Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #1

Affordable Care Act Choices

We recently sold our house and switched to fulltiming since we're on the road all the time anyway. But I am panicking now and thinking we forgot one major issue! When I search online for a plan to use next year I am asked for my state of residence. We chose Texas as residence when we went with Escapees Mail Service. We "doctor" in AZ and NE where we spend 3 months each/year and go to doctors where ever we are for flu, colds, etc. We chose a Walmart plan for prescriptions because they're pretty much everywhere (except at Lake Tahoe where we volunteer). We will talk to our current providers but I looked here to calm myself down. Will I have to find new doctors in Livingston, Texas?? I'm sure they're good - but I like the ones I have had for years. Has anyone else checked this out??
bjo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjo24 View Post
We recently sold our house and switched to fulltiming since we're on the road all the time anyway. But I am panicking now and thinking we forgot one major issue! When I search online for a plan to use next year I am asked for my state of residence. We chose Texas as residence when we went with Escapees Mail Service. We "doctor" in AZ and NE where we spend 3 months each/year and go to doctors where ever we are for flu, colds, etc. We chose a Walmart plan for prescriptions because they're pretty much everywhere (except at Lake Tahoe where we volunteer). We will talk to our current providers but I looked here to calm myself down. Will I have to find new doctors in Livingston, Texas?? I'm sure they're good - but I like the ones I have had for years. Has anyone else checked this out??
This question is actually related to any coverage rather than the Affordable Care Act. In your case, if you are Medicare eligible, it is likely that overall cost will be lower with a Medi-Gap policy rather than a Medicare Advantage policy. Whether or not you have Medicare, you need to look at whether you have to consider In Network Charges vs. Out Of Network Charges.

Or, to put it another way, you can go to any doctor you like ... but the cost may be different.

Call your provider and discuss your options.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

Oh, I do remember looking at Network/Out of Network when we chose the policy to supplement Medicare before. Maybe it won't be so bad afterall. I feel "calmed" now but won't be secure until we call them. Husband is still asleep so I'm waiting for him.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Oh, I do remember looking at Network/Out of Network when we chose the policy to supplement Medicare before. Maybe it won't be so bad afterall. I feel "calmed" now but won't be secure until we call them. Husband is still asleep so I'm waiting for him.
As long as you are "contemplating" stuff, think about Jury Duty ... it's not a showstopper but something that may/may not come up.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

That one did come up while we were in WA. I had already missed since we hadn't gotten mail for a couple of weeks. I called the court (or whoever, it's been a while) and they were very nice and said we'd be taken off the list. They knew about Escapees. I'm sure there will be plenty of things to think about. We will be in Livingston in November so may get some more advice. We'll need to reregister our vehicles. My driver's license is good for too long though. My photo was awful!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our residence is Alaska, actually it is my oldest sons house where I get excellent mail forwarding service.

However, I chose a Medicare plan where it really doesn't matter where I receive my medical care from but the plan was originated from a carrier in Alaska. It's all based on your Domicile address, not your residence.

I went with Medicare Plan F through Premera BCBS of Alaska.

My wife's plan, who is significantly younger than I am, is through the same company but a non-Medicare plan.

Presently we are seeing doctor's, etc. in California where we used to live before retiring.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're on Medicare, look at a supplement. We decided to go with Plan F and can see any Doctor or hospital that accepts Medicare.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #8

You may need to use the same address as SS. Call SS or Medicare and ask about the ruling on full timers.

By the way, ACA has nothing to do with Medicare
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
For full-timers with a Livingston address who need health insurance and are not eligible for Medicare.

No, you don't have to choose a dr from Livingston, TX. If you choose for example, a TX BCBS PPO plan, you can see drs from all over the US as long as they participate in the BCBS nationwide network. The key is choosing a PPO plan.

Sue
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We chose to pay a little extra and go with a plan F supplement. We can got to any Doctor or hospital that accepts medicare....no network.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We chose to pay a little extra and go with a plan F supplement. We can got to any Doctor or hospital that accepts medicare....no network.

Ken
Look at Plan N to save money
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford