Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Any interesting reactions to your lifestyle?

Well my grown up kids are kinda stunned by the concept that we will sell the house, and that we are not committed to the full time maintaining of their rooms forever as some sort of historic shrine to their misspent youth.

Anyway, it has me wondering: Have any of you had interesting reactions by others when they hear about your full-time lifestyle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Not a lifestyle change , but I was born and raised in NYC and my Son cannot believe that I'm a Nascar fan.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You betcha!

One friend asked...."you're going to live in a machine"?

Another could not comprehend not having a fixed dwelling no matter how much I tried to explain it.

Another asked...."you're going to sell your only appreciating asset and buy a depreciating one"? Ya gotta pay if ya want to play. Now that I'm back in a house and the MH is sold, he said...."You achieved your dream. Not many can say that". I heard that from many.

My kids were adults when I went fulltime and they had no problem with it.

Many actually thought I lived in South Dakota and they would ask about the weather, etc.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Well my folks were going to sell everything and go full time about fifteen years ago. I talked them into selling their big house and getting something small and filling it with their most prized possessions. Now they are very glad they did. They full timed for about 5 years until Heath issues dictated they come home. So now they have a cozy home and have many of the things that they needed/wanted and would have had to buy again.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Well not from our family as we've been rving for decades. But friends and neighbors, especially the ones that can't be too far from home, mom, etc. will never understand. They just think we are nuts.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #6

We have found that there are two distinct groups... the family/friends who are thrilled for us and would love to do it too ... and the set that politely congratulate us but think we are nuts.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

a lot of jealousy
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We're into our 7th year and no one in our families believed we would still be on the road at this point. In fact most didn't think we would last a year - not sure why. Do they think we are crazy, yes. But then, we left Washington State 46 years ago to go to grad school and they all stayed in the same place, so they really have never comprehended what we do and why we do it - - we have always been the odd ones in the family.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

Lol - I think you guys that full time are nuts, but I will be fitting in with you within a year - can't wait.!!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
The wife and I have been cross Country Two times once for six months and another for about four months each time we had a lot of fun but it was nice to get back home again.
We live in the Bay Area in California and go every month with one group or another on verious outtings and we go to Palm Spring ever year which in itself is a change.
Do what you want while your still able because you will not live for ever!!!!!!!!!
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Seems to me that everyone thinks it's great.......... Most of the comments I get are some form of "Wow, that must be fun, different, interesting, challenging, exciting, etc.", things like that. And then the occasional "Ooooh, I could never do that...."
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When we went full-time 16 months ago, it was with the full blessing of our son. You see, he inherited his parent's wanderlust and thinks what we are doing is "absolutely awesome!"; his words. It has also gotten back to us that he has told many of his friends that he is proud of us. It meant a lot when we heard that.

None of my wife's three sisters nor their husbands actually understand what we are doing. One sister tries very hard to understand but still doesn't get it. The other two are polite but think we're nuts.

My side of the family does get it, but only because it was a dream of my parents that they were never quite able to achieve.

The reaction from strangers is mixed. Some think it is really pretty cool. Others try to be polite but they can't fathom the idea of not having a brick and mortar home.

Our own attitude is that we are doing something that makes us happy. We are literally living the dream.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #13

Kids asked if we were sure we wanted to do this...for months before we made the big leap.
What about all of your stuff?
They had their pick of the stuff. They took little.
They have already inherited the tangibles, heirlooms, etc.
We found a "picker" that priced the rest, wrote a check, and hauled it all away, same day.
Had 100s of pounds of family photos, some going back to the mid 1800s. Digitized over 20,000 of them, sent DVDs to all.
So, got down to "what we aint got, we dont need".
Friends, neighbors, relatives gave us mixed reviews, ranging from fully positive from the adventurers that do travel, to total bewilderment from those that have never left their home county.
We are have a ball, living the dream, and...
THE JOURNEY IS OUR DESTINATION
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Reaction has been mixed, with most folks not being able to comprehend why we would give the kids all the household furnishings/items and sell the house. Our close relatives, brothers and sisters' cannot imagine life outside their respective urban enclaves. We are enjoying the freedom and, being honest, the distance between family -- hell, you only go this way once and you better darn sure enjoy the trip!