Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #29

Having built in a "suburban" town and owned property in the mountain "sticks" in the past, there are big variations to zoning regs all over this country. There are still places left that have very little zoning smothering. If you want to have a home base that still feels like vacation, you will probably wind up in areas that don't have big brother telling you every little thing you "can't" do. You can still be close to family and friends. But, not "too" close!
Just for giggles, I did a little search for propertys in areas I would enjoy settling into for a Winter retreat (home base). I found many bargains to be had that presented just the kind of serene scene you laid out, Wunder. Like a cabin(new) in upstate NY with 19 acres for $64K (asking). So, one has to broaden the herizons to find a dream!
After seeing what Isaac added, one has to admit that Texas is a whole nother world than the rest of the country! If one wanted to reverse the home base to warmer climates in the Winter....well.... there's a whole lotta room in Texas! And...from what I read, Texans do not smother you with unecessary regs! Hmmm, I wonder if that is why 1/2 of Californica is moving there?
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm doing this as well. After full-timing for a number of years (mostly boondocking), it was time to have my own "boondocking" spot. I'm also including an airstrip and hangar so it's a project and a half.

Completely agree about zoning/regs. Once around that, the sky is the limit! As others have said, nothing is particularly cheap. I'm way up on top of the continental divide and about as far from civilization as one can get these days. So, living on solar power works (continues to work). Drilling a well is very expensive but hauling water in and storing in a large tank isn't so bad. A septic system is far from cheap but if you can do most of the work yourself it isn't ridiculous. A fence around 80 acres is the most shocking cost - $15k for the cheapest option. Surprise!!

Very easy to drop $100k on such a project - far more if unable to do the work yourself. However; it does have and retain value. Maybe even increasing value!!! :-)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #31

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input on this older thread of mine. The main reason I'm attempting to rekindle this conversation is due to the fact that my wife and I have gone Full Time as of three months ago after both of us recently retired.

During our early travels it's become somewhat painfully clear that most of the accommodations we now see are not of the quality or comfort that we are seeking. Please don't interpret these words as implying that we have any greater than thou attitude, because we certainly do not. We just want something that is nice, quiet, clean, well kept, and provides us with a nice setting. As many of you know, you can register at many parks and find some nice set ups and right next door and scattered throughout are units that are in many different levels of disarray and decomposition. My wife and I really don't want these type of accommodations to become the setting for our new chosen lifestyle.

Please continue your input as I see that a good number of you apparently feel the same. Thanks again everyone

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #32

Peruse municode.com for zoning etc for the location you choose.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #33

I found a nice 1.25 acre parcel with paved road, electric service, well, and septic. The property is open with several nice trees and actual grass to be mowed. Sounds pretty nice deal for $10,000 since the utilities are right there. Looking to put in 2-4 concrete pads for friends and family with full hookups.

Would like to draw up some rough plans close to scale. Anyone know of a website i could do that with?

Jus' wondrin'.......

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #34

Our solution was to put a FHU site on our son's 5 acres behind the pole barn, near Lapeer, MI. We usually spend 6 weeks there during the summer to swap out items, do RV repairs, doctor/dentist appts, visit other family, and just recharge our mental batteries. This also gives us a place to retreat to near family if we ever need to and it doesn't cost us anything except any inheritance we don't use.

I had a couple of friends retire and move up North only to move back near a city because family and doctors were a long drive away. Living up North is much like full time RV'ing, it's a big adjustment/shock for most people.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I found a nice 1.25 acre parcel with paved road, electric service, well, and septic. The property is open with several nice trees and actual grass to be mowed. Sounds pretty nice deal for $10,000 since the utilities are right there. Looking to put in 2-4 concrete pads for friends and family with full hookups.

Would like to draw up some rough plans close to scale. Anyone know of a website i could do that with?

Jus' wondrin'.......
Google Sketchup is the program to do your layout. You can even take an image of the property from Google maps and overlay your designs. There's probably already a 3D model of your motorhome in the Sketchup warehouse.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #36

Have you talked to the health department and local government? They will be the one's granting permits. 1.25 acres sounds too small for the well and septic but I know soils vary so requirements vary.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post

Jus' wondrin'.......
Sure, called Google Satellite, and Printed on Graph Paper - Works Do it all the time.

Sometimes pull in the Local/State Tax Maps to get the boundary closer to correct.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #38
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Have you talked to the health department and local government? They will be the one's granting permits. 1.25 acres sounds too small for the well and septic but I know soils vary so requirements vary.
X2. I agree with nothermark on checking with the local government. The zoning and building departments should be helpful.

Around here (NE FL), the minimum acreage for well and septic is one (1) acre. But, the type of septic, and drain field, may depend on the particular lot in question. However, one must also check things like flood zones, wetlands, waterways, etc., etc.

Years ago, we had a lot in central NC where the drain field was uphill from the septic tank and required a pump to force the water into the field when the tank water rose to a certain level. A float valve at the tank automatically controlled the pump. Fortunately it was already installed when we bought the house. That would have been an additional expense ($$$) to install.

I hope it works out well for you.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #39

My inlaws had a house in south Louisiana with a well and septic tank on a .75 acre lot, though when they replaced the septic tank about 15 years ago they were required to install a new one with an aerator pump. Shortly afterward they switched to a newly available municipal water supply. Neighboring houses on each side on similar sized lots also had septic tanks and water wells.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #40

The size of the septic depends on how well the land drains (perc test) and how many bedrooms are planned. One of the problems is that one cannot usually do anything over the leach field. The leach field also has to be some distance from the well pump. Again, distance is partly a function of the soil and local regulations. That is why one needs to work with the local authorities.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #41

Permanent buildings can require septic permits. I might become educated here, but I would think a portable RV on a site would not require a septic permit and would be in the gray areas much like a hunting cabin outhouse over a pit. Just a thought!
Besides, the OP say's his potential property already has a septic and utilities installed, just hook into them.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #42

Requirements vary by locality. I know places where your hunting cabin requires a full septic system. The local authorities might overlook a week or two hunting but don't plan on spending the summer at the place without inspections and permits.

In his case he plans on openly inviting friends to spend more than a week of occupancy on a piece of land where anyone driving by can probably figure out that there are a couple of RV's parked. That will get attention.