Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #15

I use the VA medical system and found full-time RVing and the VA medical system to not really be compatible. While in Louisiana I fell and injured my shoulders, went to the VA clinic in Lafayette and found the Doctor very unsympathetic since the injury was not military related. Also since my blood sugar levels were out of control (A1C was 8.4) with just metformin, requested that glipizide be added (had been on it before). Nope, she wouldn't order it, would have to go back to the clinic in Walla Walla, WA to get it. Had told my primary doctor back in WA that I was going full-time, his remark was that I needed to stay with the current clinic as I needed to have continuity in health care. How is having six doctors in five years at the same clinic be considered continuous?

Anyway, got to Savannah, GA and moved my care there, my doctor there was fantastic, then he retired. Oh joy.

Point of this post, while there are great VA clinics out there, there are still some not so great. Full-time RVing and the VA can be done, but I have found, not easily. ( BTW, A1C is now 4.7 and am now off all diabetic medication)
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #16

D Lindy, why not use Express Scripts for your medications. They fill them for 90 days and you can even temporarily change the mailing address. We have ours sent to our mail forwarder and then they are sent when we ask for our mail. Cannot get narcotics this way. That requires a paper prescription hand carried to a pharmacy. I only have one script that even has a fee and that is because it is name brand.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
I am a veteran and a VA employee so I can speak with some knowledge. The VA has an integrated electronic health record for all veterans, it can be accessed from anywhere. If you live in LA, are visiting in NY yo can go to any VA healthcare facility and they can look up your records, refill most prescriptions, whatever you need. Many times I have assisted veterans who are from out of state by pulling up their records, the VA is the only hospital system that can do that. With over 150 hospitals and 1500 clinics chances are there is one close.

To the best of my knowledge you don't have to notify anyone, just show up with your ID card!

I consider it a privilege to have served and an honor to provide care for my fellow veterans!
You may be a VA Employee and YOU may have that ability to do as you say.....TX may be set up differently

BUT personal experience has proven differently.
I had to register at the eligibility office in each facility (hospital), was turned away at any other type of clinic (community based) and it had to be 'regional facility'

Hopefully it is different now......
Just posting what MY personal experience was along with 'HarryB' and 'MtCamper'

DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits.
Full Timing and trying to maintain TRICARE could be problematic.
Especially for dependents

D-Lindy

You should contact/inquire
Visit your local uniformed services personnel office or contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 800-538-9552. You can find the nearest uniformed services personnel office at: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #18

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
If you are away from the VA you normally use and need assistance you can go to any VA healthcare facility and they can assist you because they can access your records.
On the road I can go to any VA pharmacy and pick up what I need? If they have my records they can see what my primary has ordered and the last relill correct?
I was out 3 months last summer and ran out of a couple meds even though I refilled as much as I was able before leaving. They do not all fill on the same dates so some had 40 or 50 days and those filled days before leaving almost 90. I have asked for 90 days and was told it was not possible due to some kind of rules and only 30 days could be prescribed.

HealtheVet at home is so simple, check a box and it shows up in the mail in a day or two.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #19

my father uses the VA. we got this less than a month ago in the mail. "we have adopted a no refills at the window policy". they want only new and urgent prescriptions handled in person. they now say half of dad's medicines are automatically sent and the others i still have to call in. once he forgot to tell me to order something on time and it took half a day to get a medicine in person at the clinic [i went to the local clinic and then they said after an hour or 2 i had to go to the VA 75 minutes away and the pills weren't anywhere near ready when i got there] and they only gave him 3 pills because he did order them and the rx said he should get the pills he ordered by mail in the next 3 days. the VA has always been good to my dad and this was our fault so it was just a tiring day and our heads up that things can go wrong with dealing with them.
lilchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #20

Unfortunately the abuse of the system by a few individuals has caused difficulties for many others. This is the second va I have worked in, I have been able to access national records at both facilities in different states. I am truly sorry for those of you that are having problems. Unfortunately employees give out a lot of uninformed and completely untrue information about how the va really works!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #21

Well this could be bad news at least for me. Met a Vet at the park we are at and he told me he went to the clinic In Gilbert to get a flu shot and was told he is not in the system and would have to go thru the registration process here as he is from Minnesota. He told me he did not bother and went to Walgreens for his shot. We are leaving here May 1st and heading for Minot, ND. I have emailed the group at the Gilbert facility and notified them of this trip which now there is no return date in stone as the daughter is now pregnant with their first child and our first grand baby. I did not ask the Vet when this happened but I am sure it was not in the last year as they just arrived a little over a week ago as his Wife has bone cancer and she wanted to see the Sun Rise over the Superstition Mountains on her bucket list.

Dave

Dave

2002 Thor 32' Citation 5th wheel
davidc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #22

This may help yall....................https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/ac...mless_care.asp

It seems (from my limited use of it) to be what we need as full timers moving on a reg basis.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #23

KZ RV Club
Buddy retired Marine, full time just dropped from VA rolls. They found out is registered in SD and gets treatment in NM. Called to get a flu shot and found he was dropped. He full times and called SD a all they said was Oh your a Snow Bird, contact us when to the state. He now gets his VA notices at my POB, I'm only 1/2 time and have friends get mail weekly. Most VA mailing are appointment notices and I'm aware I have them. Wonder if davidc70 was talking to my friend as he's on his way from AZ and is getting on the rolls here.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Buddy retired Marine, full time just dropped from VA rolls. They found out is registered in SD and gets treatment in NM. Called to get a flu shot and found he was dropped. He full times and called SD a all they said was Oh your a Snow Bird, contact us when to the state. He now gets his VA notices at my POB, I'm only 1/2 time and have friends get mail weekly. Most VA mailing are appointment notices and I'm aware I have them. Wonder if davidc70 was talking to my friend as he's on his way from AZ and is getting on the rolls here.
I did not get to know them very well his name is Cal and wife Cindy and they live in Minnesota. Cal was in Nam 67 and 68.

Dave

2002 Thor 32' Citation 5th wheel
davidc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #25

KZ RV Club
Nope Al & Sylvia USMC 20+ years