Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
YUKON & NWT Thoughts and ideas

Fairly new at this RVing with only one long (6 wks) trip to the east coast of Canada and it was indeed a pleasure.

We are considering heading north and taking in some of the remote pleasures of the Rarefied atmosphere that is NWT and Yukon, Would like to get some feedback on almost every aspect:
  1. Fuel Costs
  2. Insect protection
  3. roads to avoid
  4. Roads to consider
  5. places to go
  6. places to avoid

Roads are important as it makes no sense to drag a motorhome over miles of loose surface causing gravel rash down below and who knows what else.

We do realise it's way out there and many roads are not well travelled, and support can be a long way off not to mention poor to no cell coverage as well as being internet poor unless you have satellite capability. But that's a part of the appeal.

Who has been there? What do you recommend or suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
CaptronNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Many posts on travel through the Yukon to Alaska , here in the forums ; not any I've seen on the NWT .
My plans are for the Yukon this June , but I don't imagine you'll want to wait till I have internet access to hear about it .

The Milepost | Since 1949, The Bible of North Country Travel

Is one source of travel info through the area . I'll re-post with links to others .
Fuel gets more expensive the further north you go ; just the way it is.

In the mean time this post might make a good read.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/2017-...ip-346333.html
Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to emergency communications, it is not as difficult as you might think. Either get an PLB to use in a "I need to be rescued from imminent or current threat to life or limb right now because I'm unable to self rescue", or consider a Garmin In Reach two way satellite communicator that can even be used to summon a tow truck. I have a Garmin In Reach and it is easy to use, and has worked great.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Getting into very rare places just seems safer for me if I know I can communicate when I'm away from cell service, and a daily message from me keeps friends from worrying.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.
It helps us if you put your rig in the signature, theres a lot of different motorhomes.

In YK and NWT if you don't want gravel rash....don't go. In Yukon about 20% of all roads are gravel and not the best tended gravel either!! You would do well to put new tires on the M/H if they are more than 4 yrs old. Tires are hard to come by and road service is spotty.. and expensive. If towing... lose the solid vanity mud flap, they cause more damage than they save. We travelled From Dawson City (top of the world hiway) to Whitehorse and Watson Lake and to Haines Junction, on our 2016 Alaska trip.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Some sites that should prove useful .

DriveBC
http://511alberta.ca
http://511yukon.ca
The Alaska Highway Guide for RV and Motorhome Travelers
Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

interesting topic .... following.

Have planned a trip to Destruction Bay Yukon .... that's as far as I've gotten.

CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone, I will repost this in the travel section and try to find my signature and update it.
CaptronNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Moved to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/yukon...ml#post4073978
Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Capt Ron (great movie).

Is the NZ for New Zealand ??
Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile The "NZ"

Yes, we are dual citizens after spending 17 years there now back in Calgary.

The MH would be a beast to drive there and with gas typically over $2/L or $7/Gal (u.s. or $9 Imp Gal) if just doesn't make sense. They do have smaller ones, typically diesel and 4cyl and they are a menace on the roads. You will know that if you watch the old "Top Gear" TV program where the UK has the same issues.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptronNZ View Post
Yes, we are dual citizens after spending 17 years there now back in Calgary.

The MH would be a beast to drive there and with gas typically over $2/L or $7/Gal (u.s. or $9 Imp Gal) if just doesn't make sense. They do have smaller ones, typically diesel and 4cyl and they are a menace on the roads. You will know that if you watch the old "Top Gear" TV program where the UK has the same issues.
The very rare Canuk-Kiwi .