RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Wanting is more fun than having

My former employer often told us about a saying his mother used. “Wanting is more fun than having.” He also told me the story of his relatives who saved all there life to be able to buy a camper and just travel when they retired. The day finally came and they were off to fulfill their lifetime dream. Two weeks later they were back home and sold the camper. This was definitely a case of wanting being more fun than having.
Does anyone have any similar experiences. Welcome any comments and thoughts.

solo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo camper View Post
My former employer often told us about a saying his mother used. “Wanting is more fun than having.” He also told me the story of his relatives who saved all there life to be able to buy a camper and just travel when they retired. The day finally came and they were off to fulfill their lifetime dream. Two weeks later they were back home and sold the camper. This was definitely a case of wanting being more fun than having.
No it sounds like more delusional BS. People trying to rationalize they didn't do what was nesacarrey to make their future dreams come true. Some people can't visualize doing anything outside of the rut they live in.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

That saying works for lots of things in a person's life. Most people have had the experience at one time or another where they really looked forward to something and were then disappointed when the event finally arrived. But on the other hand it also works in reverse sometimes. I know there have been things that I was dreading and when the time came, I was very pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the experience. I don't think I am cut out to be a full time RVer but I am looking forward to going to a warmer climate in the winter and also using our coach for summer trips with no definite schedule to keep. Right now we just weekend camp and take a trip or two in the summer and love it.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #4

Wanting is more fun than having? Hmm, no for me, cause if I want something badly I get it. , if it doesn't pan out as I thought and fit right into my life then I ditch it To me it is a true adventure in finding what does work well in one's life. Only thru experimenting can ya find out what suits you best in a way.

But to BUY a big ticket item and only thru dreaming and never walking into that realm ya can get screwed real fast for sure, like saving and saving and buying a giant ticket item like a camper and hate it For me it would be try it out first before buying!

I can tip a toe into any of my wants. I can spend small money into that area and see if it suits me and do I want to spend more and more into that adventure.

Like I thought I really wanted an ATV cause hubby has one he uses for hunting. Thinking, oh I can get one, we can trailer out and ride and have fun etc.....then I started using his more and more and realized I hated the darn thing ATV was not for me, preferred my horses more actually So it was a big want, tried it, decided it really would not be something I did long term and enjoy, and didn't waste the bucks on getting one.

But sometimes the dream of it is way more fun then the actual of it I guess So yea, I guess I can fall into that saying every now and then LOL
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
I think there are a lot of rver"s like that but won't admit it watched to many rv shows and movies on tv
Old 03-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

I think you are right. For some folks there is no place like home. I think you absolutely have to have no commitments to be able to enjoy being away.
solo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
We hear it all time time as a couple in our 30s....travel now before you get old.

I have never understood why people wait to travel, especially in the age of technology when you can work from anywhere with an internet connection. I get it, retirements means you can sell your house and other stuff to afford the lifestyle of full time rving, but if you don't get a super luxury model, the job of maintaining it and setting it up will exhaust you.

My wife and I have bounced back and forth ourselves due to the task. We full timed for about 8 months (class A that has issues), stayed with family for about 6 months, full timed for another 6 months (older tavel trailer), live din Airbnbs for about 8 months and back to the travel trailer lifestyle.

Part of it is having realistic expectations and having enough comforts to outweigh the unavoidable things that aren't so comfortable. It's also knowing yourself and how you prefer to travel.

Personally, I think you have to commit to at least 6 months and stay at multiple types of campgrounds to have a clue what you like. Some people prefer the resorts, while others prefer to boondock. My wife and I tried many things the first time around and if the Class A hadn't broke down, we'd probably never stopped. However, the truck/travel trailer fits our needs and wants better.

This isn't a unique story, however, as we have met/read about many others that last a month, maybe 3 and give it up.

Benjamin Ehinger
Old 03-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
I have never understood why people wait to travel, especially in the age of technology when you can work from anywhere with an internet connection.
Reality check: not everyone can work remotely with nothing more than a decent computer and internet connection. My own example, these gas lines won't check themselves for leaks (yet).
Old 05-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
No one should just jump into a new lifestyle with both feet without dipping a toe in first. There is a lot to learn and it takes time to adapt. The key factor is the type of relationship you have with you partner. Not everyone likes to be that close all the time. Some people don't realize how annoying certain habits can be when you are a few feet away instead of on the other end of the house and they aren't happy with the inability to have a private space.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

For us I would have to disagree that wanting is more fun than having. We "wanted" to retire and have been looking forward to it for years. We've always traveled, not by RV, but by car or plane. We have always LOVED seeing new places, trying new things, going on new adventures. We were always limited by how much vacation time we had from work.

Our original plan was to retire spring of 2018. In late February 2017 we were on vacation down in Mexico and decided as soon as we returned home we would look into retiring a year earlier than planned. We ran the numbers and it looked like we could. Just to make sure we went to our financial advisor and had him run the numbers thinking we might have left something out. Nope. He thought we looked in good shape. So we went out and bought a travel trailer (we had been researching for a long time on which one we wanted), we already had the truck, sold all of our possessions including the house and retired.

And I can happily say that HAVING OUR retired life is MUCH BETTER than just WANTING it!!!! We've been full timing for a year now and it's better than we even imagined!!!
Old 06-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

We were brought up with "learning to be content and grateful for what we had, what we never had we never missed" and for sure the biggie "The Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence".

Alas, that upbringing with the changes in society to boot, didn't dampen my yearning for more excitement and trying new things over the years, not just waiting for retirement. Sadly, I get bored very very easy, not being one to sit and do nothing/relax, so our whole lives we've planned and schemed and made things happen one way or another and lived a life of very little regrets thankfully.

For us the wanting led to the happenings (where there's a big enough will, there's always a way!), which were all rewarding in one way or another, even if some of them were just "oh well, lessons learned"

Too many folks spend too much time just saving, planning and scheming for their future/when they retire. Alas too many never get to live much of that future time and sacrificed way too many fit/healthy years for them. I say, do what you can now, even if somewhat compromised to achieve those dreams earlier, at least you'll have memories of fun days to cherish in the future.

To steal Nike's logo, and tattoo on my daughters right foot in-step "just do it".
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Have a cousin retired military good pension always said he would travel the country in an RV when he retired. Retired still in CA told him to get his motorhome and travel. Wife doesn't want to leave grandkids. He's from this area so I said you can stay In ours in the driveway and go visit everyone. 4 Years hasn't left CA yet
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
No it sounds like more delusional BS. People trying to rationalize they didn't do what was nesacarrey to make their future dreams come true. Some people can't visualize doing anything outside of the rut they live in.
Many of my "past" co-workers were hopelessly stuck in that rut. I retired...what are they doing now...STILL WORKING FOR THE MAN.

More likely "afraid" to retire and as it would mean a new routine would need to be figured out.

Took me about 24 hours to figure out how to change my routine...Go RVing more.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #14

Everybody says we're crazy people.

We have a 26ft C in the driveway and use it at least 2 times a month

About 100 miles north we have a 5Th wheel on a lake that we visit every couple of weeks.

Have a farm about 30 miles away that we take the C to a lot and sometimes just for the night.

A guy told me we need to stay home and watch TV every now and then. We have 3 TV's don't remember the last time one was on???

I'm on the board of 2 non profits and people laugh when we pull into monthly meetings in our C.

They are history come fall!!!

It's Tuesday evening and have been in the C checking out everything for next week.

Life is good and I'm not retired yet!!!

mikell is offline   Reply With Quote