Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #15
BEC

We are on our 2nd class A both purchased 5 years old so not new. We knew we would not be able financially or physically RV more than 10 years. Financially we may to change to a small travel week stay life style rather than our current go far stay for months style but will never regret the 7 or 8 years we enjoyed. If you can , just do it.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #16

I have a cousin that always wanted a sailboat. When he retired he bought a 35ft O'Day. He loved it but forgot to tell his wife that he was buying it. She refused to go out on the water with him and only came to the dock one time in the few years that he owned it. So then he talks to her about selling the boat and buying an RV she goes along with it If he buy and NEW trailer and a New tow vehicle. So he does, they go out on the road once and she gets sick so they cut their 2 week trip down to 4 days. Next trip another 2 week jaunt. He plans every day driving every night a different stop. SHE HATED IT! when the got back they sold it all at one huge loss. The end of HIS dream! By the way he would not listen to any advise from me or my wife or anyone else
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
There is some truth in that saying in more than rv'ing. [emoji57]
Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
We hear it all time time as a couple in our 30s....travel now before you get old.

I have never understood why people wait to travel, especially in the age of technology when you can work from anywhere with an internet connection. I get it, retirements means you can sell your house and other stuff to afford the lifestyle of full time rving, but if you don't get a super luxury model, the job of maintaining it and setting it up will exhaust you.

My wife and I have bounced back and forth ourselves due to the task. We full timed for about 8 months (class A that has issues), stayed with family for about 6 months, full timed for another 6 months (older tavel trailer), live din Airbnbs for about 8 months and back to the travel trailer lifestyle.

Part of it is having realistic expectations and having enough comforts to outweigh the unavoidable things that aren't so comfortable. It's also knowing yourself and how you prefer to travel.

Personally, I think you have to commit to at least 6 months and stay at multiple types of campgrounds to have a clue what you like. Some people prefer the resorts, while others prefer to boondock. My wife and I tried many things the first time around and if the Class A hadn't broke down, we'd probably never stopped. However, the truck/travel trailer fits our needs and wants better.

This isn't a unique story, however, as we have met/read about many others that last a month, maybe 3 and give it up.

Benjamin Ehinger
I traveled extensively when I was in my teens and 20's and that was the mantra then, Do it while you are young. That was good advice. It gets tougher physically and emotionally to make big changes when you get older.
We didn't make big retirement plans or monetary goals to sacrifice for so we have enjoyed a lot of adventure along the way. Now that we are retired (semi for me) We feel no need to make any drastic changes. We will likely never be full timers. We love our house and living in the city. We also don't like large RV's. our older 23' motor home keeps us comfortable for the 2-3 months at a time we travel. It also doesn't cost much to own or operate.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo camper View Post
Snip:
The day finally came and they were off to fulfill their lifetime dream. Two weeks later they were back home and sold the camper. This was definitely a case of wanting being more fun than having.
Does anyone have any similar experiences. Welcome any comments and thoughts.
Considering RVing that probably happens more often than is generally recognized. How many 1-2 year old RV's are for sale because the owner is disillusioned with RVing.

You can research something to death but still be disappointed because doing it is not the same as reading about it.

For us we bought our first and hopefully last motor home a 40 DP. Most people would opinion that doing that is risky not knowing weather you would like this activity. But we had a cruising motor boat for 7 years and spent considerable time on it with a couple of lengthy cruises, so we kinda knew what RVing is about. There were no surprises.

For someone with no experience in RVing or related activities it would make a lot of sense to start out small and be able to cut their losses if it wasn't for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo camper View Post
I think you are right. For some folks there is no place like home. I think you absolutely have to have no commitments to be able to enjoy being away.
Not so. We have several commitments at home that people rely on us. But they know we are gone for 4 months in the summer.

We have close friends that are full timers but spend the winter months close to home and fulfill their commitments then.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #20

I grow up in a house that you work for what you have, you only buy what you can pay cash for, det is the devil don’t let it own you.

With that said I saw my father work himself to the point of breaking his body long before retirement age.
I remember hearing my whole life, I'm going to do that when I retire, oh someday, I can't wait to do this or that when I retire.
Well, I watched my dad work himself tell his body was completely war out.
His love and passion for fishing the oceans are still there, unfortunately, his body just can't handle the motion of the ocean, his body is riddled with the aches and pains of a man that worked his life in construction, he wore himself out.

I am the youngest of five kids, so I'm blessed to be able to see my older siblings uncles and cousins go through a lot of the same thing.
We were taught as kids work really hard so you can have a nice retirement and enjoy your retirement….. Bla bla bal……
Well, I'm here to tell you none of them have enjoyed their retirement. Most of them work to the day they died or were physically unable to work anymore and forced into retirement. Now that their bodies are shot, they physically can't do long drives, they physically can't do any of the things they planned on. Example:. ever since I was a young man I always wanted to go Marlin fishing with my father. Well, last year I planned the dream trip to Rancho Leonero for some world-class strip marlin fishing…I was paying all everything for him…. He said no, he fiercely could not handle the trip, he was so sorry…….. I bought a painting 20 years ago, of an Abstract of two people on the back of a boat holding a Marlin I always pictured it to be me and my father now I look at it as a reminder on why not to waste time way you still can.

Needless to say, I have always believed and played as you go program cuz I'm not going to die saying I wish I would have done that like the rest of my family. Well, I'll tell you this my whole family as I was growing up always said I was crazy, I would never have anything, I squander my money on wasteful things….. now for the ones that are still alive they say wow you really knew what you were doing. as they were never able to do the things that I've done because I was able to physically able when I was younger and able to work double shifts to pay for it.

Now as I'm getting older (retired) I am finding myself having limitations with life however I'm still going, I'm still living my life day by day and the day that I stop having fun will be the day they put me in the ground.

I hope this helps some younger person, Live your life way you have it. no one is promised tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.133.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	234179   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 surf.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	234180  

Name:	70's party.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	234182   Click image for larger version

Name:	39879_1557100010098_1313187541_1441785_617283_n.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	234183  

Name:	DSCF0952.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	234184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1060.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	234185  

Name:	.thanking god.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	598.3 KB
ID:	234186   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0660.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	234187  

Name:	20180821_092450.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	234188  
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #22

Mr. Outdoor, Dude you rock. Keep sending us postcards so we may see the possibilities.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Reality check: not everyone can work remotely with nothing more than a decent computer and internet connection. My own example, these gas lines won't check themselves for leaks (yet).

This is very true... I know that after 24 years as a LEO,
I still have not been smart enough or lucky enough to find a way to work from home....
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
S&B is on the market and when it sells we're off to give FT'ing a good go at it. We're downsizing anyway and have no desire to make another move into a smaller S&B anytime soon so what the heck, lets give this FT'ing lifestyle a try is our mantra. Have traveled most of my life and have felt "trapped" in current situation as this has been the longest we've been at any point in our lives, 18 years. The job was just too good to give up and came with pension, don't hear much about those anymore! We have traveled quite extensively while being in this one place for 18 years and don't regret any of it, the job was very good to us. Our only regret is that we've been stationary for too long, get antsy as wanderlust hits us pretty hard. We both get the nomad blues when being in one place for so long.

My dad also said he wanted to travel and see the good ole USofA and was gonna one day get out and do it. Always talked about getting to see the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc. He died not seeing much out of his living room window after retiring. Of course he did have an illness but he let that get in his way of living. Was just too darn afraid of taking that fist step. People are afraid of change and become set in their ways. We're not just talking about it but are actually taking those steps to fulfill our dreams of just going where we end up and taking our time getting there. Safe travels and may our paths cross somewhere between here and there.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #25

Hauling a TT around to see the country's Nat'l parks solo hasn't been a lifelong dream for me, just the past 10 years or so, as I get closer to retirement, has the dream developed.
I have the truck, I have the TT, and I still have the dream. I'm getting out and about on shorter trips and learning the ropes.

But retirement is looming soon, about 15 months, certainly less than 2 years. The idea is frightening, and exciting, too. I've worked all my life, raised my kids, and didn't have the opportunity to travel much more than family vacations. We made the best of those, though.

I'll travel as much as I can while I can, but it won't be full time. I like the roots of home.
Maybe it won't be like I've been dreaming about, but I already know there is a down side to it. I think I'm prepared to face that, and to make the best of what I come across. That's a big part of successfully "living the dream", understanding that it ain't always all it's cracked up to be, but still able to appreciate what you do get.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
No it sounds like more delusional BS. People trying to rationalize they didn't do what was nesacarrey to make their future dreams come true. Some people can't visualize doing anything outside of the rut they live in.
Bill
I don't think it's BS at all.. It's not very important though in where this is true in my life.. I plan to full time, and this waiting is NOT fun because I want to leave already and retire!

BUT.... I play world of warcraft and I am leveling characters and going through dungeons and raids in order to get good gear, and that aspect is 100% more fun than when you have everything you need with nowhere to go.

So it's true in certain circumstances I guess, but I am NOT having fun waiting to go full time and retire. I would give almost anything to leave now. I play fantasy football daily and have a chance each week to win a million (about 1-500,00 chance) and if I won even 200k in 4th or whatever place I am done! and gone!
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
Hauling a TT around to see the country's Nat'l parks solo hasn't been a lifelong dream for me, just the past 10 years or so, as I get closer to retirement, has the dream developed.
I have the truck, I have the TT, and I still have the dream. I'm getting out and about on shorter trips and learning the ropes.

But retirement is looming soon, about 15 months, certainly less than 2 years. The idea is frightening, and exciting, too. I've worked all my life, raised my kids, and didn't have the opportunity to travel much more than family vacations. We made the best of those, though.

I'll travel as much as I can while I can, but it won't be full time. I like the roots of home.
Maybe it won't be like I've been dreaming about, but I already know there is a down side to it. I think I'm prepared to face that, and to make the best of what I come across. That's a big part of successfully "living the dream", understanding that it ain't always all it's cracked up to be, but still able to appreciate what you do get.
I love being alone and taking my own time to do whatever I want. Since I was 8 years old (33 years ago). I was out boondocking for 14 days on a few occasions by myself, and the only thing missing was my kitty and maybe a dog. When I retire I will take them with me though. After 14 days I always wanted to stay and never come back. I guess I could do that if I wanted to live poor, but dang.. Each time I go out alone in my buddies 5th wheel I want to stay out there forever.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #28

My similar experience would just be what I've learned about those very high end supercars high school boys all lust after. Turns out that many of them are such a pain in the butt to actually use, many owners just keep them stored. Fear of them being damaged out in the world is a real issue when collector value was a main reason for buying one. Maintenance costs can be astoundingly high. Google the cost of a regular required maintenance of a Veyron for example, never mind the tires!

So I don't have one, never will, and truth be told, don't really want one. Daydreaming about tooling around in a Ferrari or some such once in a while still works just fine.

There are some other things in life I've made my peace with that I'm never going to have or do them. Not RV camping though, we've got that and like it!
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote