RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

And so far it has been great. The biggest down side has been the mosquitos! The up side has been the great places we have seen the people we have met. We are wandering though the heartland right now, headed for some family get togethers in the east. Our most frequent comment from the folks we have met is "you are too young to retire!" The other is "I wish I could full time like you, but I can't yet because of ___________" (fill in the blank).

Bottom line is you are never too young, and just do it. You will not regret it. The DW has started an RV blog at My Trip Journal.com. Her screen name is RVnChick, and she has faithfully posted entries after every stop. She has done a great job, and it has really given her a focus after all her years of punching the clock.

It is a great life style, but I highly recommend having a really supportive partner to make it work. With a great partner, all the bumps are not so big.

Sarge

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

And so far it has been great. The biggest down side has been the mosquitos! The up side has been the great places we have seen the people we have met. We are wandering though the heartland right now, headed for some family get togethers in the east. Our most frequent comment from the folks we have met is "you are too young to retire!" The other is "I wish I could full time like you, but I can't yet because of ___________" (fill in the blank).

Bottom line is you are never too young, and just do it. You will not regret it. The DW has started an RV blog at My Trip Journal.com. Her screen name is RVnChick, and she has faithfully posted entries after every stop. She has done a great job, and it has really given her a focus after all her years of punching the clock.

It is a great life style, but I highly recommend having a really supportive partner to make it work. With a great partner, all the bumps are not so big.

Sarge

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice to hear about someone else taking their life on the road. My wife and I have been full-timing for 4 years and cannot agree more about your comment regarding a great partner. We really cranked up the stakes this year by having a baby girl. Ay six months old, she's probably one of the younger full-timers around. One added piece of advice. Everything is fairly easy when the sun is shining, you're paying the bills, and your health is good. If you still enjoy full-timing when it's been raining for a week, money is tight, and you're sick as a dog, then you know you've picked the right life style. We've had our share of difficulties but at the end of the day, we wouldn't have it any other way. Best of luck to you both.

Jack
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #4

Wow! Full timing with a 6 month old baby! You are either the bravest or the craziest person I know!! Really though, good luck Jack. I'm sure the good times will out weigh the bad.

Take care, Sarge
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sarge,

Here's a hint. It had nothing to do with bravery. Thanks and maybe we'll see you around.

Jack
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #6

Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
SargeW,

Glad to hear that all is good so far. How about putting the link to your blog in your signature so we can follow the adventure with you.

Where are you heading to on the east coast?

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #8

That's a great idea Mike! We are currently in Northern Ohio, and will be making a sweep towards Georgia and South Carolina. From there we aren't sure yet. Depends how long we linger in South Carolina.

Sarge
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #9

I have a question that may be a little personal. My boyfriend is now on the road and has been for about a month and a half. We are trying to figure out where we want to move and he is looking at options. I am still at home working and trying to take care of a farm. It is not easy trying to move a whole farm. Needless to say, supporting two separate places is quickly draining our bank account. My question, if you choose to answer< is how do you make money while on the road. We are running out of time and funds. It would certainly help if he coud make some extra money while checking out the areas that we feel we wld like to live. Our worst fear is moving to someplace that we hate and that has no opportunities as where we currenty are. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #10

As for him working on the road and making money kind of depends on his skills. The best way to explore and work while you travel is "workcamping". That is to take jobs at campgrounds assisting the owners or in State or National parks as vollunteers. You usually get a free space, and sometimes a small salary as well. Then you can check out an area to see if you really like it and would consider it as a place to move.

Sarge

Tags
heartland