Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Camping RV (FCRV)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I would like to find out some demographics among our readers. I understand that there are many fol
You are married with children under the age of 5 49 28.82%
You are married with children under the age of 15 83 48.82%
You are married with no children at home 15 8.82%
You are a single parent camping with children 2 1.18%
You are grandparents and occasionally camp with your grandchildren 21 12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2002, 04:45 PM   #29

We're taking our first extended trip this summer. We will be heading to Wyoming near the end of June & returing to Michigan near the end of July.
We have been camping some for about 5 yrs. Mostly around the state.
I've just retired so time is not so much of a item. I get paid,work or not.
We have 5 kids at home at this time and all they talk about is going camping.
WE will be homeschooling some of them. And the idea of fulltiming comes up often. We need to get the oldest ones through school first. That will be in about 2 yrs. Then we will probably take off & see our great country.
Getting into homeschooling for a while & then starting to live on the road seems like a good way to work into gradually.
Jim, Kathy & kids
Jim Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #30

I was wandering around this forum and am interested in knowing if you two have hit the road, and how it is going. I have 3 kids myself, and have often wondered if we could do such a trip. I think that teaching the kids about what real life is all about, as well as seeing this great country of ours would be a great experience.

<A HREF="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/Green_Bay.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

https://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/language/www/US/WI/Green_Bay.gif[/img]
luv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
This will be our 4th year of camping and our 3rd as TT owners. Our children are 8, 7, and 3. The youngest was just 3 months old on her first camping trip. It's all she has ever known. The boys remember the days BC (before camping) and much prefer to camp.
It's where they have learned to fish, but not bait their own hooks. It's where the oldest learned to ride his bike. It's where we go to be a family.

2002 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, 4x4, Long Bed, 6.0, 4.10 rear, Prodigy, Reese Dual Cam and McKesh Mirrors
2001 Sunline Solaris 2980
Old 06-08-2003, 08:26 AM   #32

We are new to the forum. We are Ed and Lisa Hawkins and we are both in our 40s. We have two children, Mackenzie (3 years) and Tucker (7 months). We are hoping to add one more God willing. We also have 12 Huskies. We just bought a 2003 Lance 1030 which we haul on a 2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab. We bought a camper because we dog sled in the winter and wanted something that we could use in the cold and that would be easy to get in and out of the places that we go. We've done some weekend trips and one overnighter to Canada with the kids. We are planning a trip to the Disney World Camp Grounds in October. Once the kids are older we'll buy a small Trailer to tow for them to sleep in on long trips. I would love to get a motorhome but it's just not practical with our dogs.

Ed and Lisa
2003 F350 XLT DRW V10
2003 Lance 1030 Got All the Bells We Skipped the Whistles
Firestone 5000 Airbags Rancho Shocks

2008 Chateau Sport
RVingFamilyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 01:46 PM   #33

We are also another camping family who loves all aspects of the great outdoors except sleeping in it! We have grown up camping and introduced it to our kids early on and they just love it. As everyone says it is a time to really focus on family in a world where we are all so busy working and running ourselfs ragged. Wish we could do a family campout in Calif this summer...Our daughter is not camping with us anymore as she is 25 but our 14yr old son is...
don/joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #34

Hi THere,
We have been fifth wheeling it since 2000. The first 2 years
my husband and I did not see too many like us with fifth wheels and such young kids. They are age 2,4,6 year old girls. We have only travelled the Ontario area so far. We go out every weekend. Last summer we parked it most of the season near Collingwood at our brother-in-laws cottage. This year we are in the planning stage of visiting West Virginia. We will be meeting a family we met in Niagra Falls, Canada. So each year we see more and more people with little ones.
See You Camping!!
thetravellingontarians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:00 AM   #35

We are a family of six 3 boys (13, 6, 2) and one princess (4). However, we often have one or two neices or nephews with us (people say we are crazy we just like to let the kids have a good time) Anyway, I used to go tent camping with my family when I was a kid, I loved it!!! (except for the wet tent). My DH never went camping as a kid the closest he comes to would be in the military. I am turning 32 and my husband is 36 and we just bought our "new to us" 2002 class-C Coachmen Santara. While he is very excited, by husband doesn't quite understand my enthusiam. I know my kids are going to have great when they grow up camping (even without the wet tent). We are embarking on our first trip in August two weeks down to Disney What a first trip!!!!!!! I am interested in how that couple that owned the store is doing, how is the homeschooling working out????????

Four Wild Children 13, 6, 4, 2
anditoo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:47 AM   #36

I consider the kids a part of the family and would not be happy unless they were around. We started camping in the 70's in a Class C Eldorado. My oldest two boys(now in their 30's) loved it. Sold it before the third got to enjoy it much. Now my new wife and I have three adopted special needs kids (6-8) and two smaller fosters. We could not travel without an RV to provide the power and space for the special equipment they need. We're on our third motorhome and the slide provides enough extra space for the oldest to move around on the floor as well as space for playpens at night for the smaller ones. A lot of our travel is to family so we take our own "apartment" to allow for the kids needs. We also go to Disney World a couple times a year, and have been to the Grand Ole Opry with them. A planned trip to Dollywood was scrapped this spring due to 5 sick kids. But we'll make it sooner or later. We'll be at a trach conference in June in St Louis. We have a lot of flexibility with our motorhome and my retirement.

Ken
'96 Itasca Suncruiser
5x8 Cargo Trailer
Wife and 5 Special Angels
Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #37

We are a small family, just me and Carlin. As fulltimers, Carlin has been in the RV since before he was born, and he camped at his first Medieval Faire when he was 3 months. I run my booth at local faires, 20 or so a year.

There are a few more repairs needed to the rig, never ending, and then we can follow the southwestern RenFaire circuit during the winter.

We homeschool and I plan on continuing for as long as he is willing. This season's lesson is pottytraining.

He just turned 2 this week, wow 2, and I'm thinking of remodeling the rig a bit more. I need some better storage and a real desk. Carlin needs a bigger toybox, he has outgrown the milk crate.

To really do the southern circuit I need a booth helper and for that I need another seatbelt. Does anyone know where I can get a boltdown swivel recliner cheap?

Fulltiming and loving it!
Bryanna and Carlin
1984 30' Winnebago Chieftain
BryannasTreasureBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #38

WE have started the camping world two years ago now. Our son is almost five as of May. He LOVES camping! I read an old post but was wondering if anyone takes their kids to NASCAR races..I have been so I KNOW how crazy it can be. But I also saw a lot of kids too. Is there any particular areas anyone would suggest to go..he loves the cars and would love to take him to our next race!!
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #39

Hey there,

I just joined the group - I do alot of camping with my kids!! We are members of our local YMCA Adventure Guide program ( formerly the Y-Indian Guides ). We go camping about once a month and have other fun activities also.

http://www.chandler-princesses.com

Thanks
John

John, Juli
Big Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Boy have things changed since I first created this poll/thread.

On June 12, 2001, we were in our second season camping in a 2000 Trail Lite TT. In December of that same year, we bought a 2000 class A MH. In May 2004, we decided that had to sell our MH. We tent camped twice that summer. The MH sold in November 2004. In March 2005, we acquired a PUP.

As of June 8, 2005 (4 years later), our kids are now 4 & 6. They love camping so much that how we camp or what we sleep in doesn't matter. They just love family camping, making friends, and going places.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #41

We have four children, all grown, and three grandchildren. Our two daughters and their husbands have campers too and go with us most of the time. My wife's twin sister and her husband have a camper and have started joining us. They bring their four grandchildren. We always have a load of kids ages 2-11. That's part of the fun of camping!!!

Sassy the Bischon Frise
Captain Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #42

Wow things do change. I haven't been to this forum in years but came back because we just traded in our truck camper for a fifth wheel. I posted above but will update. We are Ed (43) and Lisa (46). We have 4 children now Mackenzie (6), Tucker (3) and McGrath and Teagan (2). We never used our truck camper much except for day trips. I was either pregnant or we had a newborn and space was an issue. We already have 2 trips planned in September with our new 5th wheel, an out of state cheerleading competition in March 2007 that we'll make into a long weekend and Disney in November 2007. Now that the kids are getting older and we are done because we can't fit anymore in the tow vehicle we are looking forward to traveling. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Lisa

2008 Chateau Sport
RVingFamilyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote