Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Mom & Dad. You always did seem to know what was the right thing to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 1998 I retired for health reasons, we sold everything and went on an adventure. We bought a 9 year old Aerostar, took out the seat, built some compartments and took it around the country for 4 months. When we got tired of sleeping in it we got a room, but for the most part we stayed in it and just camped. It was such a feeling of freedom, it was exhilarating. The only thing my wife kept looking at was real campers with more room. She has had a thing for that ever since.
About 2 years ago we went to a RV show, and that was it. We have been plotting ever since.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #31

We've always had "wanderlust". Our first camping vacation was to Canada many years ago in a station wagon. Eventually we bought a new popup camper, then several 5th wheels. We often talked about full timing. And then one day after years of talking about selling all & hitting the road for good, we decided if we were going to do it, we'd best get on with it. We now full time in our 2nd MH - 5th year - and love the life style. We do a lot of spontaneous things. We go down a lot of roads with the bus and/or the toad "just because" it looks interesting, we haven't been that way before, someone told us about some neat things "over there", we've read about it, or we simply are curious about what's around the next bend or corner. We seldom stay in one place more than a month or 2 and unless it is for a very special family occasion, we have never made reservations. DH says if one campground is full or we don't like it, there's always another one down the road. So for us it was an idea that had been simmering for a very long time, but the actual decision was made and executed very quickly. Good luck with your decision & adventures! (When I asked DH what we would do if we got out there and decided we didn't like it, he simply said, "they're still selling land & houses aren't they?)
wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
quote: "
Shh, don't tell my DW but that is what I am trying to get to in buying our first R.V. Learning alot from this great forum and really enjoy reading all the comments. We are going to Quartzite for our first trip in Jan. and hoping the DW falls in love with this life style...If things work out we will be going out for 45 day, she doesn't know it yet, on a long trip of 4,900 miles. Hope all goes well and we can talk to some full timers along the way so I can show her how great it would be to meet new friends and see this great Nation. "

I had a girlfriend for 3 yrs. We got along so great. She had never been camping except in a tent 2-3x when she was about 33. I inhereted a 22ft LazyDaze, and she loved camping in it. Calif beaches and mtns. 3 day music festivals, etc. Many Great Times. We went out about 10x in the 2 yrs I owned it. Just let her know, and she was ready !!!

I sold it and got the one I have now. We only went one time for 2 weeks last June to Durango, Co., stopping at all the NP's and sites along the way.

I guess I expressed to much excitement about 'fulltiming' in it when I retire.
I tried to get her motived about it...... No go.

She is a home body. She has 2-3 more yrs working than me. She loves her condo. She started a side business decorating wedding receptions. Her leeching (dependent) sister moved in with her. On & on & on.

Well guess what.....she dumped me because RVing ain't what she wants.

I found out right then that full-timing is not for everyone, and even just 'talking' about it can be too scary for some people.

Now I've decided not to date anyone until I'm out on the road in 3yrs. I figure when the time is right, there'll be some nice woman out there RVing by herself, and will already like the lifestyle.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wife and I decided many years ago we wished to "See the USA" so.. Our motor home is powered by a Chevrolet 8.1L Vortec (See the USA in your Chevrolet... powered motor home). Hopefully you are old enough to be laughing now.

Frankly. After much research it is a low cost way to live.. We pay less than 400 a year in property tax v/s over 4,000 when whe had a house. We pay in park rental less than what we spent on gas, water and electric, And we get to see the USA as we wished.

IN short, it don't get better than this.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #34

I have not even picked up my first motorhome (will on 1/26!!!! :-) ) to take advantage of a housing allowance and let my employer buy the old thing for me......and already my wife if thinking she needs to follow the gypsy in her and is looking at 5th wheels to become a "travelling nurse/part time snow bird"

You folks certainly are not scaring us off!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #35

When we first retired 12 years ago, we talked about fulltiming. We had an old slide-in camper that we used two weeks a year. DW decided and I agreed that I'd probably go nuts without my tools and workshop. We bought a new 5er and headed south for the winter but kept out S & B. Fast forward to today and we are on our 4th 5er and spend 5 months down south because the winters get harsh in the mountains of Colorado. But, come April, we head home to those wonderful mountains and spend most of the summer there. Often, during the summer, we spend a month or two in Idaho helping at an RV park near American Falls. I think we have the best of both worlds. Of course this doesn't count the month of May that we will spend at a beach house on Owahu visiting our Greatgrand- sons.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #36

That sounds great, can I tag along?!?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #37

Full time

My wife and I are considering a purchase of a class A and going out on the road. One problem my wife doesn't believe she will be able to share in the driving of such a large vehicle, any ideas.Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #38

Dick, what kind of mileage do you get on the 5er on the way over to Hawaii????
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #39

Foretravel Owners Club
Tom222

My wife said the same thing after out first excursion in our MH. No problem - we will drive until I get tired. I'll take a nap if it is early, our that will be our destination for the day. We are both retired so we don't have to be anywhere by a certain time.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222
My wife and I are considering a purchase of a class A and going out on the road. One problem my wife doesn't believe she will be able to share in the driving of such a large vehicle, any ideas.Tom
Driving a big rig is easy once you get the hang of it. In fact in the mountains I find the rig drives smoother than our small car! You can start slow, practice in empty lots and/or take a class before you take it on the road. The RV driving classes are excellent. And really, driving a big rig is sooooo much fun!!

Don't know if that helps, but you're welcome to show her a video of me driving too. Got one on the blog with some extra tips for women getting behind the wheel:
https://wheelingit.wordpress.com/201...-at-the-wheel/

Nina
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #41

So cool and inspiring to read everyones stories. I'm new to full timing and RVing. Just about two months in. I'm a touring artist so for me that was really the only option to afford to tour. I have a two year artist visa to the US.

So many here are writing that they've been full timing for 10 some years. For you who are not retired - how do you afford it? Do you work? Do you mainly boondock? Stay in one place a lot of the time?

For us gas is our biggest expense. We don't spend more than 1-3 nights in the same town and usually have to fill up twice a week. So far we've managed on our income from concerts though so that's good.

Would be interesting to read how you manage the financial part.

Cheers Sofia
http://sofiatalvik.com
Sofiatalvikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #42

Sofia, I too am totally new to this, working in the oilfield busines I may be in Texas this year, Oklahoma or? next year....but I think I am gonna like this whole RV thing too!