Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Camping RV (FCRV)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I would like to find out some demographics among our readers. I understand that there are many fol
You are married with children under the age of 5 49 28.82%
You are married with children under the age of 15 83 48.82%
You are married with no children at home 15 8.82%
You are a single parent camping with children 2 1.18%
You are grandparents and occasionally camp with your grandchildren 21 12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #15

We are grandparents who love to take our grandchildren camping. We live next door to our daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren. The parents like to be included in our camping trips as much as our grandson, age 5. We figured they would be happy to see the old folks take off, but when they get the chance they join us.

We find camping/RVing a great way to give the grandchildren one-on-one attention and teach them to love the beautiful country we live in. Nancy

2001 F250 Lariat powerstroke diesel 4 X 4 crew cab
2000 Komfort 26SK 5th wheel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2001, 02:06 AM   #16

Well we are one of those "Familys that Camp". Both my wife and I grew up going on trips by "Campin". And our kids are doing the same. As of now ours are 14, 13 & 6. THe two oldest daughters birthdays are Jan. 30. (Yes both the same day a year apart)

As of now they all enjoy the trips. AS some others have stated it gives you time to do somethings as a "Family".

Shoot some of my fondest memories are of traveling in our "Slide in" with my family as a kid. Hopefully mine will be able to say the same someday........

Don Fauntleroy (W5IT) 32ft. Kountry Star Fiver Towed by a 99 F-350 PSD w/ a Western Hauler bed.
Our rig
Old 11-25-2001, 05:08 AM   #17

My wife and I have been camping since we can remember. After we got married we started in a small tent. We camped a few times when our 10 year old was only 6 months old, but that tent and her up here in the rain, sucked, so now the tent is just used for my motorcycle trips. The next year we got a used 18 ft.TT. We had this for 5 years then bought a new slide in. We are now a family of 4 with the youngest being 7 now, both girls. We only use the camper for cooking, sleeping,using the bathroom, and getting out of the weather. Our philosophy is you stay outside when in the Outdoors, so a large RV to us is useless and prevents us getting out in the boonies.

2001 F-150 XLT SC 7700 4X4, 5.4, 4R100, 3.73
Airlift Sportride Airsprings
RS 9000's
Happijak tiedowns
98 Fleetwood Angler 8B

http://www.f150world.com/BaddAndy/
Old 11-30-2001, 02:21 PM   #18

I grew up tent & RV camping. We would take the whole summer and just go. It made for great childhood memories with my dad.

My husband and I started tent camping together as soon as we were married, had to get a larger tent with two kids. Every year we take a month off and go to a new state to explore. Our last tent trip was in a extended length Ford van, pulling a 20' long U-Haul stacked to the roof, my mother and her tent, our two kids and our huge house size tent. We were gone for 28 days. We originally started out for the Grand Canyon. Eventually we ended up in CA as a suprise to take the kids to Legoland. We had the best time.

We got our first RV in October. It was a dream come true. Since we got it we have been gone every week for extended weekends. Our kids love it and are never ready to get back home. We decided we better stay home this weekend to take care of our house that doesn't have wheels. I can't ever imagine not being able to take off, pack up the kids and go.

1993 Rockwood Embassy 33' Diesel Pusher, 230 Cummins, Allison 6 speed
Old 01-10-2002, 06:30 AM   #19

My wife and I are in our 30's and our children are 4, 8 and another Due NEXT MONTH We love to travel with our kids and they love to go. We started out 4 years ago with a used travel trailer and liked it so much we went out and bought a new one the next year. We then decided that a small motorhome was what we really needed. With the motorhome we can travel anywhere we want and not be stuck in a tow vehicle for hours or days. The baby will arrive next month and we will be heading to Florida in April!

As a kid I was never able to do very much traveling so it gives me great joy to be able to take my kids around this great country of ours! Most of the places that we are seeing are a first for the kids and ME!

I look forward to meeting on the road someday

Brian, Yola, Cody, Collin and ??? Tacy
New Hampshire
1998 Coachmen Santara 29' Class C

[This message was edited by B Tacy on January 10, 2002 at 03:23 PM.]
B Tacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:32 PM   #20
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I are in our later 40 s/ early 50 s, our kids are 23, and 22, we have a 5 yr old grand daughter who up untill this fall was our full time camping buddy, now that she is in school we dont go out for as long as we used to. when we bought our camper we desided that it would not sit around like most you see. We desided that we had to use it at least 1 weekend a month with the exception of Dec and Jan. and our grand daughter goes all thwe time unless we go to Laughlin ,Nv / Needles, ca (camping) . and we also take our 3 other kids (shelties when its possible.

Jim and Cheri
Mesa, AZ
99 Coleman Bayside
Old 02-05-2002, 07:13 AM   #21

My wife and I have 8 children (5 boys and 3 girls) ages 13-0. We love to travel and have found that our trailer is the only way to go for us. We would always need 2 (or more) hotel rooms and we would alway need to worry that the children were making too much noise in the hotel. We started out in tents and then a popup and then an older MH but now we have a 2002 Sandpiper 31BH. There is a bed for everyone and it tows great with our Chevy 15passenger van.
bkortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:33 AM   #22

New member here & first post.

We have 3 kids; Lads 13 & 12, plus the Princess, age 6. We've been RVing since the lads were infants, then the grandparents caught the bug. We do a good deal of camping with the whole family and it's really a wonderful way to travel.

Just replaced the '86 Executive DP with a Dutch Star, due in early April. Plan some extensive summer tours, plus race weekends with the lads (motorcycle road racing at Sears Point & Laguna Seca).

Great site and nice to see other young couples with a shared passion.

Happy Trails.
K. Schaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 06:58 AM   #23

The best memories I had as a child where camping as a family so I started doing it with the wife when we married. Had to get a MH when we had the first girl so the wife would still go. When it came time to end our marriage the only thing my girls were worried about was if we would have to sell the MH. Camping is a great way to get and keep a close relationship with your kids. I got rid of the MH as it was getting old and was under powered for what I tow so I picked a turbo diesel and a slide-in. Kids love it even more.

99 Ford F-250 PSD SWD SC
2001 Real-Lite 10.8
77 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser
2001 Car Trailer 16'
FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 AM   #24

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are grandparents and occasionally camp with your grandchildren
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is as close as I can find on the poll. We camp often with our grands..sometimes with them in the same campground with their parents. and more often than not, just us and them. I have discovered, that if just hubby and I roll in, childless people will pick a site right next to us, even if the campground is practically empty..but just let us roll out a kids bike or some "little" campfire chairs, and the spots next to us stay empty til the end lol!
Although you are apt to hear lots of giggling coming form our site with the kids, their parents have brought them up well..they respect others camping, and know their boundaries. We love having them with us, and we often end up being a gathering place for other peoples kids (although I do wish some of the parents/grandparents who send their kids over, would take a minute to come and introduce themselves).
I do wish the schools would consider grandparenting time as important time, and have some "travel days for education" included in the school year..as they get older, we aren't able to take them with as as often, if we are going too far away!

'00 Holiday Rambler Alumalite FKS '00 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton, ext cab
Old 03-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #25

Neither my husband or myself grew up camping. Please no laughing but last yr I seen a commerial on tv for a camper and it showed a family camping, I told my husband that night, let's start camping, He Assumed I meant buy a tent, lol. I wanted a TT, so we compromised and bought a new pop up. HOwever, we realized how much we Totally LOVE camping, so just traded the pop up for a hyrid a few wks ago. I felt since it's something we Will be doing for a long time I wanted a bit bigger camper without losing the bunk ends/tent/outdoor feeling. We do prefer private camgrounds as I like all the hook ups

Linda
DH Pete
DS 3
DS 20
DS 22
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
Linda Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:07 PM   #26

Hi! I'm pretty new to this forum and have been lurking here for about a week but this is my first post. I'm Denice (29), married to Doug (32) and we have two great kids - both boys, ages 5 and 9. My husband and I both grew up camping in the best state to camp in -- Montana. We are avid outdoor enthusiasts and have gone camping our entire married life even with babies only a few months old (figuring out how to pack that not so portable baby swing was always an adventure) A few weeks ago we purchased a very well cared for 1987 41' Bounder and in one more month we will embark on a 2 year family sabatical. We will spend that time living and traveling fulltime in our "Roo". Right now we own a home interior/gifts store in central Montana but drought and Sept. 11 have the economy here in terrible shape and so we are closing our doors this week. While we are sad to close our dream store it is more than true what they say about "the store owns you, not the other way around" so we are really looking forward to being able to relax and actually have time to (gasp) read a book or something! Before the store we had a licensed daycare - 14 kids, open 24 hrs. a day, 6 days a week AND I worked nights at a truckstop waiting tables 40 hours per week AND my dh had his own woodworking biz on the side so we really feel like it is time to come up for air.

We will be homeschooling and are interested to hear if anyone else fulltimes with kids or homeschools or both.
Happy Trails.
DeniceMT
p.s. Linda, I don't imagine anyone will laugh at you. It takes a lot of guts to commit to something you've never done before. I'm glad you "found" camping.

If you can't go camping in heaven then I'm not going.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #27

Denice, That's a 31' bounder in the driveway, not a 41'.. :-)

Doug
Doug M from Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:54 AM   #28

To point out my typo's in such sweet, subtle ways.

Denice

If you can't go camping in heaven then I'm not going.