RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Biggest full time challenge
Finding a place to park 56 31.11%
Internet connectivity 61 33.89%
Laundry 14 7.78%
Adverse weather 25 13.89%
Black water tanks 17 9.44%
Storage space 32 17.78%
RV maintenance 60 33.33%
Cramped quarters 18 10.00%
Privacy 10 5.56%
One bathroom 12 6.67%
Cost 30 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #15

A decent size bathroom is a must for me with plenty of headroom. Also, my wife spends a lot of time in the bathroom so I will have to adapt.

Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:58 AM   #16

"Other" would be income on the road.

A lot of people are challenged by making an income while full timing.

markandkim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
For my DW, she would say missing family and friends is the biggest challenge.

I would say itís a tie between finding a nice park and dealing with things in the coach not working.
pduggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #18

There are not enough choices because for me the biggest two full time issues are related, money and the cost of health insurance. If it wasn't for that i would be all over it.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #19

Does anyone know how to add voting options? I see missing family and health care as issues posted.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Does anyone know how to add voting options? I see missing family and health care as issues posted.

We have no problem voting absentee when we are traveling. What does TX do? Do they make it tough or easy to vote by mail when traveling?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
We have no problem voting absentee when we are traveling. What does TX do? Do they make it tough or easy to vote by mail when traveling?

I think you misunderstood my post. I meant editing the voting options on this forum. However, I vote absentee in Florida but serve in the military in Hawaii.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 AM   #22

Foretravel Owners Club
1st.. View the "tag" lines at the bottom of the responding posters..To give you an Idea of where they are coming from and the equipment they have.

Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach (including the bath/shower) seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting......

We will "officially" be Full Timers Hopefully Aug of this year..
As mentioned about changing from your former mindset and habits..
..I'm a retired trucker and am having a hell of a time trying to break the "Gotta get there early to meet the crane appointments" mind set..

The bathroom issue was taken care of when We bought our MotorCoach....after way way too many serious issues with the Thor/Four Winds Infinity 34-H.

We have a LARGE & OPEN walk thru bath now,no need to have a 2nd bath
200 gal fuel tank
112gal fresh water
115 gal gray
56 gal black
FULL Air Ride & air only leveling
single LR slide
Washer & dryer

12k genset with auto start/stop

For us..."It Will Do"
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #23

Wishing you well on your retirement and your journey. I have 3 more years until I retire from USMC. Been working on convincing the wife to do one year on the road after that.

Hope you share your adventure with the forum.
Rowdy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #24
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
Our biggest challenge is the 1 bathroom. LOL I guess we have grown into the same....um.....schedule. And get a bigger bathroom than you think you'll need. That is our one biggest regret.
Regret indeed.

When looking at our MH to buy, one of the biggest "oh yeah" moments was seeing the 1 1/2 baths. Man do we love that feature. We each have our own space for our stuff, freshen up or whatever, plus we both can take back to back showers in the back bathroom and then have our own area to get dressed and finish up. Plus, when we have guests, they can use the front 1/2 bath. So many +'s. They are no downsides in our view.

Now...I can't imagine us using just one bathroom.

Quote:
A decent size bathroom is a must for me with plenty of headroom
I'm 6' 3" and have no problem in ours.

Quote:
Also, my wife spends a lot of time in the bathroom so I will have to adapt.
Exactly my point above. If you can find a model with 1 1/2 baths, trust me, both of your lives will be Sooooo much happier.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181, "we speak fluent sarcasm"
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy2010 View Post
Wishing you well on your retirement and your journey. I have 3 more years until I retire from USMC. Been working on convincing the wife to do one year on the road after that.

Hope you share your adventure with the forum.
I was informed that the government will keep your household goods in storage for up to one year if you retire. That is one reason I can justify my plans. That way I don’t rush my decision on where to settle down either.

Thank you all for the information so far. It is very helpful.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #26

Although the shipping company will keep your household goods in storage for up to a year, that may not be the best idea if you have any furniture you would like to keep. The shipping companies have left many service members hhg sitting outside during the rainy season. I have had two of my soldiers stuck waiting for reimbursement because they had long courses before reporting to the next duty station. Shippers left it sitting at port in Anchorage and another in Germany. Look in to storing it climate control yourself for the year then having it moved. You have a year to move hhg, if my memory serves me correct.

Find the floor plan that suites you best, both of you. Everybody talks about getting to the fridge while traveling. It takes me 30. seconds to open our slide to get to the fridge. When we stop for lunch my SO uses the bathroom, I open the slide, then I use the bathroom while she fixes lunch. I would hate to lose our floor plan because 1% of the travel time I can't get a cold drink.
ktn1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #27

Like noted above, for every challenge there is a solution. The main thing is that a couple needs to be flexible to make RV (or any) living arrangement work.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #28

Biggest challenge to full time RV living

Quote:
Hi all,

I am preparing for about 6-9 months of full time rv living and could use some experienced feedback so I know what Iím getting into. If you are so inclined, please answer the attached poll as to what you consider the biggest challenge to full timers and let me know if I left something out. Thanks!

Feel free to vote for multiple choices.

I donít see a pole here to take but Iíll give my input. My family and I have been living in our fifth wheel for almost a year now and plan to do so for another 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 yrs. or so while living in San Diego. The biggest challenge I have found is when you have to take your rig in for repairs. We had an incident (I wonít go in to the details) that displaced us for six weeks from our RV while it was in the shop. Mind you, it could have taken significantly longer but fortunately we found grace with the shop manager who prioritized us. So now my family of four who just arrived in San Diego were forced to stay with a relative for 3 weeks in not so ideal circumstances. Then once I realized I had emergency expenses coverage with my RV insurance I moved us to a hotel for 3 weeks. So the best advice I can give you is to prepare for this if youíre going to full time. When I opened my insurance policy with Progressive I didnít even know I had this coverage. Even better, when I was issued a new policy for transferring to California I was sure to ask about this coverage and come to find out they have a $7,500 emergency expenses covering for full timers that I now have. However, I hope I never have to use it. Just make sure you have it because if something goes wrong, staying in a hotel adds up quick, especially in places like San Diego where we live. The one other thing I would say is the quality of a lot of parks that allow for full timers is nowhere I want to be with my family. Fortunately, Iím active duty and there are a couple parks down here only for Military but I have to move every 30 days which I choose to do over staying at the others. Iíll add one other thing, what they charge down here in San Diego at these RV parks is outrageous! My monthly rent is a min. of $1,200 and upwards of $1,350 depending on the site Iím in. When I was in Washington, just north of Seattle I was paying around $360 and it is nearly as expensive up there as it is here. They charge what they do because they know they can. Itís greed if you ask me. Anyway, hope that helps.

Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time