Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Any regrets?.....

Hi Everyone,

I was having a discussion with my girl friend last night about starting sooner rather than later, specifically when it comes to starting full time living in you M.H

I understand most of you folks had families and could not realistically move into a MH and travel around. Also, telecommuting to a job was not an option for most families. These are issues that we are not limited due t advances with technology, which also allows us to be very flexible with our life and careers.

Are their any folks out in the wild that can chime in about their experiences or regrets in starting to early or starting to late living full time in a MH.

Any experiences and opinions are definitely welcome and are being used in a constructive manner. My girl friend also gives her thanks to the full timers who took their time to respond to our inquires. We really do appreciate the experiences that you have shared previously in past /future threads.

Chris
CeeeKhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personal health, medical treatments, the need to visit family and grandchildren, and the weather are just a few factors than limit the distance you travel and the time of year you have to return to specific locations.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I fulltimed for 4 years. No regrets.

It was a great experience.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
It will be one of the coolest things you may ever do and I hightly doubt you would regret it! Never too soon to enjoy life! Have fun!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

So far our only regret is that we didn't start earlier .......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My dilemma is my wife seems to think that she cannot live without seeing her grandchildren EVERY day ha. May be tough getting her away for over a week at a time. Two more years to retirement, hopefully that feeling will diminish some ha
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
So far our only regret is that we didn't start earlier .......
This is what I hear the most. And I'm trying to apply this as soon as I can.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
My dilemma is my wife seems to think that she cannot live without seeing her grandchildren EVERY day ha. May be tough getting her away for over a week at a time. Two more years to retirement, hopefully that feeling will diminish some ha
This is where differences come into play .. when we leave family & grand babies, we sill be seeing more family & grand babies at the next stop ...
Thus the main reason our life styles being the same are so different ... its not a one size fits all ..... (Jackie's the same way)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I are full time we have been for going on 5 years, I was a hot head single 30 year old, when I started now we have a one and two year old. I work on the road only spending 2-3 months in a location, I don't really work in the winter so we can go see the grandparents. I will say it has been stressful and frustrating, I would say that we are too early. Everytime we move its insane crazy, I'm trying to get to a job, and she spends 2 days finding pediatricians that will work with our horrible private healthcare(thank you Barack, that's right I call you by the same name your mama shouted down the street). We spend all our efforts rushing somewhere and moving in that we don't get to experience anything, I fear my kids will have been everywhere before five yet experience nothing. I guess that may be ok cause they aren't old enough to appreciate it, but we are cheating ourselves. Once we could appreciate it I think it will be stale, it's a damn shame, the ideal is to be a Lone Ranger, stop when, where and for how long you want. You know go where it's beautiful, stay in places you get to fall in love with, meet people riding the same trail and run into them again down the road, leave for warmer when it's cold or stay as long as you want. Those who say it's never too early probably started at the right time in their life. Go for it, the destination is the journey, and all roads lead to the same place, you will end up where you started.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

A QUALITY TT FOR FULL TIMING? My house is up for sale, I will be full timing soon. I want to buy a 26-30' TT and rig to pull it. I lived in an Alpenlite 5er for two years so I know I can. My husband passed away, though,and I think I might find the TT less intimidating. I want to buy quality, such as a one piece I-beam construction under the TT. (I was told some I-beams are three pieces welded together) any other upgrades that are necessary for full timing in a TT? I looked at Jayco, Spree by KZ (Love the 262RKS)

Have a blessed day!
Judybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #11

Wow... Thanks for all of the replies and stories/advice.
We like to travel allot, if we purchase a SB. We are going to be doing 2 weeks a year for the next 20-30 years.
We are very active and that further complicates things when it comes to be being on a tether.
No kids and if we do have kids it will most likely be through adoption if possible.
As for family and parents. We can face time or video conference with them on a daily basis.
The telecommuting job option is really what makes this work without any issues in terms of upheaval and scrambling for work. We both have that option in our lives.

We have our share of issues as well, such as being "stuff collectors". We will need to reign in that part of our current life, in order to make this work on a logistical level.

I would say the part of the lifestyle that makes this worth undertaking is the adventure and the places and "cultures" that we can be apart of and experience. Also the food is another thing we are excited about.

The lack personal space is something we are going to try an figure out and get comfortable with in terms of working, living and sharing the same space.

When stuff happens there really is no place to go and cool off as the space is so small. I guess when in doubt, go out for a run, walk or ride.
The good news is we have some time to get this together.
The bad news is we have some time to get the logistical stuff worked out.
CeeeKhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeKhay View Post

We have our share of issues as well, such as being "stuff collectors". We will need to reign in that part of our current life, in order to make this work on a logistical level.

The lack personal space is something we are going to try an figure out and get comfortable with in terms of working, living and sharing the same space.
You really do have to pick and choose what you want to "collect" thats for sure. My wife and I spent 6 months practicing in our S&B living in the space we would in the coach. For storage/cabinets we used totes. Everything had to fit in the defined spaces. Anything not inside those spaces, as in stored elsewhere in the house/garage, had a 2 week hold before we could fetch it. It had to fit in the space we had or something else had to leave. It was good practice. Help you wrap your mind around it before you try it in a coach on the road.

Now as to personal space, some floorplans in a class A have a space in the rear that can be used as an office. Many also have a desk up front. DW and I have already figured out one of us can be in the rear of the coach and the other up front. No different than being in separate rooms in an S&B.

If you can beat the collector bug you will do fine.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Gone With the Wynns
Read their adventures and advice, it's a wonderful site. Two great young people who have helped many.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 AM   #14

Every situation is unique, space is small but the outdoors is always a option. Bad weather can be a little cramped at times. Our only regret is we didn't start sooner. We are both 60yrs of age and have ft almost three years and love it. Nothing in storage was our plan and we have succeeded. Our difference is that we have no brothers or sisters and no children! We are active in three mh clubs in which this year we are hitting 13 rally's. The network of friends is incredible. We met "the Wynn's last year in Goshen, In. Very nice couple! FT is what you make it. We like work camping and this year we're also hosting a Lighthouse for 30 days! The price of fuel now is good so we are trying to eliminate as many bugs with the windshield as we can! Good luck on your decision.