Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #29

I ran out of Happy Camper and simply haven't bought more because it didn't seem to be working...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I have tried instead....so far no better than anything else. Smell is still horrible
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
I ran out of Happy Camper and simply haven't bought more because it didn't seem to be working...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I have tried instead....so far no better than anything else. Smell is still horrible
Did you try treating your grey tank yet. Do it thru the kitchen sink. Think about it you said "happy Camper" just quit working for no reason, you haven't done anything different. It has been my experience in over 40 years of RV'ing and boating that things like this don't just stop working. The grey tank if not treated occasionally or something you've put down the sink that got caught up on something, can cause odors just as bad as the black tank. I didn't believe it could be the grey tank either until I tried treating it and the odor went away within about 10 minutes the first time I ever did it. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #31

I do treat the gray tank with Happy Camper as well. Especially this time of year because its soooo hot.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #32

When I first got my 5er, it had a bad smell...looked and looked and cleaned the black tank, etc., etc. Finally narrowed down to the bath sink and found the air admittance valve to be bad. I then changed all the air admittance valves and no more odor.

My bet is that one of your air admittance valves is bad, and that it is the grey tank that is making the odor. They generally smell worse than the black tank.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #33

I can look under the sink. But I am seriously convinced its the black tank. When flushing it can't hardly stand the smell. Have to hold my breath.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dont run the fan went flushing the toilet, it can draw the smell right out of the blank tank. The first time I took my mother inlaw camping I forgot to tell her that
Old 06-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #35

Been RVing for over 15 years and don't use anything in my black water tank. Once I quit adding chemicals, the odor went away. I believe black water chemical is designed to give off an odor in hopes you will buy more.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #36

I dont have a fan running! But I can see what you would mean!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my first RV I had to climb on the roof and put a garden hose in the black tank odor pipe and rince it out with water. Something made a nest in the pipe and was not letting the odor out.

WARNING if you try this do not let your black tank over fill.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #38

Well I didn't know that was an option. I will have to get the ladder out when its not raining and see! Its right above the toilet right?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would think it would be above the black tank. Mine was a single combined gray/black tank. On my current RV the black pipe is closer to the rear of the motorhome. While your on the roof check and make sure the pipe has not fell down into the tank. It should be about level with the gray tank pipe.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #40

Sounds good. Tonight is tank empty night anyways so I will see what I can figure out
Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
I am considering getting a gallon of bleach and after I empty the black tank pour it in and fill with water and then let it sit for a few hours and see if that helps to clean out whatever has gotten built up etc. Any thoughts?
Do it. I nuke both black & gray tanks about twice a month with a couple of cups of bleach. It works.

Also . . .

- Your black & gray tanks are holding tanks, not septic fields. So destroying bacteria in your tanks is ok.

- But could you damage the RV campground's septic field (if it has one)? Sure, if you added enough bleach. Don't add too much bleach to your tanks -- a couple of cups will usually do.

- Finally, (this usually comes up with any bleach discussion) bleach won't harm the plumbing or "seals" in your RV . . . unless your RV was manufactured in the late 90's with PB (polybutylene) plumbing. If that's the case, then you're living on borrowed time anyway.

So, yeah, use bleach now to kill the odor and figure out what went wrong later when you're not gagging.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Do it. I nuke both black & gray tanks about twice a month with a couple of cups of bleach. It works.

Also . . .

- Your black & gray tanks are holding tanks, not septic fields. So destroying bacteria in your tanks is ok.

- But could you damage the RV campground's septic field (if it has one)? Sure, if you added enough bleach. Don't add too much bleach to your tanks -- a couple of cups will usually do.

- Finally, (this usually comes up with any bleach discussion) bleach won't harm the plumbing or "seals" in your RV . . . unless your RV was manufactured in the late 90's with PB (polybutylene) plumbing. If that's the case, then you're living on borrowed time anyway.

So, yeah, use bleach now to kill the odor and figure out what went wrong later when you're not gagging.

THANK YOU!!!!!! this was my thoughts as well. I didn't see how bleach would be horrible. thinking I will fill with more water and empty again and then add bleach and water and let sit for a while. I think some of the issue is the pipe going to the black tank is nasty so I am thinking that filling it right up and letting it sit can't hurt

Tags
black tank, tank