Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best Fuel discount credit cards?

We are going full time in January. We are currently fed up with our 2 cards that give a discount. They both cut us off every time we travel whether we notify them or not, then spend a half hour wanting information that we would not be expected to have while on the road.

What cards do you use that give a fuel discount and don't cut you off? We figure that we'd better get two of them now while one of us is still employed!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Assuming you have a diesel. Have seen the threads about TSD Logistics, no limit and discounted fuel prices
Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #3

Costco gives 4% cash back on the first $7,000 per year of fuel using their credit card.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Assuming you have a diesel. Have seen the threads about TSD Logistics, no limit and discounted fuel prices
No. I will search on it now.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

Walmart Visa is 3% rebate on bill.
Flying J gives 6˘/gal discount to Good Sam lifetime members with flying J card.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

here's our setup:
speedco membership card gets a discount of $.10/gal off pump price.
good sam credit card gets 3% in points for fuel purchases which you can redeem for an american express gift card.
arizona gives a $.08/gal diesel tax rebate if you are non commercial and pump diesel at a commercial pump.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will definitely apply for TSD and I thank you for that information but the necessity of going to the truck pumps will take the shine of of it quickly. I have been stuck at those pumps in the past while the driver does his/her laundry ect. or the bus lets everyone off to eat at the restaurant. I can't back up to change lanes with the toad. Also I think some of these do not have pay at the pump so I would have to go inside twice and stand in line. It does not work at the car pumps and I spend much of my time in odd, out of the way places where regular car pumps are all their is.

What I am looking for is a cash back type fuel credit card offering that I can couple with other discounts like the "Good" Sam card if possible. I need one that the bank won't shut off every time I travel more than 50 miles away like Iberia and PenFed do. "What's in your wallet?"
Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GasBuddy has a membership plan and payment card that pays for itself with $.20 off/gallon for the first 40 gallons and $.05 off/gallon after that, with other ways to earn free gas like shopping at WalMart. There is a $75/day limit for the discount though.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

I have a Bank of America card where you get reward points/cash back, and you can set your 5%/4%/3%. For me right now I get 4% cash back on gas, 5% on Amazon.com and 3% on certain grocery stores I use.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

Bank of America 5.25 with qualifying deposits.
Chase 5% but the categories change quarterly and it’s not always fuel.
Citi 2% all the time on everything.
Capital One no foreign transaction fees; great for out of the country.

None of these have cut us off for travel, and no, we don’t inform them of our plans.

And TSD. In our experience, you’re more likely to find a car or motorcycle parking at the pumps than a trucker.

Shell fuel rewards is good for additional discounts, and you can tie in discounts from spending on groceries and restaurants. We also take up regional store offers such as Fred Meyer, Publix, etc.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #11

I use Costco, as I refuel quite often, and its 4%, I honestly say, I feel
Tom Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #12

I use PennFed CU Visa, 5% of all fuel, posted to statement.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I will definitely apply for TSD and I thank you for that information but the necessity of going to the truck pumps will take the shine of of it quickly. I have been stuck at those pumps in the past while the driver does his/her laundry ect. or the bus lets everyone off to eat at the restaurant. I can't back up to change lanes with the toad. Also I think some of these do not have pay at the pump so I would have to go inside twice and stand in line. It does not work at the car pumps and I spend much of my time in odd, out of the way places where regular car pumps are all their is.

What I am looking for is a cash back type fuel credit card offering that I can couple with other discounts like the "Good" Sam card if possible. I need one that the bank won't shut off every time I travel more than 50 miles away like Iberia and PenFed do. "What's in your wallet?"

I almost always go inside because we had two cards ‘scammed’ by pump scanners at truck stops last spring. Plus a lot of truck stops now take ApplePay at the registers, using that means a one-time number is generated for the transaction. Just a little safer.

We carry BOA (always 3% for fuel) and Chase and Discover. Discover was 5% In the spring as we went north, now Chase is 5% as we are driving south. Plus 8 cents off at Pilot/Flying J.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I use PennFed CU Visa, 5% of all fuel, posted to statement.
Works great.....but only if you can pay at the pump
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel