Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Any SD full timers use Legal Zoom?

Considering Legal Zoom for our wills etc. now that we have SD residency.

Anyone have experience with them?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

About 4 years prior to my mothers death which occurred in Sept. of 2009, I prepared a Living trust via Legal Zoom. It proved to be totally valid, legal and accepted by all involved which means I never had any problems with transfer of funds, real estate property, vehicles etc etc.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

Cut out the 'middle man' and do your own............

South Dakota Will Forms | Last Will and Testament | Living Will Archives - Will Forms : Will Forms
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Wow!

Thanks!
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

We looked into Legal Zoom for our wills but in Texas. We decided to go with Quicken's product. Then we own it and can make changes when we need too.

Texas allows "holographic wills." That just means they are completely hand written and signed. No witnesses, no notary. Easy if that's what you want.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Would you perform your own brain surgery or would you insist on a Dr lol lol lol. Do you know the difference between a Living Will, a Durable Power of Attorney or a Durable Health Care Directive. Many states have different laws and different terminology. Legal Zoom is just a program that you fill in the blanks to create legal documents. You still have to know and understand the laws of the state you are in, the legal terminology and which options to click on that are in your best interests. Paying for a lawyer is like buying insurance that it was drafted correctly and can save you thousands in the end if you did it wrong.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Would you perform your own brain surgery or would you insist on a Dr lol lol lol. Do you know the difference between a Living Will, a Durable Power of Attorney or a Durable Health Care Directive. Many states have different laws and different terminology. Legal Zoom is just a program that you fill in the blanks to create legal documents. You still have to know and understand the laws of the state you are in, the legal terminology and which options to click on that are in your best interests. Paying for a lawyer is like buying insurance that it was drafted correctly and can save you thousands in the end if you did it wrong.
Really depends on your situation. For instance, I've got a pension that dies with me or my wife. We have no home. We have no significant possessions, only what fits in our motorhome. We've got that too. No estate to speak of and all of it goes to our two boys, split 50/50 when we die. Powers of attorney, directives and all that aren't that big a deal either. Pull the plug. No financial matters to deal with, no estate to run, etc. Simple life, simple legal documents.

We'd be fools to pay a lawyer thousands to draft a two page will.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Texas allows "holographic wills." That just means they are completely hand written and signed. No witnesses, no notary. Easy if that's what you want.
When a holographic will is probated in Texas, there must be testimony proving that the handwriting is the decedent's. The ease of writing a holographic will has to be measured against the later hassle, although the decedent won't be the one dealing with the hassle so that might be acceptable to him.

And as long as we're talking about states other than South Dakota, I'll note that Florida, another state popular as a domicile for fulltimers, does not recognize holographic wills, even if it would be valid in the state in which it was executed. So if you're a Texan and have a holographic will and change your domicile to Florida, your holographic will is not recognized and you will be treated as if you have no will at all.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
"When a holographic will is probated in Texas, there must be testimony proving that the handwriting is the decedent's. The ease of writing a holographic will has to be measured against the later hassle, although the decedent won't be the one dealing with the hassle so that might be acceptable to him."

I can attest to this fact. You must to go before a judge with someone that can say under oath that "yes, indeed, that is Joe's or whoevers signature". Been there done that.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #10

Dan-McMartin powers of attorney, directives etc are important because if you are incapicated you need someone with the authority to say just pull the plug.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use my Legal Shield membership for all my legal work, my will packet came with my enrollment for free, it only took me 5 years to actually make it out, haha, but I had all the help I needed and then some.

Tags
full time, full timer