Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: My wife and I are going to become full-timeers and I need to know what 5th wheel to buy
10 20 100.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
clf

clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
clf

clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello clf,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures as you become fulltimers. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

When considering 5th wheels suitable for your full timing needs, you may want to look at some of the higher end units made by companies such as Travel Supreme, Holiday Rambler, Newmar, or Nu-Wa to name just a few. There are many others just as worthy, construction quality and durability of materials should be one consideration along with floor plan and overall size.

If my hunch is correct, you may have selected a "Poll" when you intended a "Discussion" format when starting this post. There's four choices under the drop down box that appears when clicking "New"; the "Discussion" is at the top.

It'll still be fine the way it is, folks can respond to it just the same.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 AM   #4

Good morning, whats more important than what we think you should have is what brand works for you. Decideing how you want to fulltime is going to influence what you buy. You can open up a firestorm over which brand is better. Kinda like blonde or brunette, everyone has they're preference. We looked and compared and chose a Titanium by Glendale. Better gas mileage, easier towing, shorter tow length. Besides they have an awsome group online. www.auto.groups.yahoo.com/group/glendale_titanium
Barney & Cheryl Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Look, look and than look somemore. This is a decision YOU need to make. As someone else has said, most everyone will tell you the one they have is the best.
We looked at a bunch and bought a NUWA HitchHiker because we liked the floor plan and it fit our needs. They have a good reputation and they only build fifth wheels. They developed the slide out technology most now use. So far I am pleased with the trailer, some minor problems, but quickly attended to.
Are they any better than others? I don't know since I only have this one to compare to.
If I was buying again I would consider NUWA first, but look at what else is on the market just to be sure there is nothing elso we liked better.
Just my .02 worth.
SS
skeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #6

You may want to take a good hard look at mobile suites by double tree. Wow what a beautiful unit. I'm waiting for the 2006 to buy.
Clem
clemaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #7

Instead of a bunch of biased opinions, It would be best to go to the very best UNBIASED information-- The RV Consumer Group. This is a nonprofit membership that is not aligned or affiliated with the RV industry.
Their website is -- www.rv.org
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every owner will tell you their coach is the best and everyone else buys junk. In other words, lots of opinons. But still read and ask questions. You will find some that are really unhappy with their coach.

Vist shows and dealers. Take a long a flash light and look in all of the little nooks and cranies for the real deep dark secrets. Pull drawers out and look in the back od things. A poorly built coach will have wires loosley thown about and not bundled. A better built coach will generally ahve the wires and plumbing bundled neatly and sceured.

Look at the quslity of the fabrics, the fit and finish of the cabinets. If things are not secure and straight, pretty good indicationof a poorly built coach.

Have fun looking.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #9

It also depends A LOT on what kind of weather you will be in. After fulltiming since 1998, & doing it in some very cold weather, we decided on another Travel Supreme. We've seen a lot of rigs go looking for somewhere to go to thaw out, and others haul propane home like they where giving it away, while we have had no problems to nearly -20*. We could have spent a lot less, & we could have spent a lot more, but we puchased what WE felt was the alround best unit to call a home. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:17 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveling Teacher Send a message via Skype™ to Traveling Teacher
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skeetshooter:
Look, look and than look somemore. This is a decision YOU need to make. As someone else has said, most everyone will tell you the one they have is the best.
We looked at a bunch and bought a NUWA HitchHiker because we liked the floor plan and it fit our needs. They have a good reputation and they only build fifth wheels. They developed the slide out technology most now use. So far I am pleased with the trailer, some minor problems, but quickly attended to.
Are they any better than others? I don't know since I only have this one to compare to.
If I was buying again I would consider NUWA first, but look at what else is on the market just to be sure there is nothing elso we liked better.
Just my .02 worth.
SS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SkeetShooter...don't be sellin' my 5th wheel!! (LOL)
~~ Traveling Teacher
Traveling Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #11

Hi clf,
I just joined this forum to learn more about full time RVing and especially with a 5er. I presently own a travel trailer but will be getting a 5er in a year or two. I have been poking around the internet for for some time now and the general popular vote for full time 5th wheels comes down to Nuwa (Hitchhiker),Travel Supreme, Doubletree Suites, Teton Homes and Excel by Petersen Industries. I do see some nods for Titanium and a few others. I plan on visiting a few RV shows this fall, trying to narrow down the company I would like to do business with and then visiting the manufacturing plant before purchasing. I figure the more homework I do prior to purchasing will help minimize that after thought of "I wish I had......"
Fulltiming sounds like a lot of fun but poke around the internet reading websites from people who do it. There are trade offs but mostly good advice.

take care - Murph
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 AM   #12

My wife and I are planning to fulltime down the road several years. But we have done some research ahead of time and decided we like Excel by Peterson Industries. You might want to take a look. Have a good time deciding. When we walked into an Excel we both knew it felt like home.

Brian
Phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #13

We have recently started looking for the replacement for our '98 Holiday Rambler. Having looked at most of the equivelant models, it will most likely be a Travel Supreme. We will continue looking though as we want to see some other floor plans and options.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote