Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #1

My spouse and I have an ongoing discussion concerning fulltiming and how to occupy our time. He wants to sleep, be very laid back, maintains the RV when the mood strikes, does not want to participate in campground activities or go anywhere to do anything. She likes people and doing things, would like his company but does go alone. She has been told to go have fun and leave him to his couch.

Should she go on and have a good time and leave him with his couch? What is your take on this?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #2

My spouse and I have an ongoing discussion concerning fulltiming and how to occupy our time. He wants to sleep, be very laid back, maintains the RV when the mood strikes, does not want to participate in campground activities or go anywhere to do anything. She likes people and doing things, would like his company but does go alone. She has been told to go have fun and leave him to his couch.

Should she go on and have a good time and leave him with his couch? What is your take on this?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #3

Sure, why not?

Haven't you both had separate interests as well as common interests throughout your life together. Why should retirement or full-timing change that? You may be surprised to find he joins you more as time passes.

Go for it!

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 AM   #4

To, Grits

Make sure hubby doesn't take it too easy, especially just after leaving an active work life. Is's been said that " a rolling stone gathers no moss" and the same can be said of the human body. A sedentary life style lets all the " BAD " stuff happen and beore you know it you are in an ER or worse and then taking all kinds of meds to build up again.

Find some things you both enjoy ,it may take some compromising, but you'll both camp and live longer.

Hope I didn't offend, but I know it's important!!

Thanks===== AJBJRVERS
Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 AM   #5

I have two camping partners.

1.) My daughter who likes to hike or otherwise get out. The more primitive the better. I like that!

2.) My wife who likes to sleep late, eat out and shop. I can go along with that!

So . . . I adjust to who's with me (they go on different trips).

My wife has waited in the car (she'll work crossword puzzels) while I have taken a short hike. We have a small TV with a cd player, which she enjoys if I want to do something else.

She surprized me by getting into the spirit of panning for prescious stones at a mineral mine. Then we have gone into small towns to walk around, shop and eat, we've even gone to a movey.

Together, we've seen historical areas, gardens, State Parks, mountains, waterfronts, dams, waterfalls, etc. All have been easy walks. There sure is a lot out there to see. Whether one gets out of the car or not.

Good luck on your travels. With a little experience, I believe everyone, sooner or later, will enjoy the beauty and variety of our country.
icamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Grits

Sounds like ya'll need to get together with my spouse & I and see if we can arrange a swap ...we've been married 33 years. In our case he recently retired, and it's he who wants to get out and about in the campground and the local area, and she who pretty much stays in the motorhome staying up very late reading every night and then sleeping very late every morning. It can be interesting the "matches" couples often make, eh?

I think the "more active" spouse just has to go on and pursue his/her interests, including the less active spouse when that works out. The active one certainly won't be happy putting his/her life "on hold" waiting for the other to change ...that's not likely to happen.

Live and let live has worked for 33 years ...it's being tested a bit more now that he has retired, but with a little tolerance for difference it should last several more years, maybe even 33+!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote