Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Because I ended up doing more living and less camping than I thought I would. I travel for work, and a nice larger living space with a smaller more economical daily driver type car would have worked too, and if the RV breaks down I'd still have a car to drive. With the pickup and travel trailer I depend on my pickup to be a daily driver and the tow vehicle, so if it goes down I have to rent a car.

I've not had a problem with my arrangement though except for fuel costs for the daily driving part of the nice diesel pickup, thus why I'm not planning on changing a thing about it anytime soon.
Another reason I go Fiver is...if you have a MH and something goes south with the engine/drive train/something mechanical having to do with the "driving" on the MH AND if you you have to Leave it at the shop for a day, days, or weeks waiting on parts etc...YOU HAVE LOST YOUR HOME!

If you have something go south with the living/facilities/home amenities of you MH and you have to leave it somewhere for service/parts/etc...YOU HAVE LOST YOUR HOME!

So, with a MH...should you have ANY trouble whatsoever (drivability OR living/camping amenities) that requires leaving you MH at a service facility for an unknown amount of time...YOU HAVE LOST YOUR HOME!

Now...to be fair in my reporting... If you have a Fiver and have something go south with the living/facilities/home amenities of your Fifth Wheel and you have to leave it somewhere for service/parts/etc...YOU HAVE LOST YOUR HOME!

However...if I have something go mechanically wrong with my One Ton Diesel and have to leave it at the shop for a day, days, or weeks waiting on parts etc...I STILL HAVE MY HOME!

Finally, there are many many more places in which we travel that will be able to service a One Ton Diesel than will be able to service a MH.

These are just my opinions though and I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just explaining my reasoning behind the decision I made to go with a Pickup and a Fifth Wheel.

It's your choice...THE ONE THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Most of those who got a Class A did so because of the wife. She could use the toilet in the Class A when driving, didn't have to put out the slide at the gas station to go to the toilet, could make a sandwich while driving. That's about it.
Certainly not true. Those may be weekenders traveling but with the majority of full-timers (in our circle, anyway), both persons drive the RV, make the sandwich and use the bathroom. It's not a he/she thing. Both know how and do it.... along with the hookups. Who knows when one would break a bone or get ill or just need a break from driving?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Certainly not true. Those may be weekenders traveling but with the majority of full-timers (in our circle, anyway), both persons drive the RV, make the sandwich and use the bathroom. It's not a he/she thing. Both know how and do it.... along with the hookups. Who knows when one would break a bone or get ill or just need a break from driving?
No argument here for sure.

I'm still trying to get my wife to learn how to drive our Rig...no success yet! Trying to tell her that things could change any "second"!

Any suggestions??????????????

Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
So, with a MH...should you have ANY trouble whatsoever (drivability OR living/camping amenities) that requires leaving you MH at a service facility for an unknown amount of time...YOU HAVE LOST YOUR HOME!
Oh my! In 16 years we never spent more than one night at a service facility for maintenance and never had any big issue. We'd call a facility in the direction we were traveling, get there and they'd be ready for us and we'd be on our way. If the servicing was finished late afternoon we just stayed at their facility and some even supplied electric. Some of these horror stories that people post happen very seldom and there's usually a good reason why they happen - lack of regular maintenance, poor quality RV or dealer issues. We bought new from one dealer and never returned. Those without problems don't post about it.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
No argument here for sure.

I'm still trying to get my wife to learn how to drive our Rig...no success yet! Trying to tell her that things could change any "second"!

Any suggestions??????????????
There's no reason why women can't drive a big RV unless the gentleman is too macho to let her. The majority of school bus drivers are women. Give her a RV Driving School gift certificate and/or one for both of you. After completing it request that she drive at least once a week to keep refreshed. Anyone can turn a key and go straight down the road. It takes continued practiced to do more. Also, keep your lips sealed while she's driving!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #20

People use both 5er and Class A and both work. If you live in fear of one vehicle or the other breaking down it might be best to just stay home and order pizza. You'll figure out a solution when you need to.

There is a great deal of information available on the pros and cons of both. It really boils down to your wants and needs. You've already expressed concern over driving a large truck on a daily basis. Is that something you really don't want to do or can you get used to the idea? Is it the only factor that is pushing you toward a diesel? Pun intended.

Make a list of what features are important to you and base your decision on the option that forces you to accept the fewest compromises.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You have a ORV 19B which could have been towed by a 1/2 ton or good SUV! You didn't need a 2500 diesel.
It's one thing to tell people what they need to do a job from an informed standpoint. It's another thing to tell them what they don't need. I don't need anyone telling me what I don't need when it comes to safe and low stress towing my trailer around the mountain West of the US, thank you very much for your unsolicited opinion on how I spent my money without knowing why.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #22

I have a class A and a Wrangler.
And I refuse to justify them. [emoji6]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have a class A and a Wrangler.
And I refuse to justify them. [emoji6]
This would probably be the way I would go if I had to do it all over again. It looks like fun and still very useful for my work and play.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #24

My Dad started with a class C and then with a gas class A and then finally a Diesel Pusher. We have a 39’ 5th wheel on order and plan to plan to FT in it in 2 years. The biggest deciding factor for us that we are both tall and feel boxed in in Class As.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #25

I can't figure out why we would want a fiver as neither of us like driving the P/U all the time. Fuel economy and comfort are much better with any MH and towed combo short of the DP's towing a big P/U.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I can't figure out why we would want a fiver as neither of us like driving the P/U all the time. Fuel economy and comfort are much better with any MH and towed combo short of the DP's towing a big P/U.
Cost could be one.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Oh my! In 16 years we never spent more than one night at a service facility for maintenance and never had any big issue. We'd call a facility in the direction we were traveling, get there and they'd be ready for us and we'd be on our way. If the servicing was finished late afternoon we just stayed at their facility and some even supplied electric. Some of these horror stories that people post happen very seldom and there's usually a good reason why they happen - lack of regular maintenance, poor quality RV or dealer issues. We bought new from one dealer and never returned. Those without problems don't post about it.
A thousand variables...you were lucky...good for you!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #28

It’s an either/or situation. We have a Class A and tow a car. I like the view sitting up high while driving. DW can walk to the cupboard or fridge for snacks etc. 5ers have more interior height , but your committed to driving a large F350/450 to get groceries or other trips.

Tags
class a