Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Being Thrown into FullTiming

Our dream timeline has been to full time it in 4 to 5 years, so in preparation we decided to put our primary home with a lot of unused space and a high maintenance yard on the market in April after we returned from our trip to Utah, Arizona and California. Well, our realtor found a couple who wanted to see it before we got officially on the market and they made us an offer we can't refuse. So good news sold, but part of the deal is we're out at end of March which gives us 2 weeks once we get home. We want to build a smaller home with little to no yard maintenance so will be living in our motor home for approximately 6 months. I will be heading into my office during the week while my DH usually works remotely. We are planning a couple of nice journeys this summer and we have a cabin we escape to pretty much each weekend so that gets us out of the coach, but I am looking for any suggestions about how you handle living in a motor home without the benefit of travelling?

WVduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Same way you do when you are traveling, but the fuel cost is lower.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Congratulations on your home sale! That doesn't happen often that fast.

Since you'll only be living in the RV for 6 months or so and you're approaching nice weather to do it, you shouldn't have any problems adjusting to it. Instead of snowbirding like many do, think of it as summerbirding. You can do everything that you did while living in a house. You'll just have a smaller house to clean! Best of luck. Idaho is a great place to be 'stuck' for 6 months.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

We were the opposite of you. We moved from a small 850 sf house on a small lot to a large home on 10 acres! In 2007 my wife and I designed our new home exactly the way we wanted our dream home to be. We contracted to build our current house and put our old house on the market fully expecting it would take a while. The very first person to look at it bought it for the asking price, but we had to get out in 3 weeks. So I bought a large 12 x 24 foot storage barn, had it set up on the new property, moved everything into the barn and we lived in the motorhome for the 9 months it took to build the house. The contractor ran a electric line to us, water and even dug a pit for a temporary sewage tank. It was great! We watched the house going up, and we even provided security while the contractor was working. I saved more by buying the storage barn than it would have cost to rent a storage site.

Problems living in the coach were minor. Interior humidity during the winter, and mud from all the construction equipment. When they were drilling for the 7 geothermal wells the drillings washed down the small hill and settled exactly under our steps! That was a minor mess. Oh the mice were a problem too. Since the property used to be a feeding area for cattle, mice were everywhere. With the house under construction the mice looked for some place to hide. Our coach apparently was the place.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote