Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Biggest full time challenge
Finding a place to park 56 28.57%
Internet connectivity 68 34.69%
Laundry 15 7.65%
Adverse weather 28 14.29%
Black water tanks 17 8.67%
Storage space 33 16.84%
RV maintenance 62 31.63%
Cramped quarters 19 9.69%
Privacy 10 5.10%
One bathroom 12 6.12%
Cost 35 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #43

I use my cellphone for internet - total bill with Verizon $105 a month. 15GB high speed. Biggest tip - when you are driving long distances break the trip up by staying overnight in truck stops. 95% of the time they are free - you don't have to buy fuel. Most OTR truckers are armed to the teeth and no one messes with people in truck stops - can NOT say that for Walmarts etc ... most of which will let you park but there is zero security - only place I ever had to carry my gun forward to see who was messing with my front door (drug addict). Thankfully he saw me, pulled his hand from the screen he broke trying to get to my door handle, and ran. Rest areas are great for a few hours - I've never been rousted from one but they are clearly marked "no overnight camping." I'm planning a long trip starting in April and trying to find BLM and other free sites that have access for a 40' Class A - many do NOT. Mail can be an issue - I pay someone at my condo to go through mine and email me photos of anything that looks like it needs immediate attention. Get familiar with your rig so you don't have to call for help every time something goes wrong. Be patient parking - get out and check as often as necessary - having a travel partner with their own cell phone gives you a great advantage in backing into tight spaces. Have fun - relax - don't worry so much. Peter
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #44

Biggest Challenges for full times,

We have found 3 main challenges to trips of 3 months or longer. #1 mail forwarding. #2 doctors appointments. #3 prescription drugs. Other than that things work out pretty easily.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #45

Planning is one big thing. Pick out your stops and make reservations.Its a pain getting into an area late and trying to get a spot. Don't push it and try to make more miles a day. Cost is a factor depending on your rig. The bugger it is the more the cost. There are plenty of parks to stay like state and county however they may or may not have full hookups, internet and laundry.
bdarenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31NDone View Post
We have found 3 main challenges to trips of 3 months or longer. #1 mail forwarding. #2 doctors appointments. #3 prescription drugs. Other than that things work out pretty easily.

Prescription drugs are easy. We just call our doctor, tell him we are out of town and we will give him the phone# of our nearest Walmart Pharmacy. Usually our prescriptions are good for 3 refills, so next month we go the new nearest Walmart and ask them to transfer the prescription from the last Walmart we used. We can do the transfers by phone and Walmart will hold them for 7 days giving us time to pick them up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good for you! And thank you for serving! One to add to your poll....hook ups. Water, sewage, and power.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #48

As a retiree, you can stay at base campgrounds. Most are pretty nice.
https://militarycampgrounds.us/
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #49

Thank you for your service and Congratulations on your retirement. The change in life style will be a big challenge as some have said about slowing down. You worked long and hard for long, so take the time to enjoy life, you will appreciate it.

Someone mentioned using:

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
for Base campgrounds. You can also use a free app UC Military Campgrounds. Mine works on Android and I believe there is an iPhone Version. Be sure to check these sites as they also list military campgrounds that are off base or on National Guard or Reserve facilities.
You already know the benefits of Base access, especially lower gas prices. Even though in our area Pilot/Flying J are usually even cheaper than AAFES.
baluncru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #50

We travel in our motorhome 5-6 months a year and for those months consider ourselves fulltime. However, we have not had to get rid of our "stuff" which I believe could be a big issue. For me, the biggest issue is not having room for some of my hobbies while we travel. I play the piano, quilt, and garden. I tried a keyboard, but it just wasn't the same. I do bring my sewing machine with me, and do quite a bit of sewing, but find that I don't sew as often because it is such an effort to get everything set up and then have to put it all away again. Gardening, is just not an option while traveling. However, I do enjoy our travels and visiting family and friends all over the USA. I hope you will enjoy your travels. Nothing is perfect.
BJP23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #51

We are on our 6th year now. No problem with any of the pole items, although I always feared having a vehicle breakdown of some sort or another. And it was a fairly new MH when we bought it. Repairs on a motorhome can not only be expensive.. you have to find someplace to live during the repair. Not sure I feel comfortable leaving all our personal stuff in the repair bay either! This kind of challenge could easily break us. So... we decided to remove some of this potential threat by going back to our roots of a travel trailer. It's simple, repairs can be managed where and when you want, no engine maintenance, large insurance payments, or registration nonsense.
JJtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #52

We also started full timing 6+ years ago in a fifth wheel with plans to eventually upgrade into a MH. Recently, we upgraded the truck and plan to forget the MH upgrade plan for the same reasons listed in the above post.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #53

If you have data on your cell phone you can use that hotspot as your WiFi and have internet anywhere you have cell service.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #54

Hi! I have been solo, senior, female, fulltime for 1 yr come May. It has been amazing but hard at times. Money is an issue. (Have a $1,000 emergency fund). Something is always breaking. Have a good tool box and be sure and get RV tools... i.e. normal screwdrivers won't work. I have a Class C so Roadside Assistance is a must. You can't change a tire in 6 ton vehicle. Lol
The good.... I do what I want when I want. Don't like the scenery, start your engine. Same with weather and drama. I have been boondocking to this point. Spent a hard winter in Kentucky. Oddly, headed to Texas next week. I know I have the "follow 75 degrees" wrong but I was needed in KY. Research, research, research! Everything that you plan to do. Most importantly, Seek God with all of your heart. Have fun! Be kind!
Homexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Hi all,

I am preparing for about 6-9 months of full time rv living and could use some experienced feedback so I know what I’m getting into. If you are so inclined, please answer the attached poll as to what you consider the biggest challenge to full timers and let me know if I left something out. Thanks!

Feel free to vote for multiple choices.
I don't see anything attached.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Keeping your health

Sitting for hours on end
Eating out
Not enough walking
mandopay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time