Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
One of the reasons I like using Apple Pay (and more and more truck stops now have that option available) is that Apple generates a separate 'account' number that is good one time only for that transaction, so doesn't do any scammer any good. Also we have a separate card (which is what is linked to Apple Pay) just for fueling the motorhome at places that do not take Apply Pay. 3% on fuel rebate - which goes towards coffee at Starbucks. If it gets compromised, not really a problem as far as the rest of the cards go.

The other thing to do is go inside and prepay for the fuel - which we have done at a lot of places. We have a favorite truck stop in Smokey Point, WA (Union 76) that just lets you pump and then go in and pay. It is kind of tight in and out, but they have the best prices around and they are BUSY all of the time.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #30

We have had our CC info scammed a couple of times in our travels. It's no big deal, the CC takes care of the charges, the biggest PITA is getting new cards delivered. As far as cash, what is wrong with keeping cash hidden in the camper? I'm sure most of us do, just don't hide all your eggs in one spot. It's not like checking/saving accounts pay any interest.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We have had our CC info scammed a couple of times in our travels. It's no big deal, the CC takes care of the charges, the biggest PITA is getting new cards delivered. As far as cash, what is wrong with keeping cash hidden in the camper? I'm sure most of us do, just don't hide all your eggs in one spot. It's not like checking/saving accounts pay any interest.
That's why some of us don't keep a lot in checking or savings accounts but rather in investments that are making money for us and only transfer the minimum needed and left the rest working.
Blog
Old 05-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
That's why some of us don't keep a lot in checking or savings accounts but rather in investments that are making money for us and only transfer the minimum needed and left the rest working.

For cash on hand, I'm talking $2-5k. Hopefully that lost investment dosen't make/break a lifestyle!!
Investing $$ in twilight years should hopefully not be a priority, now is the time to spend and enjoy the fruits of your savings. Investing is for long term future, like 30+ years.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

For cash on hand, I'm talking $2-5k. Hopefully that lost investment dosen't make/break a lifestyle!!
Investing $$ in twilight years should hopefully not be a priority, now is the time to spend and enjoy the fruits of your savings. Investing is for long term future, like 30+ years.
At MOST we may have a couple of hundred in cash with us at any one time. Why not use CC and get the rewards back? Can't imagine why we would need to have $5K in cash.

Why would we NOT be making sure our money is working? My mom is 96 and still going strong. I plan on doing the same, which means my retirements funds have to keep on generating income for us. That means being somewhat active in managing our accounts. Like in January, when the market hit highs and our accounts had a VERY large gain over the year, we took out sufficient funds to make a substantial investment, and were still ahead of where we were the year before. Then the markets started downward, but instead of losing those gains, we were able to use them to our advantage. And when the markets finally settle on a bottom, then we may be enhancing a position or two in our portfolio.
Blog
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What happens to that hidden cash if you have a fire? Only keep as much as you can afford to lose. Plus I believe you make yourself a target if you carry much cash. You never know who is watching when you pull out your bankroll. They may follow you to a secluded site and ...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Banking while Full-timing

We started like grindstone but have let the balance drop over the last couple years. The cash and other important papers are in a fire safe. We don’t wave the cash around in fact don’t even take it out. If it’s stolen I have insurance specifically for that event. Even if it is Stolen luckily we are in a position a few grand won’t be a catastrophe. I like keeping some cash availableeven if we don’t use it regularly and we also carry 2 weeks food rations in a bucket in the bay.
I like being prepared.
To the OP .. open a national account even if you hate them .. use the local everyday but the National is available if you need it.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #36

You may want to check out exactly the specs on the 'safe'. We had a friend involved with an RV fire and when he opened his safe all the papers were ash. Yes, the safe survived but the heat took a toll on the belongings.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
There are data files of everything in the cloud. My kids have copies ( except the cash[emoji6] though they’d like to keep it for me! ) the safe is “rated” a specific fire safe, not so much a burglar safe , if it doesn’t do the job the insurance covers the amount of cash , and everything else. I’m not worrying about all the possibilities. I thoughtfully covered what I can. now I’m Too busy having fun.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #38

How often does your RV burn up in a fire? I have a greater chance of winning the Lottery even though I don't buy tickets. A stash of cash is good to have on hand. You never know when a situation might arise and everyone accepts cash on the spot 24/7. When we started full timing I would carry $10k cash but have since reduced that amount. If I lose it or get robbed, it won't change my financial life style any.
At 90 years old, I don't plan on living an expensive life style, certainly not traveling much and fewer gym memberships.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #39

Quote:
When we started full timing I would carry $10k cash but have since reduced that amount. If I lose it or get robbed, it won't change my financial life style any.
It's in your mattress, isn't it?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
It's in your mattress, isn't it?

Actually in different spots, no sense putting all your eggs in one basket. Loaded 9mm is close to one stash!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
There are data files of everything in the cloud. My kids have copies ( except the cash[emoji6] though they’d like to keep it for me! ) the safe is “rated” a specific fire safe, not so much a burglar safe , if it doesn’t do the job the insurance covers the amount of cash , and everything else. I’m not worrying about all the possibilities. I thoughtfully covered what I can. now I’m Too busy having fun.
I've wondered about this. It's hard to imagine a claims adjuster just accepting whatever amount of cash I'd want to declare.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Actually in different spots, no sense putting all your eggs in one basket. Loaded 9mm is close to one stash!
Ah, that way the robber gets your money and shoots you. Smart.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-timing