Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Best type of electric heater

We are already preparing for winter living in our 5er. My question is, which type/brand/size (ceramic/infrared/etc) is the best for augmenting our furnace during the cold months? We have a 36' Cameo and will be using the heaters in the cabin as well as the basements.
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In the basement tank compartments, a couple of incandescent lightbulbs should keep it above freezing, assuming your spaces are insulated and heated by the furnace. 1200 -1500 watt ceramic heaters do well, just be sure your wiring will handle the draw. The heaters should have tilt and overheat sensors.
If you have children or pets, you might want to switch to oil radiator heaters instead. Biggest issue in an RV in winter is condensation. Water damage is a real possibility.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmsgt7594 View Post
We are already preparing for winter living in our 5er. My question is, which type/brand/size (ceramic/infrared/etc) is the best for augmenting our furnace during the cold months? We have a 36' Cameo and will be using the heaters in the cabin as well as the basements.
How cold will it get ? In Canada per example we a a few campgrounds that are opened 4 seasons to provide services for fulltimer, but they are specially setup to provide all 3 services in weather way below 0 deg, Will you be using this type of campground, if this is the case then will only have to take care of the inside part of you RV.
Mike
Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

I prefer the oil filled radiator style heaters, less fire risk IMHO. I usually run a small fan as well to keep the air circulating throughout the coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, watts is watts and one is good as another and there is no need to spend big bucks.

However, I had a cheapie heater with a fan that I placed between the front seats and had it blow down the center isle. It worked quite well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I recall, you're going to be in Montana, correct? So you'll have real winter to deal with.

We have a pair of these Sunbeam SCH4051 ceramic heaters. Small, about 7Wx7Hx6D. They do a great job in supplementary use! Sometimes it feels like they could carry the whole load in moderate weather. About $18 bucks apiece at Walmart a couple of years ago, maybe more now? Four mode (1KW, 1.5KW, Fan only, Off), thermostat control.

I'll start with the caveat that we try to avoid really cold weather. We're no strangers to it (Boston), we just don't want to mess with it anymore. The coldest we've dealt with in the MH has been about 15*. We keep an eye on temps, and use the roof heat pumps down to about 35-37 degrees. If we anticipate possible freezing or below we'll switch to propane furnace. In either case, the little Sunbeams do a great job filling the gap and keeping a bit of circulation going. We also have a really small 200W plug-in called "MyHeat" by Lasko, that stays full time in the bathroom. Since that door tends to stay closed, it doesn't get much heat from the main heaters. With the MyHeat you could bake bread in there!

One caution:..... remember your basement areas! Lots of folks run supplementary electric to save on propane, but if your basements are heated by the furnace you may just be shooting yourself in the foot. You have to burn enough propane to throw adequate heat to the basement, or you'll have to add supplementary there, too. Also, be sure your supplementary electrics aren't blasting right at the wall mounted thermostat. I think you can figure that one out.

Good Luck!
Attached Images

2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Glad you didn't get discouraged by the poster on your original thread who kept insisting you couldn't do what you are planning to do. You can! Its in the planning, which you obviously understand. Good luck.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

Excellent advice everyone! I truly appreciate the info and encouragement. Yes, we are moving to Montana next year. I always enjoy proving people wrong when they say I can't do something. Life's an adventure and we embrace every second of it! I do have basement heat but will be running a small ceramic down there as well. We will have 2 ceramics in the main cabin (1 in the bedroom / 1 in the living area)...being careful not to overheat the place so the furnace still runs a few times each day. I had thought of the oil filled until reading some reviews about the lack of heat dispersion and amount of time needed to heat a larger space. I believe a ceramic with a fan would work best. We have a small dog that's not known to "horse around" much, however the possibility of an accidental bump into the heater worries me. Are the safety shut-offs for tipping and overheating legit?
Thanks again all!
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
We have a small dog that's not known to "horse around" much, however the possibility of an accidental bump into the heater worries me. Are the safety shut-offs for tipping and overheating legit?
Thanks again all!
Yes, they work. Turn on the heater, then tip it over. It should shut down. Different test, Cover with aluminum foil and it should shut down quickly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater