RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Biggest full time challenge
Finding a place to park 56 28.72%
Internet connectivity 68 34.87%
Laundry 15 7.69%
Adverse weather 28 14.36%
Black water tanks 17 8.72%
Storage space 33 16.92%
RV maintenance 62 31.79%
Cramped quarters 18 9.23%
Privacy 10 5.13%
One bathroom 12 6.15%
Cost 35 17.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Biggest challenge to full time RV living

Hi all,

I am preparing for about 6-9 months of full time rv living and could use some experienced feedback so I know what I’m getting into. If you are so inclined, please answer the attached poll as to what you consider the biggest challenge to full timers and let me know if I left something out. Thanks!

Feel free to vote for multiple choices.

Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
While traveling full time we have used library's for free internet service if our CG doesn't provide it for free. Most towns have a library. For more secure business needs, we use our cell phones.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

There is no "other" category.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Biggest challenged to FTng.........

Getting rid of the STUFF
Getting DEBT Free

After that it is absolutely the greatest.......forget about 'vacation' and embrace the new LIFESTYLE

Have an 'EXIT PLAN' cause 6-9 months will go QUICKLY
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Hi all,

I am preparing for about 6-9 months of full time rv living and could use some experienced feedback so I know what Iím getting into. If you are so inclined, please answer the attached poll as to what you consider the biggest challenge to full timers and let me know if I left something out. Thanks!

Feel free to vote for multiple choices.

You don't say if you will be in one spot or traveling around. If traveling, how often do you plan on moving? Will you have all your worldly possessions with you or will you have a home base to store things?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

I will be traveling most of the 6-9 months, maybe stop for a week or 2 at a time. Hard to say because I might change my mind after driving a lot or if I find a place that I like. My exit strategy is to figure out where I want to settle down. I’m retiring from the military so the government will keep my stuff in storage for up to a year. I just don’t want to jump back into working without taking some time to explore and decide what I want to do next.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
There is no "other" category.
What is the ďotherĒ?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #8

Honestly, nothing that you have listed was a 'challenge'. It's all very doable. I had to laugh at the 'one bathroom' item. Why have more? We were never in each other's way. We had no issues when full-timing. Hope you don't either!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By far the hardest part is finding RV parks in high seasonal and/or weekend areas. Price, availability, and quality. Call/reserve months in advance. 4-500000 new RV every year.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
You really won't experience fulltime RVing in an 6-8 month time frame - you'll still be in vacation mode. That's ok, but it takes at least 3 years to begin to realize that you are REALLY a full timer.

We fulltimed for 9 years and now half-time. And it takes us about 1 month of our 6 months on the road, to get back into the rhythm of fulltiming.

Biggest challenge - having enough money to be comfortable. Same with everyone else in the country.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #11

Where to camp/park during holidays. We like remote spots which helps, but it can still be difficult to find. We prefer the BLM lands out west which are free...but they are farther out from civilization. When in the Midwest seeing family it usually is a state park or county park and they can be busy...always plan ahead. Getting mail is difficult at times, too. Sadly we picked a mail service, that is I believe a franchise, and they canít seem to get our mail forwarded correctly or at all to us. We are changing services in the spring to a better operation.
katydid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

The hardest part will be detaching yourself from the military lifestyle enough to slow down and enjoy. I don't think I could have full timed properly after 23 years, Army. I full time now, stop and enjoy the sunsets, do not travel as far and fast, there is no priority on taskings, I can take days if not weeks off, it can be a little disconcerting for the newly retired military.

Best of luck. We full time with the majority of our stops Boondocking and off grid. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #13

You'll hear a lot about difficulty finding parks to stay. Keep in mind.... there ARE options. Do you really need full hookups? Do you need to be close to busy areas? Do you need amenities? On the weekends, especially 3-day ones, do you really need that pool? On those holiday weekends we stay in a small-town park or boondock on public lands. When the weekenders leave on Monday then we move into areas with lakes or rivers. We let them have their fun on the weekends. We're quite happy without hookups so finding spots to stay was never an issue.

We rarely made reservations. We'd move on Monday - Wednesday and then stay put for the weekend. Never try to move on a Friday or weekend.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #14

Our biggest challenge is the 1 bathroom. LOL I guess we have grown into the same....um.....schedule. And get a bigger bathroom than you think you'll need. That is our one biggest regret. This is our very first RV purchase and we thought "why waste so much space on a bathroom when you're not in there very long." So we bought a unit that has a very small, and I do mean very small bathroom. Barely enough space to stand up and turn around. It does have a shower, but still....the space outside the shower is very small. We live and learn!!! LOL

Tags
full time