Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #15

Hi, Bonesteel, and welcome to the iRV2 forums.

Yeah, we're a bunch of old farts (some much older than others!). RAM is spot on - I'm a few years from retired and I'm usually one of the younger folks.

I think you're making a good choice to get out and explore the country and meet new people while you're in the physical shape to participate fully. One of the regrets of life is when we have the time and money to enjoy things our bodies are on the last miles... Following your instincts and your heart now will give you experiences you won't get when you're 70.

Good luck and safe travels always!

_Solo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Hi, Bonesteel, and welcome to the iRV2 forums.

Yeah, we're a bunch of old farts (some much older than others!). RAM is spot on - I'm a few years from retired and I'm usually one of the younger folks.

I think you're making a good choice to get out and explore the country and meet new people while you're in the physical shape to participate fully. One of the regrets of life is when we have the time and money to enjoy things our bodies are on the last miles... Following your instincts and your heart now will give you experiences you won't get when you're 70.

Good luck and safe travels always!

_Solo
Yes! I want to this while I'm young enough to get out and about and really experience what I want, and old enough to "know better" than when I decided I wanted to travel (you know... the late teenage idea, that screams "ROAD TRIP!" and ends up with four people in an 89 Civic, broken down outside of Detroit).

Thank you so much!
Bonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #17

Sorry....we were in our 30 somethings some 30 something years ago!

In our 30 somethings, we were having the best times camping with our two sons in our Starcraft pop up trailer. We have so many great memories and stories. If you are in your 30 somethings....take time to enjoy life......it passes by so quickly!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #18

There’s an offshoot of Escapees for the younger/working crowd called Escapers or something like that. They seem to have big rallies each year- have had a bunch of friends go.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #19

I'm 37 full timing with my two kiddos, and pets. We have been remodeling an older RV while living in it and working a full time job. We mainly travel on breaks from school as I am a teacher. We're gearing up for our first big cross-country trip this summer. I know of a few around my age that are full timers.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #20

So, I found the answer to my question in a very literal form. Marfa, Texas. They're in Marfa, Texas.
Bonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello Bonesteel, I was looking for information about batteries and stumbled on this haha. Totally relate to your post. Went solo FT at 45, been 5 years and sometimes I still question myself. I spend the winters months in the SW and travel north to Canada for the summers where I'm from. Ive yet to find any community that I fit in socially. Most of the younger people Ive crossed are travelers or couples not so much FT. For me It helps that I immerse myself in work and find locations that are really beautiful and activity oriented, join golfing, hiking, biking groups. Otherwise I tend to stay in areas close to friends or family to break up the periods of isolation. I think you and I are in a unique small demographic that is beginning to grow. I would love to hear if you find your niche. There are pros and cons to everything but I wouldn't trade the experiences Ive had in the past 5 years for the previous 10....
Rockford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #22

I would say most full timers in their 30s are just living in an rv. They probably go to work everyday. Not too many 30 year olds can retire and travel. We saw some younger folks in our travels, but as stated, they were mostly full time residents at the back of the parks. Most of the travelling rvers, were much older than us. We are in our early fifties. You could shoot a cannon through the campground at 9 pm, and not hit anyone.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I would say most full timers in their 30s are just living in an rv. They probably go to work everyday. Not too many 30 year olds can retire and travel. We saw some younger folks in our travels, but as stated, they were mostly full time residents at the back of the parks. Most of the travelling rvers, were much older than us. We are in our early fifties. You could shoot a cannon through the campground at 9 pm, and not hit anyone.
Not so. Younger full-timers work from their RV and they travel. Check out the Xscapers group.... (link above).
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #24

My wife and I are in our mid 40's and started with our first RV 5 years ago. We just purchased our fourth RV Last October.

We travel about 7-8 weeks straight in the summer with our two teen kids. We have RV'ed and stayed in all of the lower 48 and traveled into Canada in the RV twice. Ive been to all 50 but the wife and kids are just missing Hawaii. The wife is a teacher so during the school year we only go out about 4-5 short weekend trips, usually to Disneyland and home.

The people like you and us, under 50, are the oddity, the majority is as you have found out mostly +55 retired and taking their time seeing the country. I dont know were I will be in 10-15 years but I am blessed to be able to take the summers off and show my kids all the beauty's in this country now while they are at a great age to absorb what they see, and are old enough to be able to remember these trips decades from now.

Our favorite is to yell out "BEEN THERE!" whenever we are watching TV and see somewhere we have visited.
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #25

We started traveling fulltime 16 years ago, when my boyfriend was 35 and I was 45. We never ran across anybody our age doing it. In fact, we were once staying at an Escapees park and there was a basketball hoop, so we shot baskets for a little bit one afternoon. The next day, the hoop was gone.

Now, at 51 and 61, we're still younger than the old ones who are retired, and older than the hipsters who are living via the internet, so we continue not to fit in well with most other traveling fulltimers.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #26

Hi there! I'm 31 and buying a 38FT Class A Diesel pusher. I own a home but plan to go full time within the year. I'm so ridiculously excited for this new adventure. I've wanted to do it since I was 25 years old and I'm just now getting everything setup!
MarkAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #27

ive been full time traveling and working. i work most of summer and spring so i can take the winter off and do what i want. Bern on the road 10 years started at 31. there is a younger crowd out there but they are more then likely out west. only an opinion based on travels.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #28

We are in our 60s now, but bought our 31' Suncruiser when we were in our early 30s. For a while, we were going out 1x month. Lots of state park and national forest camping, dry snow camping when we went skiing (spent a couple of Christmases in the lot at Kirkwood in CA).

Plus, we always took it to visit family, weddings, funerals, etc. It was a real relief to have our own space to retreat to out on the curb.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote