Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #1

A simple question for Full-timers.

Why?..........................

I realize that there will likely be a myriad of reasons for folks such as yourself choosing this lifestyle. As a "newbie" who is going through the pains of learning how to function part-time in an RV (traveling worker who finally grew tired of motel rooms) I was just curious as to learning what your individual reasons were.

Thanks for the insight.
vetplus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

I have always wanted to explore America in an RV. With dogs flying places is a pain. You either board them or pay thru the nose to have them fly. Flying is such a hassle these days that having an RV and our own bed every night made it a no brainer
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the process of selling stuff and the stick house, then off I go.
Why?
Because I want to!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

We are both early 50’s, money saved up, zero debt, kids have own homes and we love the outdoors. In the dead of winter ( we lived in Indiana ) we used to eat outside by our small fire on the patio often staying up until the firewood was all gone. We realized we were both young enough and active enough to try this and felt now was the time to try it and had a backup plan in case of emergency or if we just got tired of it. It is harder work than a house in some ways but feel grateful to be able to travel and be outside.
katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

I was an outside sales rep covering TX, CO, NM and UT and traveling a lot. Wife didn’t like that too much and the economy had an impact on my gross sales. Decided to try a motorhome so I would always be on the road working instead of sitting at home figuring out if the potential sales would justify the expenses on my next trip. It worked.

Was able to build my account base because now I could “Move” to say Salt Lake City and live there for a month, squeezing as much business as possible out of the area. Then, off to Denver, via a week off in Moab. My industry has trade shows in Vegas and North Carolina two times a year each, so we would travel West Coast to East Coast and back two times a year and work the territory on the way.

That was for the last six years. Now I have started my own company and have my own sales reps working for me, so we can settle down and live just about anywhere. Funny thing is, after visiting so many places we don’t know where we want to permanently live. SoCal, North Carolina mountains, Oregon? Can’t decide so we continue our Full Time journey as long as I can run my business remotely.
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #6

WE both were in early 50's......her folks had heart attacks and dies early, mine never got to enjoy their later years due to major medical issues.

We were debt free, had money to comfortably live on so we sold everything and Hit The Road to TRAVEL, see the USA and experience Small Town America.

And it's a good thing we did when we did cause we only got to enjoy that freedom/lifestyle for 7 yrs.
But they were absolutely GREAT!

Loved traveling weekly, visiting different areas and doing it using secondary/back roads.

WHY-------

The real question is "Why NOT"
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
Why?..........................

I realize that there will likely be a myriad of reasons for folks such as yourself choosing this lifestyle. As a "newbie" who is going through the pains of learning how to function part-time in an RV (traveling worker who finally grew tired of motel rooms) I was just curious as to learning what your individual reasons were.

Thanks for the insight.
I grew up looking at the world from the windshield of a Semi, always wondering what was over that hill. When I got old enough I joined the Navy and traveled around the world, going completely around it and across the equator twice before 23 yrs old.
Left the Navy, got married and then had the high stress and money of a very public profession.
During this time my wife and I continued to travel around the world, she was in multiple world capitals before she ever went to our own.
Then I became disabled from an accident and 2 years ago I went into the hospital 6 different times, at least a week each. Each time I woke up after that week wondering how I got there. I am so lucky to even be alive.

My wife is losing her job but gets to keep her insurance, the golden goose egg.
So now we are going to explore this country and enjoy life.
Honestly, I started my "adult" life with a sea-bag in hand, moved to the American way with a big house etc., and now I am looking forward to getting back to basics, going small, and ending with a sea-bag in my hand.
Quality instead of quantity. No one knows how long they are going to be on this planet and I plan on enjoying every moment I have left.
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #8

Why? Two weeks ago I was exploring Biloxi, last. Week I was living beside a beautiful lake in Northern Louisiana, the other day I was hanging out in Hot Springs National Park and right now I am camped at Cobb Ridge Mo getting to ride my quad tomorrow.

I save money on not eating out, I sleep in my bed each night and my dog gets to travel and stay with us. It's like being home every night, especially a home that the view changes regularly.

It works for me.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have always been bitten by the travel bug and loved camping in the past (had everything from tents, pop ups and class A). Pulled the plug early on retirement and look at life as a series of adventures. We relocated to the Caribbean 12 years ago and now after 12 years ready for the next adventure.
So the house is on the market, New Tiffin on order and ready to hit the road for a few years to fully explore the US and the next adventure. Until the house sells we are practicing by going out for 3-4 month trips at time while waiting on a house sale.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #10

Great stories for sure.................

I simply bought mine to get away from motels rooms when I go on work assignments. Currently, I do not have a tow vehicle and not sure that I even want to tow the 5th wheel anyway. To be honest, the thought of towing anything larger than my boat simply terrifies me.
vetplus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #11

It seems, most people, after they retire, are happy remaining in the same geographical area they were in throughout their working life. Others, myself included, wanted to see how the rest of the country lived and along the way, all the dogs to water every twig and rock in the lower 48. They've missed a few, so we've backtracked across several states so they could get current and keep their record intact. There is SO MUCH to see and do which doesn't include sitting in front of a TV all day long.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wife and I have had RV's of all types the last 23 years and did some traveling in the West and a couple cross country trips to Tennessee and various places down South. We both retired in 2010 and moved to Tennessee from California. Stayed 2 years and then came back to California for family reasons. Decided to sell the house and go full time on the road last year while we're still relatively healthy. Both 65. Have been to every state but Michigan, Iowa and Florida in our fifth wheel. Will keep going as long as we feel the itch to stay on the road. Will be taking the grandkids along at various times this summer so we're staying closer to NorCal where they're all located!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
It seems, most people, after they retire, are happy remaining in the same geographical area they were in throughout their working life. Others, myself included, wanted to see how the rest of the country lived and along the way, all the dogs to water every twig and rock in the lower 48. They've missed a few, so we've backtracked across several states so they could get current and keep their record intact. There is SO MUCH to see and do which doesn't include sitting in front of a TV all day long.
There are way more reasons not to full time than there are to go full time. Some folks have the opportunity and desire. The rest of us have reasons why the life style does not appeal. Often many good reasons.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:47 AM   #14

ROAD TRIP!! The biggest and baddest road trip
One you design as you want. Carry your home on your back at all times. Freedom to do as you please! No lines at the airport or any other type of travel nonsense. Back roads and unexpected fun surprises. Oh gosh, a zillion reasons we do this We are not full time yet but when we do hit that time (sooner than later now!) we will be doing what our heart desires!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote