RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

Any full-timing amateur musicians?

I play banjo and guitar. Anyone dragging instruments around with them? If so, how do you protect and store them?

NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #2

I would never full time without mine. Guitar , mandolin. and a small pa. I can play coffee houses and cafes anywhere.

varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #3

Im not full time, but Im on the road for two or three months a year. I find my guitars will stand in the closet in the bedroom. My water heater, and a drawer, is under the closet, so it is not a full height closet. The hanger rod is just the right height that I can slide the top of the guitar case up behind the bar. It holds the guitars in the vertical position, and they cant get out. The clothes hanging beside the guitars stop them from falling sideways. I have done this on two different mhs, so maybe yours would work too. Cheers
Old 01-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im not full time, but Im on the road for two or three months a year. I find my guitars will stand in the closet in the bedroom. My water heater, and a drawer, is under the closet, so it is not a full height closet. The hanger rod is just the right height that I can slide the top of the guitar case up behind the bar. It holds the guitars in the vertical position, and they cant get out. The clothes hanging beside the guitars stop them from falling sideways. I have done this on two different mhs, so maybe yours would work too. Cheers

Genius!
I donít know why I didnít think of this! Our least used wardrobe is perfectly sized for this. They fit right in! I cut a piece of pool noodle for around the bar, so the headstocks arenít knocking around and threw in an old tension rod on the bottom to keep them from sliding out. Even room beside them under the hanging clothes for my little Orange practice amp, and the rubber feet keep everything in place.

Any worries about the environment swings? Never seems to be an issue for my Tele, but banjos donít really like quick temperature/humidity changes.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #5

I keep them in the storage under the bed
davdamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdamon View Post
I keep them in the storage under the bed

Our under bed storage has drawers, which limits how many large items we can have in there. Drawers looked convenient when buying, would never have them again.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #7

my mandolin,suitcase with mic and wires
mic stand and small pa system all fit under
the bed we didnt use that space anyway.
guitar in case fit in wardrobe..
leaving instruments in the hard cases helps mitigate temp and humidity shifts.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #8

Ive never had any problems with temperature changes as the temperature is usually controlled. I guess if you were boondocking in the desert, and it got 100 plus degrees in the rv, you might get concerned. They suggest when you take them on an airplane, to detune the strings to relieve tension on the neck caused by altitude changing the pressure. If you are worried about it, just release the tension on the strings a bit. A humidifier inside the case never hurts either.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #9

Rv can get to 100 degrees quite quickly.
For us as campground hosts working 6 hrs
i usually come back for a break. lunch.
but if you were to say have a power failure
it doesnt take long for an rv to get right up there.Leaving them in good cases helps
mitigate. Its not necessarily the temperature as it is the time it takes to get there. going from 40 to 100 in 20 min is much more damaging than going from 40 to 100 in 8 hrs.

Tags
full-timing, music