RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

All electric vs propane

I am searching for an older coach.
Bit of a newbie. But I'm not a new rv owner . Dw and I are going to
Do full time hopefully by next summer. I've been looking at quality older coaches. Newmar essex, tiffin zephyr,country coach
Magna series. Some coaches say
All electric some have propane.
What are the advantages disadvantages over a coach with
Propane. I know some refrigerators run on propane..
When not electric. When my wife
And I boondock in our 32 ft tt its
Nice to have propane. Does the fridge in an all electric run off the
Battery inverter until drained than
The gen kicks in?? How long roughly will an all electric run on
Batteries alone using minimal
Fridge water pump etc.
Sorry if these are newb questions..

varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

A lot of questions in one post.
If the coach is all electric then it has a household refrigerator and an electric stovetop.

If it has propane it could have propane powered stove top and a household refrigerator or an absorption refrigerator that will run on either 120v AC or propane.

If it's a household refrigerator then how long it will run on the inverter is based on how many batteries it has. I have 6 batteries and the refrigerator will run for several days without charging. Yes, my generator will start if the batteries get too low.

I have propane for the stove top, a household refrigerator and for heating I have an Oasis diesel burner. It provides heat via 120 v AC or by burning diesel. It also doubles as the water heater.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You won't find many "older coaches" that are all electric. So exactly how old do you mean ?

Do you plan to do any boondock camping? Cause if so, you better have large battery bank and solar if you can afford it.

Would like to know Ljowdy means for running a RR on inverter for "Several Days" without charging battery bank.
You don't sell real estate in FL too do yeah

"I have 6 batteries and the refrigerator will run for several days without charging."
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I have a 2012 all electric coach for sale.

if interested, PM me
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
A lot of questions in one post.
If the coach is all electric then it has a household refrigerator ...
It is also possible to have a compressor refrigerator which runs on 12vdc. We've got one by Vitrifrigo, and it will keep food as well as a residential. Of course there pro and con arguments for both residential fridges and those like ours. Just pointing out that it's possible to be all electric and still have added boon docking capability.

There are also all-electric coaches that use diesel heaters to augment/replace electric heaters. They run on 12vdc, and greatly extend the ability of an all-electric coach to boon dock.

Our first coach was an all-electric Custom Coach conversion. With the diesel heater and the 12vdc fridge the only difficulty when boon docking was the electric cook top. We conquered that by bringing along a portable propane cookstove which we sat on the counter when needed.

The real question as to which is better, all-electric or electric + propane, depends on your particular camping style and likes/dislikes. The propane appliances can greatly extend the ability to boon dock with a smaller battery bank, but then you have to have adequate propane onboard and be willing to fill the tanks when needed. To boon dock with electric only, you'll need a larger battery bank to make it through the nights without having to run the generator. Solar can also make an all-electric coach much more useful.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

Skypilot Kind of a rude remark especially when you don't know anything about me or my coach..

Yes, my household refrigerator will run for about 3 days without charging the batteries.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #7

No right answer. Pros and cons to both designs. My class A had a large LP tank, and it was very handy on a 2 week trip that included mostly camping at Walmart. Never a worry about low batteries.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #8

We have an all electric coach. It is nice to simply fill up the diesel fuel tank and never have to worry about propane. We rarely are plugged in and have no issue having all the power we need. The batteries are charged going down the road by a very large house alternator and the generator can charge the batteries when needed. It is impossible to give an estimate of how long anyone can boondock without running the generator because there are too many variables. The size of the battery bank and the power usage of each electronic device and how often they are used is so very different.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #9

I thought I wanted an all electric rv when full timing so that is what we got. Stayed mainly in rv parks so it worked fine. Now that I am part timing went with propane because with out solar it minimizes the amount of time I need to run generator. You need to figure out where you plan to camp. All electric rigs eat up batteries fast. Ours had eight batteries and three days was absolute max I ever got before generator needed to be run. Most of the time two because I never tried hard to minimize power usage. Good luck with your retirement and enjoy the rv lifestyle.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
We have replaced the propane/electric fridge (Damnetic 1492) with a residential one (Samsung 18)... due to fire dangers..and having everything in the freezer thaws out due to the coach (read fridge) not being level when traveling (read Rocky Mountains/west coast)

I really like that the meats/fish & ice cream stays frozen, the beer is cold and the milk does not go bad before it's time..... even in 110 deg heat..
And a residential fridge does not care if it isn't level...parked or when traveling.

The only propane usage is for the 3 burner cooktop and gas oven ..(don't mess with my morning biscuits)
and have a diesel fired Aqua-Hot for heat and hot water.
combined with a 200 gallon (usable) fuel tank.

Yes, I do run the gen set more than those with an absorption fridge.. mebbe an extra hour of run time per day..
Note..
Our coach has quite a few "parasitic" electrical draws..even when everything is shut off at night.

Happy Trails
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info.
I am mostly concerned about the fridge.
We've never lost food in our little Dometic
Fridge in our tt. And we've been through
The Rockies and other up and down places.
Sounds like as long as the inverter is good.
The fridge in an all electric will run thru the
"Quiet no gen hours" in places where we may boondock. Be it Walmart or state parks
With no electric hookups.
I know Walmart doesn't care and certainly the
Semis idle through the night. But in quieter
Places I just dont want to be rude.
In an all electric coach does the inverter
Power things like microwave . TV, stereo,
Ac. Dishwasher. Our tt does none of these items.? Obviously battery life will diminish
Quicker using these but I'm just curious..

As to the age of the coach. We are looking at 06 though 10. Mostly top of the line coaches like tiffin zephyr, newmar essex, etc. I just figure quality over newness
And then look at the year class we can afford.
Most we are looking at have around 30-70 k mi.
I like the cummins ism 500 with allison mh4000.
Wife wants a desk,dishwasher and lighter colored cabinetry. So it's a bit of a quest finding these requirements in one coach. But they are out there.
Again thanks for your input.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

What is your price range? You have the years as 2006 - 2010 but you're requirements are way up there.

Keep looking online at PPL Consignments in Texas and also Motorhomes of Texas for some good ones.

Good luck!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #13

You certainly can make it through the night running an electric refrigerator with many battery / inverter set ups. Some electric systems require the generator because they require too much power: air conditioners, outdoor electric range, washer and dryer. We can run our microwave , all TVs, lights, fireplace, operate the furnace, all outlets, refrigerator, radios, etc. with inverters and batteries. We have 5500 watts available through two inverters. I mentioned this prior, but also remember that many coaches have a house alternator that charges batteries as you are driving so the inverters are able to easily provide power going down the road. As you look at different RV’s, it will be important to know the size of the inverter and the amount of amp hours available in your battery bank.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What is your price range? You have the years as 2006 - 2010 but you're requirements are way up there.

Keep looking online at PPL Consignments in Texas and also Motorhomes of Texas for some good ones.

Good luck!!
Thanks. I know. We may settle. But for now
This is what were looking for. Probably
130-175 range. MOT Has some nice rigs.
As does ppl.

Tags
electric, propane