Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Stretching the food budget

Some of you may already know about this, but it is the one thing that saves me a lot of money on food. I buy dry goods in bulk, beans 40#, flour 50#, etc. etc. and then I dry can it.

Prepare mason jars like you were canning, set your oven at 200deg, I use pints for beans and rice, and quarts for flour, oatmeal and pasta, or you can use half gallon jars. Fill jars with what you want to dry can, place jars on a cookie sheet in the oven. Let set at 200 for an hour, remove one at a time and put a clean scalded lid on the jar. (USE GLOVES!! JARS ARE HOT!!) they will seal and last for years. Bug proof, mouse proof and can store in the box your jars came in. I am using part of my basement as food storage. You can not do sugar, but you can do jerky this way too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

I don't think you have to can sugar. Just seal it and store it. As long as you keep the moisture out it will not cake and nothing will grow on it. Sugar itself destroys bacteria by sucking the moisture out of cells.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

the Dry canning is a great idea. This is the first I heard about it. I have a good quality food dehydrator that I use to dry items I either grow at home or I buy in large quantity when in season. I store them in jars and load up as much as I can before heading out. I dry green beans, Kale, apples, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, herbs, and other fruits.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just what I need....FIFTY pounds of flour in my travel trailer next to FORTY pounds of beans.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Throw in a sack of Arbuckles and you are ready for the trail drive...

Seriously, if you are doing it in quart jars it works well for the RV. Unless you are full timing just take a jar or two at a time. The rest keeps at home. If something happens you are not in the line looking to get food before the emergency of the moment.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Throw in a sack of Arbuckles and you are ready for the trail drive...

Seriously, if you are doing it in quart jars it works well for the RV. Unless you are full timing just take a jar or two at a time. The rest keeps at home. If something happens you are not in the line looking to get food before the emergency of the moment.
This is good advice.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

The biggest thing is to eat in the RV and limit full service restaurants to 1 meal per week. Our biggest wasteful expenditure is eating out in full service restaurants. Add tax and tip to already overpriced food and you break the bank. We try to stock the basics so we can throw together more nutritious meals. I always include a fresh vegie or salad when available, whole grain bread, fruit, good quality nuts and seeds, fresh dairy, eggs. I ate breakfast out today and paid $18.37 for a fruit waffle and hot tea, ridiculous. I guess with tip I spent $23.37. Crazy!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Top Ramen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two'fer coupons for restaurants.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Medium Ramen is good too and not as heavy as FIFTY pounds of flour and FORTY pounds of beans.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

whatever floats your boat
I go buy food and it lasts me for a week to 3 weeks depending on what we buy. I eat ever day and when something runs low or out we re-shop
I see absolutely no point what so ever in canning flour and beans and storing in the storage areas in my MH
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can cook most anything, asking as the label is legible. (-:

We load up on low calorie frozen meals when in sale - usually under $2. Couple with a salad and fruit for desert. Healthy and cheap.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I can cook most anything, asking as the label is legible. (-:

We load up on low calorie frozen meals when in sale - usually under $2. Couple with a salad and fruit for desert. Healthy and cheap.
LOL at that deal lifes too short for me to eat that stuff (ugg)
lamb chops, chicken breasts, big shrimp, strip loin, pork chops
cat fish, rice,roast potatoes, noodles, all week long
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I buy what I normally buy for food. I just transfer all the meats from my house freezer to the RV freezer. Canned veggies, beans and potatoes are already stocked up as well as breakfast foods.

If I need to get more groceries, I go to a Walmart.

I took a three-week RV trip last month and did no dinner restaurant eating, just occasional breakfasts at local Scottish restaurants (i.e., McDonalds) while on the road and that's it. I saved a lot of money cooking my own meals.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote