Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #15

I'm a long time lurker here but I had to register to tell you there are survivalist full timing in RVs. When the balloon goes up people are ready. Most, like my family, full time in an RV around the country as anyone would. But they have plans. And those plans vary. My family has bug out land generally located in a central area within the USA.

The key point is that you can't let your prepper lifestyle overly restrict your lifestyle and life.
MaryKay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
......But they have plans. And those plans vary. My family has bug out land generally located in a central area within the USA.
So what happens if you're on either coast? The central area won't help much. On your way, people would be in a panic, fuel stations would run out of fuel as would groceries. A big thing is water for an extended period of time.

To be a full-time RVer survivalist you'd have to have everything with you (food, tons of water, fuel) to be able to stop in your tracks immediately.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #17

I know exactly what survivalist and prepper lifestyles are.
From all the replies above I think you can deduce that there is no survivalist faction in the general RV community.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
From all the replies above I think you can deduce that there is no survivalist faction in the general RV community.
Or...wouldn't a serious survivalist keep the specifics of thier plan from the public?

I submit 2 points for consideration:

1. The details of any person's disaster preparation is not a topic for public sharing.

2. After the 1989 Loma Prieta (San Francisco area) earthquake, the people there living in RV's were happy and comfortable due to their self-contained homes. The rest of use were not so lucky for several weeks. The trick is to keep the fresh water, fuel, and propane (if so equipped) tanks filled - and have safe/secure add'l food and water sources identified for when disaster strikes. With proper rationing, we are self contained for 2 weeks without any exceptional effort. Add the possibility of a catastrophic event being created in world affairs, we would be immediately adding to that cycle

That's just our opinion - Sans specifics
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post

See post 15 above.

Also, this thread was just started.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So what happens if you're on either coast? The central area won't help much. On your way, people would be in a panic, fuel stations would run out of fuel as would groceries. A big thing is water for an extended period of time.

To be a full-time RVer survivalist you'd have to have everything with you (food, tons of water, fuel) to be able to stop in your tracks immediately.
There is a solution to all of that. That is what prepping is all about. And water can be collected from streams, rain fall and filtered.

This might give you some ideas.

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/201...t-of-supplies/
Old 03-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I consider myself a survivalist/prepper and we are FT. We just sold the house which held all my storehouse type preps. As we FT without anchor land that we own, my preps are scaled down to portable & minimal go bags. Enough to ensure water, shelter, & protection for a week or so if we had to abandon RV/car. More importantly, we are experienced "woodsmen" types with very good knowledge of foraging, hunting, etc.

That all said, it'd be awesome if there were an ownership RV park of prepped types. I think at one time I read about a large cave being retrofitted for this purpose. Security etc would be much better covered in a community.

At any rate, it's an interesting topic. Looking forward to other responses.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah ... I did the boy scout thing and get the whole idea of being prepared. I also recognize that anybody trying to "bug out" in a RV will be anything but stealthy. I also know they won't be carrying much more than a couple weeks worth of provisions. Unless you're looking an bugging out to avoid natural disasters (i.e., hurricanes, etc.) - an RV ain't gonna be of much help to you.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
I consider myself a survivalist/prepper and we are FT. We just sold the house which held all my storehouse type preps. As we FT without anchor land that we own, my preps are scaled down to portable & minimal go bags. Enough to ensure water, shelter, & protection for a week or so if we had to abandon RV/car. More importantly, we are experienced "woodsmen" types with very good knowledge of foraging, hunting, etc.

That all said, it'd be awesome if there were an ownership RV park of prepped types. I think at one time I read about a large cave being retrofitted for this purpose. Security etc would be much better covered in a community.

The idea of an RV park for preppers has been kicked around a lot. But, getting together a group of like minded people is difficult.
Survival Prepping For Hard Times | An RV Park For Preppers?

One thing a RV prepper can do is make friends along the way so that if something happens they have a support system to lend a helping hand. To find like minded people it helps to immerse yourself in the prepper community.

To me being an RV prepper makes perfect sense. You are living your life on your own terms and prepping for possible bad times.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Yeah ... I did the boy scout thing and get the whole idea of being prepared. I also recognize that anybody trying to "bug out" in a RV will be anything but stealthy. I also know they won't be carrying much more than a couple weeks worth of provisions. Unless you're looking an bugging out to avoid natural disasters (i.e., hurricanes, etc.) - an RV ain't gonna be of much help to you.
If I understand the original post it is about survivalist who are full time survivalist/preppers; not about bugging out in an RV.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post

I find there is a lot of room in an RV for preps. I have Mountain House freeze dried foods under my bed. I also use it for hiking.

Backpacking has been great in changing my prepper mindset.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
There is a solution to all of that. That is what prepping is all about. And water can be collected from streams, rain fall and filtered.

This might give you some ideas.

Prepping 101 - Preppers List of Supplies - The Prepper Journal
I guess I was referring to you mentioning that your family has bug-out land in central U.S. This post is about RVing and traveling. If you're on the west or east coast at the time of disaster - serious disaster - how are you going to get to central U.S? Everything could be shut down. Say you happen to be is the southern California desert or any western desert, you're not going to have rain and finding water would be iffy. Yes, you could haul around a big trailer on the rear of your RV stocked for this purpose but you'd better have a powerful motorhome or truck to be able to pull a truckload of water.

If you live on land prepared for this purpose that's different than traveling in a RV. You don't know where disaster will happen.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #27

Any Full Time RV Survivalists Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Back in the 80's when there was a real fear of nuclear war I read a lot of books about survivalists who were preparing to survive what came after. I don't think I'd like to see what came after and I hope it would be a quick end for me if it did come.

But I was wondering if there are any full time survivalist. I'm not talking about people who have a RV at a bug out location. I mean people who move about the country.

I saw this set up and the idea came to me that it is possible to take it all with you. Now you may take it with you and then try to get to a more permanent set up.
http://www.curtrich.com/NewGarage.html

You seem to have a deep concern about possible events.
Are you a survivalist? Have you prepared? Otherwise why ask?
We bugged out from Savannah a day before hurricane Mathew, and moved East near Atlanta.
We have been prepared since 1968, even more since we went fulltime.
But we don't fret about it. Knowing when to escape calamity is not a unique skill set. Eh?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You seem to have a deep concern about possible events.
What in what I wrote in my original post gave you that idea?

Tags
full time