Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Have the cheques sent to your children and they can deposit for you. As I recall your son is staying at your house so . . . .

Hi Gordon! No, my son is not living with us. We are hoping that he will buy the house in two years of we decide to continue the fulltiming!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We can deposit our misc. checks at the Bank of America ATM kiosk. We use Fidelity for our major financial dealings.

As a side note, I'm wondering why you state a one-year full-timing "trial"? One year really is not enough time. All your unanticipated problems and issues might happen in that first year and then you'll throw in the towel. Just a thought.....

Actually, it will be a two year trial period. We will lease the house one year at a time so if we find ourselves totally unhappy (which we certainly don't anticipate) then we can come back in a year.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hi Joe!

I have not been inside a financial institution or used an ATM in over 15 years. We get cash at retail check-outs.
We use a FCU where we have been members for over 40 years. They are non-profit with low CC rates, free zero-balance interest-plus checking/debit, real-time security alerts (never lost a dime), on-line bill-pay, instant check-photo deposit (phone ap), and cards that are accepted globally. And we have never, ever paid a fee!
Why not check out an FCU near you? Being able to do it all without leaving your RV and never needing to go to a bank or ATM is truly grand! And no need to burden your family.
Dave and Nola.

Dave, pardon my ignorance, but is the "FCU" short for Federal Credit Union? We have done some business with a local one.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #18

Banking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Dave, pardon my ignorance, but is the "FCU" short for Federal Credit Union? We have done some business with a local one.

Yes. federal credit union.
Members 1st FCU and Triangle FCU are both in Columbus. Perhaps there are others. They have websites so you can check/compare their on-line capabilities, national capabilities, and service offerings.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Gordon! No, my son is not living with us. We are hoping that he will buy the house in two years of we decide to continue the fulltiming!
Sorry my memory is going/gone. My recollection was in one of your other threads that your son would be staying at your house for the one year trial period.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry my memory is going/gone. My recollection was in one of your other threads that your son would be staying at your house for the one year trial period.

OK, I know now where you got this! At first, we were offering to let him move into the house and only pay the insurance and taxes, but that didn't work out. He would have to store all his furniture in a climate-controlled storage facility (very expensive), double his driving distance to work, etc. He decided that the small amount he would save would not justify the trouble and expense.

He is very interested in buying the house at the end of the two year period, so we'll see how that works out!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. federal credit union.
Members 1st FCU and Triangle FCU are both in Columbus. Perhaps there are others. They have websites so you can check/compare their on-line capabilities, national capabilities, and service offerings.

Yep, we've done a lot of business with Triangle FCU! Great folks to work with! What would the advantage be in using an FCU as opposed to a regular bank?
Old 11-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Yep, we've done a lot of business with Triangle FCU! Great folks to work with! What would the advantage be in using an FCU as opposed to a regular bank?

Banks are for-profit and look for ways to add fees and trim services to pad their bottom line for their investors. FCUs are non-profit and provide a higher level of service with fewer and/or lower fees.
If Triangle can provide the services I get from my FCU, I think you would do well.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #23

My 2 cents.... is to have 1 internet bank and 1 brick & mortar bank.

On the internet bank side, Ally or Charles Schwab offer free atm use at any ATM anywhere, including rebating the ATM fees. This is great if your brick & mortar bank is not in the area, or if you simply don't want to drive across town to pull some cash out of an ATM. As a bonus, Ally actually pays .6% on checking and ~1% on savings accounts, which is better than 99% of most banks. Additionally, both banks have remote deposit features either on your computer or smartphone for check deposits.

On the brick & mortar side, I'd suggest Wells Fargo or Bank of America for the rare occurrence you need to walk into a bank. Just make sure you get their free checking.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I talked with Triangle FCU yesterday and their interest rates are less than I'm getting from my present bank. Guess I will just stick with them for the time being!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Dave, I talked with Triangle FCU yesterday and their interest rates are less than I'm getting from my present bank. Guess I will just stick with them for the time being!

Hi Joe,
Other than interest-plus checking, I do not depend on any banking services for interest income. I invest in mutual funds. My job was financials.
Did you compare all other services and fees?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Joe & Annette, I did not take time to completely read every post due to my internet connection. Saw the recommendation for an FCU. I don't know if you have military service, and if you don't if "You" or "DW" has/had a Parent or I believe Grand Parent you can qualify to join USAA. They are established for banking "ON THE GO". You can conduct business on the web, or over the phone if no web/wifi service. Check deposit over the phone, and very easy to transfer funds to other accounts, USAA & Non USAA accounts. On the web site they have a link which will inform you if you qualify.
NOW I LOVE "AND THAT'S WHEN THE FIGHT STARTED"!
https://www.usaa.com/

My son loves the web features, he switched from Navy Federal to USAA in 2005 due to the superior support, 2 Tours Iraq, 1.5 years in Japan and not one problem doing business.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Joe,
Other than interest-plus checking, I do not depend on any banking services for interest income. I invest in mutual funds. My job was financials.
Did you compare all other services and fees?

Yeah, their other services didn't seem to offer anymore than we have now. We have a Rewards Checking account that pays us !.25% interest up to $25,000, and we just signed up for a companion savings account that pays .5% interest.

We don't have a lot of money to worry about and I have been afraid to invest in Mutual Funds. Can't afford to lose what we have!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bilgerat;2311353]Joe & Annette, I did not take time to completely read every post due to my internet connection. Saw the recommendation for an FCU. I don't know if you have military service, and if you don't if "You" or "DW" has/had a Parent or I believe Grand Parent you can qualify to join USAA. They are established for banking "ON THE GO". You can conduct business on the web, or over the phone if no web/wifi service. Check deposit over the phone, and very easy to transfer funds to other accounts, USAA & Non USAA accounts. On the web site they have a link which will inform you if you qualify.
NOW I LOVE "AND THAT'S WHEN THE FIGHT STARTED"!
https://www.usaa.com/

Hi Chuck! Unfortunately my only military service was 9 years in the Army National Guard back in the late 50's and early 60's, and none of that was active duty except for the 2-week field training each summer. My father did not serve and I don't know about my grandparents. I've heard a lot of good things about USAA. Wish I could qualify! Thanks!