while on the road for 12 years and was very informative for us.
They seem to be a bit confused about several points. But it does point out that before buyin, one needs to read the fine print. As for depending on the RSA POC for local service. Which may not work, and you will have to get it do. They will reimburse for fees paid. I have done it several times.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had State Farm with my TT the Roadside Assistance paid for the driver to come out but I had to pay the bill and they reimbursed me when I got home. With GS I had RA 3 times for flat tires and at $250.00 a pop it was well worth it. Just changed to FMCA and their RA as it was cheaper and offered so much more WHICH I HOPE I never have to use.

Its your decision - Drive safe & enjoy - Richard
Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
When I had State Farm with my TT the Roadside Assistance paid for the driver to come out but I had to pay the bill and they reimbursed me when I got home. With GS I had RA 3 times for flat tires and at $250.00 a pop it was well worth it. Just changed to FMCA and their RA as it was cheaper and offered so much more WHICH I HOPE I never have to use.

Its your decision - Drive safe & enjoy - Richard
That is only true if in the rare occurrence that State Farm or the company they use for dispatch and coordination doesn't have a contract with a towing company in the area. Several months ago using my State Farm Roadside Assistance my coach had to be towed 52 miles and I wasn't out a dime.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Which is why it is so important to read and understand the fine print.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGLEwis View Post
ITo be honest, I'd rather change a flat and get it done with than to wait on a company to come do it for me. I'm basically trying to justify renewing GS membership or a membership from a more recommended roadside assistance company. Any information would be much appreciated!

I am also of the camp that would not want to wait even 5 min for help to change a tire. This has served me well over the years and as long as I have the tools and ability, it's my method of choice. Too each their own.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #13

I have changed my own tire in less time than it took the GS folks to get to me. However, that was on a car. I'm sure there are a few out there who would change the 22.5" tires on a dp, but I am not equipped or inclined to try to wrestle with one of those. I will still change car tires, but not one on the mh.

Had GS for several years and did use them on a number of occasions. Three tire failures in one day one time. Now those calls did get to be a bit confusing as GS folks were saying we already sent someone to help you. We are now with FMCA and will always have some coverage from someone. Who that will be can change.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #14

Big heavy RVs with big heavy tires

I agree with the people that can change a small tire but I would not try to remove a truck tire on a 22.5" rim. And you have no spare so what do you do if you could get it off ?? I have Geico RV ins and it comes with roadside assistance that will fix an RV tire.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote