Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
App for grandkids to track our journey?

We went full time last October and are loving it except for not being able to visit with our grandchildren. We video chat once a week but the kids seem to have a hard time grasping where we are I would like to find an Android app, appropriate for K-3, that would help them understand some basic geography while tracking us across the country.

Any suggestions?
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

KZ RV Club
SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Can't help you but had to chuckle..... when we began full-timing computers and cell phones weren't 'in style'. We had to use the phone booths and U.S. mail for postcards and letters. Still, at your grandchildren's young ages they might enjoy the novelty of postcards! Enjoy!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #4

Look at Life360 (free app). That will at least show them where you are.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

Google just a "new" feature to google maps "share location".

My wife and I use a program call Glympse when I'm out cycling or she's hiking alone. They can send you a request to view you on a map and it shows a comet tail when you are moving.

You could also enable "Geo Tracker" when you are traveling, save the path and email to them (or the parents) so they can view it on a map. That would let them save all the paths and get a big picture of your travels.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Can't help you but had to chuckle..... when we began full-timing computers and cell phones weren't 'in style'. We had to use the phone booths and U.S. mail for postcards and letters. Still, at your grandchildren's young ages they might enjoy the novelty of postcards! Enjoy!!
Excellent idea. I would bet the grandkids kids would really get a kick out of postcards from your travels. (do they still make postcards?) That is what we used to do a long time ago, and I've forgotten about it. I like the idea, and even with our granddaughter now being a young teen, she would still get excited with getting post cards.

We have been using Glympse the past few years, but we will look into the Google Maps new feature.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #7

Back in the 60s my grand parents traveled a lot. They would send my brother and I post cards. We loved it and would look for the mail.

It is a very fond memory of my grand parents.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
X3

In this all too-fleeting, digital world, something tangible that is personally selected and written might be viewed by the newest generation as something very special. Or, at least it would be a novelty. I might give this a try as well. Thanks!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

We have started using an app called Marco Polo. You just take a video with it, and talk, and the video is sent to our daughter's phone. This way they have a glimpse of seeing what you are seeing plus you can tell them stories and give them info.

I like the idea of a tracking app also.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #10

Wife is still very old fashioned and typically will today send a postcard or 2 a week when we are on our travels back to our youngest daughter at home base from "Renoir".

When the kids, now 33 & 26 were younger and used to travel with us she'd encourage them to send postcards to their friends, at least from one fun location on our Easter and Summer jaunts during school holidays. Their friends thought it was real neat and enjoyed them I recall.

She also does travel write ups/reports from the eyes of "Renoir", a bear we have had with us since Day 1 we first started RVing, we are just his driver and maid and it's his travels so to speak. He even has PJs he changes out into at bed time. Yep, she's an odd ball my old dear, but we wouldn't' change her for the world. She even names resident hawks Ethel & Fred and George & Mildred, and makes up stories about their every day lives, that seem so realistic when you are there in the moment. Kids and adult kids alike just love it.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

App for grandkids to track our journey?

Attention spans for young GRands is short. But the personal touch is what they will crave and look forward to.
The geography of a trip does not mean much. Seeing a track on an app doesn't thrill, although it may support personal contact!
We send letters and postcards! The anticipation goes viral in their minds.
A kid, a mailbox, and a personal letter are powerful! That and phone calls (FaceTime or Skype) completes the circle for them!
They don't need something nifty. The need the real you.
Color us "old fashioned and highly effective".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #12

Many times we will make our own postcards, print out a pic of us, our 7 yr old granddaughter loves receiving them. She doesn't travel as much with us now that she has school, but she does remember where she has been with us. Sharon snapped a picture of the wind farm thru Tehachapi pass, she remembered going thru with us.
I use an app called Here I Am, which puts your google maps location into an email. I always start the subject in yyyymmdd format to chronicle our travels, sending it to myself and son. The neat things is you can use it without cell coverage, it will send it when you have it back.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our family and friends can get a taste of where we're at and what we're up to via our website. Our detailed itinerary is available to folks we grant "Member" status (basically a very small number of family members).

We try to keep our postings on social media (i.e., FB, etc.) to a minimum ... in part, because it's difficult to know just who's "Wall" it's going to end up on ... and in part, because it feels kind of ostentatious to constantly be posting pictures of us wandering the country, having the time of our lives and basically proclaiming that "our lives don't suck!" to our large circle of friends - many of whom can't make the same claims. We have no plans to stop - but figure we don't need to use FB to essentially crow about our good fortune.

As far as any sort of "tracking app" ... I'm not sure I'm interested in having an application that makes it easy for folks to track me down.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
X3

In this all too-fleeting, digital world, something tangible that is personally selected and written might be viewed by the newest generation as something very special. Or, at least it would be a novelty. I might give this a try as well. Thanks!
Last time I checked, kids love getting stuff in the mail. Older tweens and teen maybe not so much but kids under ten or so for sure.

And a simple blog might be a good way to share your journey. Not too hard to set up or to post to. They can follow along on their devices.

There's also ways that kids of all ages might understand and appreciate. Instagram, Snapchat, etc. are really easy ways to share your travels and in a way most kids will enjoy. I know on Instagram, you can keep your account private and only grant access to those you chose, if that's a concern.

Food for thought.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey