RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

2 RVs for 2 people a good plan?

Hello all, new to the forum and had a question. My sister and i are gathering a plan to get out of Ohio to coincide with our parents retirement, and we were thinking about becoming full time rvers. My sister is 27 and i am 22, and we also have a 7 year old that my sister has custody of. At first we were looking at new 5th wheel campers, trying to find something that would have separate spaces for each of us. We did find one, but the more and more we thought about it and our budget we started to think that maybe it would be a better idea to have an RV for each of us.

That way we could each have our own space and autonomy, and we could also cut back on cost by going with smaller, cheaper, older campers and trucks. The only real downside we could think of would be that of course we would be paying for 2 spots when we are at sites, and higher costs for the extra gas and insurance and whatnot. But overall we do like the plan, but i wanted to see what actual full timers thought about it.

We are looking at something like a 30'-40' trailer for my sister and the 7 year old so that they can have there space, while i might go the path of something smaller and maybe even a class b (I particularly like the Ford Airstream B190 campers). Is there any major flaws in this approach? Would we be way in over our heads going with 2 smaller older campers compared to one big new one?

DatsunPriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

It's a fact that as RVs get older they require more maintenance. Now you're planning to multiply it by 2. You need to do a lot of looking.

Happy Trails!!!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"I wanna go to X."
"Well, I don't really want to go to X."
"Ok, we'll get back together at Y in a few days."

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If you're ALREADY thinking that you'd each like your own space, and you're not yet even sharing a space, then by all means get two RVs.
From where I'm sitting it seems like your choice might be get a second RV or loose a sister/friend. That makes it an easy choice in my book.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #5

Wow thanks for the quick response guys, and thanks for the feedback

And to clarify my sister and i are currently living together in a house we rent, and that is part of the reason why we know we want our own spaces. I am very mechanically inclined and i should be able to do most maintenance myself, i work in a bodyshop currently and my dad has been a mechanic for 40+ years so if i get something like a class b it shouldn't be too different from what i already have experience with.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunPriest View Post
I am very mechanically inclined and i should be able to do most maintenance myself, i work in a bodyshop currently and my dad has been a mechanic for 40+ years so if i get something like a class b it shouldn't be too different from what i already have experience with.
Personally, the two RV's would be the route I'd take and maybe look at a class C (give you a bit more space). With a class C, you'll have either a chevy, dodge, Ford or M-B pulling it. All engines/mechanicals y'all are probably familiar and have had experience with. And with good 'ol dad's 40 years experience, y'all are in the clover! With a class C, you'll also need a towed - a run about car for town. Remember though, whichever way you go (MoHo or trailer), you'll be towing.

Yes, with two, you'll have increased expenses but how much is your sanity and individual space worth? Not all RV parks are the so-called "resort$$" with higer rates. What we've found is that while spending a week here and there is OK, we prefer to spend a month at a location giving us the opportunity to explore the area and also, pay less by the month (not to mention less fuel costs).

In a house, you have more room to create your "own" space and be able to entertain friends, etc... In an RV, that option is severely limited, especially with a 7 year old! Also, most RV do not have two bedrooms so, one of y'all are sleeping on the couch with very little privacy!

I guess, from my perspective, if you stack the odds against you at the beginning, you'll end up not having a good experience. You and your sister will be traveling together so will still be able to provide support for each other.... and as a bonus... will be able to meet up in a week somewhere else if one of you needs time alone!

And if after several years you decide you want to go back to a sticks & brick house, you both have plenty of time ahead to do so and experience many other adventures.

Whatever you two (ah, three), decide, Good Luck & Happy Trails!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We're not fulltimers yet so won't comment.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

Question:

If you are considering something as small as a Class B why wouldn't you consider a truck camper? for you and a travel trailer for the sister and child? That would give you the ability to possibly use the same site and have less vehicles to maintain? Of course that means that your truck/ living quarters would likely also be the tour bus when you are sightseeing.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

2 RVs........
Each gets their own space/privacy etc
But it does double the expenses which are not cheaper then renting a house per se.

And there is the question of income.........retirement/investments etc

Full Timing to us is traveling place to place frequently
NOT parking and living in an RV

Best of luck.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #10

….also think of medical insurance.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #11

Wow i have to say this is probably the most friendly and responsive forum ive joined in a while, thanks for all the good advice guys

Jaxon, thanks for the post i appreciated the input

ThomB, i honestly hadn't considered a truck camper but now that you've put the idea in my head its actually not sounding too bad. So long as i could find one with a shower and bathroom for not too much money, that actually might be a perfect idea. The other option that made me think about would be to buy a class B and tow a smaller travel trailer behind it for my sister and the kid, which might also be a decent idea. Since it would eliminate the need to buy a truck, and my sister could keep her accord as a runabout.

Any idea on what sites would think about this? As far as having 2 campers as part of one rig? Would they let us be in one space or would they make us still use and pay for 2? And also how would water and electricity work if we were both in one space? Are there splitters available for that purpose?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

At your ages I wonder what you expect to get out of RVing other than "getting out of Ohio". It is not a cheap lifestyle. If you want to go somewhere else to work do a bit of research and then try an apartment there.

If you are traveling figure out how your sister will handle school for the 7 year old. While you are at it check the custody agreement as some have travel restrictions.

Once you get past those obstacles a trailer behind a truck with a camper in it might work but you will need a heavy truck to handle both. She may also want to drive a car separately when you are moving camp. She will probably need her own wheels, something else to keep in mind.

I don't want to come across as too negative but those are some real pitfalls I see.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #13

You normally can't park 2 RVs on one site for the price of one. You'll be renting two sites.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

separate rvs is a smart choice for sure

the gals will want their lives and you will want yours

not a thing wrong with that and if you can help them when needed etc....and they can help you when needed, you guys are in a great spot to move forward and go for it

2 separate rvs is the way I would roll and best of luck to everyone!!

Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs