Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Do you not stop, get out to disconnect toad, get back in and drive to site, back in, lower jacks, maybe coach is to un-even to level without tires coming off the ground, move, get out and put blocks under tires, drive up on blocks, lower jacks again and then hook up utilities? We had motorhomes for 12 years and I know I did.
With that said now that we are in a 5th wheel I feel it IS easier to set up and take down a motorhome but not as much as some feel it is.
Well not for pull throughs, but yes, we will discontect the toad while registering for a bacon. Takes 3-4 minutes. At the site, back in (very easy with backup camera), turn off engine, push a button and she levels, then hook up power and other utilities depending upon the length of stay. Most overnight stops are pull throughs. You must have had a gasser?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are staying a month at a time in one location then go 5th wheel, but if you are staying a week at a time then go moho.... Having to not go outside in the rain and snow to use the toilet is the benefit if a moho when traveling...
Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
If you are staying a month at a time in one location then go 5th wheel, but if you are staying a week at a time then go moho.... Having to not go outside in the rain and snow to use the toilet is the benefit if a moho when traveling...
I'm not sure what your reasoning is. Look at the snowbird parks and you'll see many motorhome owners staying the season - 5-6 months. There's no harm done to the motorhome and you can have a fun LITTLE car for touring around.

It's recommend that you don't start the engine if you're not going to take it out for a long drive. Farmers leave their equipment sit all winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #32

Agree.. I can back my 32 ft tt into a spot
Take the load off the jack,plug in util.
And put out slides. Done.. but not optimal
For anything other than a one night stay.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I agree that to each their own and spot on about the length of stays in FW vs MH. We try to set up our FW fast so we can go for a walk and get some exercise. We also carry a motorcycle for 90% of our local driving. Just pointing out different options depending on your health/energy level.
What are you pulling your 5th wheel with? And are you happy with it? Reliable?
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
What are you pulling your 5th wheel with? And are you happy with it? Reliable?

I have a 2018 Chevy 3500 dually. I had a 2006 Chevy 3500 dually (picture) with 315k miles prior to this truck. There is a big difference in price, but the new truck is very nice. It has more power, exhaust brake, and even get better mileage, 12MPG vs 11.5MPG with the last truck (based on my driving habits). I have 13k miles on it mostly all towing and so far I need to fill the DEF tank every 2500 miles. I also have a swivel wheel attached with a motorcycle (GL1800) and scale at 25k lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albuquerque 10-5 482.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	266092  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #35

I don't full time, but I just spent 3 months in the summer on the road, to Alaska and back. I have a fifth wheel, but did start RVing with a TT. Of note, I'm a single female who travels alone. The longest I stayed in one spot in the 13,850 miles traveled this summer was 5 days in my sister's driveway in Spokane.

I can hitch and unhitch in 20 minutes flat, even in the rain. And, in northern Alberta, snow. There were nights when I did not unhitch, but 98% of the time I did. I moved every single night for over a week on my way back. Didn't love it due to driving every day, not due to having to hitch and unhitch. It's really pretty easy with Andersen Jack blocks for the front landing legs, snap pads on the rear stabilizers and auto level.

I've never had a motorhome, but I did help a lady who full times get her toad hitched up this spring. She was blocking the road out of the campground while I was trying to leave and really struggling with her toad hitch, which she told me was new to her; she's been fulltiming for years. It took her nearly 30 minutes, even with my help, to get it right. Now, this might be an outlier, I don't know, but I came away from that thinking I'd probably never be interested in doing a MH/toad combo if I had to do that.

I really like my fifth wheel in terms of size and how awesome the layout is. I have a residential fridge with inverter that can run it for over a day. I have an 85 gallon fresh tank and can do an electric only site for a week with some water management skills. I love my truck and daily drive it at home; park in a hospital parking garage. Are there places I don't take a long bed crew cab truck? Yes. If going downtown I'll Uber from work. It's just easier. Costs like $7 and in the end is approximately the same as if parking a vehicle in a downtown lot. Plus I get dropped off right at my location; no hoofing it from a few blocks away where the parking lot might be.

I can see there are advantages to MHs. Pulling into a rest area for a cat nap without getting out would be nice, but it's not that big a deal to exit the truck and walk to my fifth wheel's door. I can get to the bathroom, bedroom and fridge without putting slides out, so my floorplan works well for traveling. For me, a fiver just works. No interest in changing how I travel, but as many others have said: to each their own. I really don't understand when MH people say things like "if you're parked, fifth wheel, if moving around MH." In today's day and age of fivers having auto level, there's really not much difference in set up and certainly no reason why you cannot tow a fifth wheel all over the place; my summer experience proved that. Have fun deciding!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #36

Good post, drdit92. It is human nature that most people will go out of their way to justify their choice of RV. Any choice of RV has it's pro's and con's and the biggest issue is how adaptable are you to your RV. We also FT in a fifth wheel but I'm sure if/when we make the move to a MH, we will like that also.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #37

Funny how these "This vs. That" questions seem to fly off the rails so quickly.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #38

For us, MH works best. Never had a FW but used to pull a TT. The convenience of the MH is what sold us. Wife has a small bladder, so no need to pull off the road when she needs to go. Plus if I want a cold beverage or a sandwich when on the road, then the kitchen is only steps away.
Yes I typically need to unhook the toad at the camp area, push out slides, auto level, hook up utilities like any other rig. No difference there.
I also feel my rig is better built than a FW but that certainly isn't true for all MHs.
At the end of the day, there isn't a "right" answer because it all depends on what is right for how you want to travel, space needs, typical climate, money considerations, and what feels most comfortable.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #39

We’ve had 2 toy haulers and are on our third motorhome. I wouldn’t own a motorhome if we didn’t live in it. It can’t be used for anything else. I don’t want another 2500 or 3500 truck because they really sucks as a daily driver. Had enough of getting beat around in a bouncing truck. We plan to change back to another toy hauler pull trailer and half ton truck in about 5 years to have another toy.
On our 20th year of full timing
Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdit92 View Post
It took her nearly 30 minutes, even with my help, to get it right. Now, this might be an outlier, I don't know, but I came away from that thinking I'd probably never be interested in doing a MH/toad combo if I had to do that.
If you have your tow bar system and the car setup correctly, towing 4 down is by far the easiest and fastest way to hook and unhook a toad. She obviously had a poor, disorganized system if it took her 30 minutes even with your help. Dolly's are even worse and way more of a hassle too.

We tow 4 down, and my wife and I usually always work together to hook up our toad. Her on one side, I on the other. I usually unhook by myself while she is registering us at our destination. In either case, it takes us no longer than 5 minutes. However, my wife can hook up our toad all by herself with no problem very quickly too.

As far as the OP's original question:
We've never had a 5th wheel, just a MH but we've been on the road now going on 2 years. We love being able to stop at a rest stop or parking lot, walk back and use the potty, fix something to eat, maybe take a nap and then get back on the road. Never leaving the MH. That experience would be a whole lot different in a 5th wheel.

We also didn't want to explore NP's, the beach or other POI's in a big truck.

Having a gas MH with our toad, we're 54' long and I've learned how to assess quickly from the road what gas stations have a good entry and exit strategy and I can get in and out of there with no hassle. The toad just follows the MH with no swing. With a big 5th wheel and gas truck...no way. Sure it can be done but not for me. If we were to buy a 5ver (which we won't) but if we did, it would have to be a diesel so we could fuel up in the big truck lanes.

There's a lot more to this whole 5ver vs MH choice but that's a couple of points from us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	266625   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	266626  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #41

Haveing done both it really comes down to what you want to drive around while staying in an area. Started with 5th wheel and crew cab. Went to class a so we could go jeeping in the west. Both work but in general the 5th wheel set up will cost you less.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #42

I've had towables and now a MH. I won't go back to a towable. It's much easier to setup with a MH than a towable. Plus when I get in the MH I feel like the vacation starts. Not so much with a towable. I also like that when I get to camp the MH is heated or cooled, no waiting for it to cool off like a towable.

But the very best thing? I like to being able to set the cruise and go to the back for a bathroom break.

j/k on that last sentence.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, full time