Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #1

Thrifty Kitchen - Dinnerware and Bowls

All,

I came up with a unique solution to my dinnerware.

I do not want to deal with
  • not needed cups or saucers
  • excessive space used via stoneware
  • limited dinnerware lifespan at camp
  • broken stoneware/glassware
  • difficult to reheat on campfire or grill

At walmart, I found Steel 8" cakepans NOT nonstick for my plates - They were marked at $3.00 (paper plate fits RIGHT in there)

Wilton Perfect Performance 8 inch Round Pan - Walmart.com

I found 3 cup ($3) and 5 cup ($5) Stainless Steel bowls at BigLots.
(Sorry, no link)

These are STURDY, attractive AND can be used for salads, soups, sauces and such.
I use a induction cooktop (PIC2) and love how you can keep stuff warm with the steel bowls.
or can use the grill
or can use the campstove
or can use the campfire
(no microwave, sorry I am not a fan of them)

The most important positive (for me) is that they stack up TIGHT. 6 steel cake pans take up less space than 2 stoneware plates.

Feel free to provide other suggestions to your thrifty kitchen.
IowbRlbfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

Thanks for the info on the steel bowls and induction.

Not a Wal Mart person, so I will be looking for cake pans somewhere else. May try out the Big Lot's down the street.

Have been using the Induction cook top for a couple years now. Recently purchased a pair of those from the infomercial, as backups. Have a Fagor (from Camping World) that's the oldest, and will use it primarily until it quits (if ever). Might have to get the another one down to try out the keep warm feature. (once i get the steel bowls).

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowbRlbfw View Post
All,

I came up with a unique solution to my dinnerware.

I do not want to deal with
  • not needed cups or saucers
  • excessive space used via stoneware
  • limited dinnerware lifespan at camp
  • broken stoneware/glassware
  • difficult to reheat on campfire or grill

At walmart, I found Steel 8" cakepans NOT nonstick for my plates - They were marked at $3.00 (paper plate fits RIGHT in there)

Wilton Perfect Performance 8 inch Round Pan - Walmart.com

I found 3 cup ($3) and 5 cup ($5) Stainless Steel bowls at BigLots.
(Sorry, no link)

These are STURDY, attractive AND can be used for salads, soups, sauces and such.
I use a induction cooktop (PIC2) and love how you can keep stuff warm with the steel bowls.
or can use the grill
or can use the campstove
or can use the campfire
(no microwave, sorry I am not a fan of them)

The most important positive (for me) is that they stack up TIGHT. 6 steel cake pans take up less space than 2 stoneware plates.

Feel free to provide other suggestions to your thrifty kitchen.
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Well I am a fan of microwave and use it for almost everything. I use glass coffee cups (found by the gross in thrift markets). I have three sizes, reg, larger diam for the egg mcmuffin and larger for bacon, hotdogs mashed potatoes and warming up steak (cook the steak in a george forman and don`t want to mess it up just warming. Use styrofoam 12oz cups and paper saucers and glass pint jars to drink from (some stuff melts styrofoam).
I can tell how to cook all the stuff later.
See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We prefer the microwave/convection oven for cooking, unless we want to grill and smoke but since Thom is not retired that's reserved for weekends and party stuff. China dishes and bowls that can be used in the microwave and oven. Pint glasses for some drinks and wide mouth mason jars for larger drinks. Oh and can't forget the shot glasses.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #5

Oh...I forgot to mention.....should power go out...and generators not be viable.

Steel will last and not break.

I guess I like to be prepared.
IowbRlbfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I guess different strokes for different folks. I don't mind eating off paper once in awhile, but for the most part I like using my stoneware, glass coffee cups and glass wine glasses. I hate drinking out of plastic. I use my cast iron skillets for most meals and everything can go in the micro/convection oven. I guess alot depends on the space you have and the amount of stuff you need to put in it. I want to feel like home since the MH is my home and don't mind the extra work.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #7

Same as bsirby. We equipped our RV about like our house was. We even have the same flatware for house and RV. Correl for dishes and a good set of pots and pans for inside cooking. Outside I have a nice 11 inch cast iron skillet for the gas stove. Most dinners are grilles, Breakfast and lunch are fixed inside. It is not hard to wash a couple of dishes. Paper plates are for hot dogs and potato salad at a picnic, not for my RV.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Same as bsirby. We equipped our RV about like our house was. We even have the same flatware for house and RV. Correl for dishes and a good set of pots and pans for inside cooking. Outside I have a nice 11 inch cast iron skillet for the gas stove. Most dinners are grilles, Breakfast and lunch are fixed inside. It is not hard to wash a couple of dishes. Paper plates are for hot dogs and potato salad at a picnic, not for my RV.

We are not full timers but our MH is also equipped similar to our home. I am not fond of paper plates however I do stock my RV with large paper boats similar to what you get take out french fries served in. I purchase them in bulk from our local restaurant supply and they are very reasonable. The advantages are you can stack 50 - 70 in a very small space and when carrying them outside your hotdogs and hamburgers stay put even if you tip a little. I also use them at home for serving my grandchildren snacks... again most of the snacks make it to the mouth and not the floor.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #9

Check WestMarine.com for dishes bowls glasses (acrilic non breakable) stackable and dishes have rubber rings on the bottom. No noise no movement and they look first class for your family and friends to dine.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nifty idea! I always love to hear about these things.

We do love our classic stoneware and have RV'd with it fulltime for 5 years without any incident. Our thrifty idea was to buy a roll of "grip" liner, cut it to shape and use it between our plates and bowls. Tight and no noise.

For wine and cocktail glasses I use a wine bottle box (one of the ones you get for free at the store) lined with foam. All glasses fit tight and never rattle.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love the stainless nesting bowls. Easy to clean and pack so well. Mine came with plastic snap on lids too. I have Corel dishes and mugs but do use paper plates often. When we go camping I am on vacation too and try to reduce dishwashing.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

Put a paper plate between each plate to keep them from rattling when you're on the road.
Just us 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I guess different strokes for different folks. I don't mind eating off paper once in awhile, but for the most part I like using my stoneware, glass coffee cups and glass wine glasses. I hate drinking out of plastic. I use my cast iron skillets for most meals and everything can go in the micro/convection oven. I guess alot depends on the space you have and the amount of stuff you need to put in it. I want to feel like home since the MH is my home and don't mind the extra work.
I agree whole heartedly!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plastic Frizbee's work great holding as snack trays, (chips, nuts, hot dogs and burgers in buns, paper plate holder, and are both kid and pet friendly.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote