RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Bank of America 5.25 with qualifying deposits.
Chase 5% but the categories change quarterly and it’s not always fuel.
Citi 2% all the time on everything.
Capital One no foreign transaction fees; great for out of the country.

None of these have cut us off for travel, and no, we don’t inform them of our plans.

And TSD. In our experience, you’re more likely to find a car or motorcycle parking at the pumps than a trucker.

Shell fuel rewards is good for additional discounts, and you can tie in discounts from spending on groceries and restaurants. We also take up regional store offers such as Fred Meyer, Publix, etc.
Thats what happened on my American Express card so I cancelled it. My Bank of America rewards Master Card has worked very well for me. The credit limit though hasn't gone up though since it was issued to me a year ago.

I have a Wells Fargo Visa too but it's only 2% on everything. They are pretty liberal with their limits too. Started off at 10k limit and am now 25k over the past three years. I didn't even apply for a higher limit. They did this on their own. Wells Fargo gave me $200 for spending $500 in the first three months, which is amazing, and easily obtainable (some cards out there make you spend like 5k in 3 months to get their bonus which is more than I spend in three months, so I wouldn't hit that limit.) I used my bonus to pay for part of my AR15.

Bank of America Master Card gave me a 7k limit right out of the gate (remains 7k after a year of having the card). I haven't asked for a limit increase because I only use it on Amazon and gas and pay it off every month. They gave me $250 for spending $700 in my first three months, so I used that bonus to buy a new desktop computer for gaming. Computer cost me about $1100 but it was nice to get 22% off because of that bonus!

Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #16

A trick I picked up recently was to have your credit card company code you as a Over-the-road truck driver. The risk that the responsible party on credit cards will take is variable from institution to institution. The bank I used to work for had a spate of credit card fraud and we tightened the criteria for accepting the card. I know it wouldn't have made me happy but it wasn't my decision. I left Citibank a number of years ago because I purchased something every month on or around the first of the month for either $250 or $500. They said it didn't fit my spending pattern. Since that was the only thing I ever used that card for it was my spending pattern. Go figure. Anyway, it cost them a customer. I'd do the same thing to any card that gave me too much grief. Remember there is nothing in the world that they can do to make you use their card, and that's how they make money.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
I almost always go inside because we had two cards ‘scammed’ by pump scanners at truck stops last spring. Plus a lot of truck stops now take ApplePay at the registers, using that means a one-time number is generated for the transaction. Just a little safer.

We carry BOA (always 3% for fuel) and Chase and Discover. Discover was 5% In the spring as we went north, now Chase is 5% as we are driving south. Plus 8 cents off at Pilot/Flying J.
With many of the larger chains (like Pilot and Loves) you can start the pump from their app without having to swipe a card at the pump. You just have to load your payment card into the wallet on the app. No chance of a scam swipe that way, plus it's easier.

There are different programs out there for gasoline and diesel, and the TSD deal with the EFS card is the best I've seen yet on diesel fuel.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I will definitely apply for TSD and I thank you for that information but the necessity of going to the truck pumps will take the shine of of it quickly. I have been stuck at those pumps in the past while the driver does his/her laundry ect. or the bus lets everyone off to eat at the restaurant. I can't back up to change lanes with the toad. Also I think some of these do not have pay at the pump so I would have to go inside twice and stand in line. It does not work at the car pumps and I spend much of my time in odd, out of the way places where regular car pumps are all their is.

What I am looking for is a cash back type fuel credit card offering that I can couple with other discounts like the "Good" Sam card if possible. I need one that the bank won't shut off every time I travel more than 50 miles away like Iberia and PenFed do. "What's in your wallet?"
One time in 10 years was I ever stuck at a truck pump, and it was about 15-20 minutes. Yes, I was furious, but then I remember I'm retired and 15-20 minuts is not going to be a cause to stop using the pumps.

The Banks DO NOT cut off your amount at the pumps, it is the business that sets the amount. You can call any of your CC companies and ask why the cut off the amount at fueling pumps and they will tell you, all otf them, that they do not limit the amount.

Everyone can talk about 5% back, 2% back, etc., and 6 to 8 cents using flying J, and that is alright if that is what they are looking for.

Here is a fact of the TSD Logistics. They have discounts for Loves, TA/Petro, PFJ, and other truck stops. The discounts vary with PFJ being the least with $0.05 a gallon discount. With the PFJ card it can by 6 to 8 cents. With TA/Petro and especially Loves it i considerably more.

On my last fill up and the first time I used the TSD (EFS) card I stopped at Loves. I swiped the card and pushed all the right buttons, filled up and the pump showed $97. TSD uses the banking ACH direct withdrawal and typically it is the next day.

My total bill was $16 less than the $97. It comes out to about $0.40 a gallon savings. Sure beats 5% back on a CC.

So what's your choice? Continue to use the front of the truck stop for 3 to 5 cents a gallon. Or, is 15-20 minutes wait time worth $16 or $0.40 cents a gallon in savings?

p.s., you dont' have to go inside. EFS Card app will have your receipt.

Here is the link to the Fuel Discount discussion.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I use PennFed CU Visa, 5% of all fuel, posted to statement.
That is the one that I am replacing. Don't they cut you off for traveling? They do it to us even if we call them first.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely looking into TSD. Already using a PenFed5% gas card plus the good Sam card for a 5%+8% at PFJ (love those RV lanes) and the 5% PenFed gas everywhere else. I just need a replacement for that PenFed card because they always cut me off for traveling. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That is the one that I am replacing. Don't they cut you off for traveling? They do it to us even if we call them first.
Quote:
Definitely looking into TSD. Already using a PenFed5% gas card plus the good Sam card for a 5%+8% at PFJ (love those RV lanes) and the 5% PenFed gas everywhere else. I just need a replacement for that PenFed card because they always cut me off for traveling. Thanks for the suggestions.

It is not the credit card company that is cutting you off, it is the retailer. I was as upset as you for the cut-off and I called my CC Company and they assured me that they did not limit any purchases until your MAX amount. So if you have a MAX amount of $5000 that is what you could charge at the pump IF the retailer would let you.

After finding our I asked a local retailer why they set $$ limit. It is because of the drive-offs. People will fill up and the not pay and drive off. It is there way of prevention loss.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It is not the credit card company that is cutting you off, it is the retailer. I was as upset as you for the cut-off and I called my CC Company and they assured me that they did not limit any purchases until your MAX amount. So if you have a MAX amount of $5000 that is what you could charge at the pump IF the retailer would let you.

After finding our I asked a local retailer why they set $$ limit. It is because of the drive-offs. People will fill up and the not pay and drive off. It is there way of prevention loss.

I’ve been told the same regarding $$ cutoffs regarding drive offs. But that seems crazy to me......the pump won’t operate until I insert my credit card, and verify my zip code. How am I going to get fuel and drive off? You have my credit card....dahhhh.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Costco gives 4% cash back on the first $7,000 per year of fuel using their credit card.

Costco May be IMHO the best
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

A- This is not the problem that I am having. Our company and some others will shut the card off for all purchases if it is used out of the regular area. This protects the bank at the expense of the customer.

B- You are referring to the maximum amount that can be used at one fuel purchase thus making us have to re-enter our cards several times to fill a tank. That is set by the retailer or their "group". Certain station, such as 7-11 and Hess set it very low so we don't even try to make our 100gallon purchase there while others like PFJ let us fill so we like to go there.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/gas Good info here but it doesn't tell me if they will shut me off for traveling. If I call they will doubtless lie.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

Costco May be IMHO the best
Except not all Costcos have diesels and not all of their stations would be easy to get a larger MH into, especially when towing a car behind!
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Except not all Costcos have diesels and not all of their stations would be easy to get a larger MH into, especially when towing a car behind!
List of Costco stations with diesel
https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html
Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Use it all over the country with no problem. Just as long as you pay at the pump.
I don't think PenFed is offering the 5% back fuel card anymore. We are grandfather in.
Iv ONLY used it for fuel for last 3 yrs.. They don't seem to mind.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel