Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and got my first TT in 1967. Now on my forth wife and there was no question as I had a 26' TT when we got married.
As to cost, well, when we went to buy the Magna our broker asked us why we needed it. I almost exploded! But I didn't. It's our money, we can do as we want! Luckily our income will support it even after we totally retire. Right now I'm working a part time, minimum wage job, more to get out of the house than anything.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #30

Great advice from a lot of people... I might get a Stand up TD and at the same time save to ugrade my TV and get a TT that we will stay with for a while...
bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
When to start?

Here is what we are doing...we plan to go full time in 2019. We bought our first and last motorhome in 2014. It was never titled but used by the dealership's family for tailgating so we got a great deal on a "new" MH. We bought the best we could afford but did not reach beyond our means. It is more than we need now but we didn't want to take the financial hit more than once. We will have it paid off before we leave. We bought a toad this week and all the needed preps for towing ( neither of our current cars can be towed) which we will keep in the garage until we leave except to tow it on vacations until the full time date. It too will be paid for before we leave and will still be like new and purchased with today's prices. We don't worry about depreciation due to age because we maintain our cars and drive them for years. Our last alteration will be to add all the solar the MH can carry in the year prior to departure. Our 4 year plan allows us to pay everything off, make all arrangements, prep the home for sale and sell off our excess possessions. We will do a 6 month trial run and then return to sell the house and cars. All of this will go in to the bank to purchase a small condo at the end of our journeys. We plan to work camp and boondock to hold down costs as we expect medical costs to be the biggest expense. Since hubby and I are both in this together, we are enjoying the preparations. We even consider the financial sacrifices now a kind of a fun challenge in order to be totally debt free when we leave. 2019.... Here we come.
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
To add to my previous comment and provide $ insight to our situation, the new 2013 ( purchased in 2014) gas class A 40 ft Newmar Canyon Star was $ 148,000. The used 2013 Honda CRV purchased this week had 5000 miles on it and sold for $25,000. The Blue Ox Avail tow bar + accessory set + base plate for toad + Road Master Invisibrake = $3500 installed. Tire pressure monitoring system for both MH and toad = $479. We have also added an air compressor and external window shade cloths that attach with magnets. I hope this helps someone with their planning.
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #33

Well I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 TM Mini 19RD or a 2014 Coachmen RV clipper ultra-lite 17 FQ TT.

They are pretty close to GVW and the cost is pretty close..

So just the wife and I and maybe the grandchild...

Hard choices maybe some input might help.
bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote