RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Requirements vary by locality.
Exactly.

Not much point in debating what is required or stating what is required somewhere else.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #44

Opinions on this can go on forever - what I have found is that Often the easiest way to solve the problem of building/Permitting is to find a Knockdown/Existing but old - that you leave up.

Now you have a legal place to stay it Likely has Septic/Sewer and Water and Electric - this is much cheaper to work around or upgrade than to put in.

Now you can do additions - Pole Barns - RV Pads - Repairs and even Replacements........

It was legal when you bought it it will normally stay legal, these are often just right for the RV'er looking to find that "Spot".

We do it all the time when Building "New" Homes - permitting and Fees are so much easier and Cost Less.

Just a thought to inject into the Conversation,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Opinions on this can go on forever - what I have found is that Often the easiest way to solve the problem of building/Permitting is to find a Knockdown/Existing but old - that you leave up.

Now you have a legal place to stay it Likely has Septic/Sewer and Water and Electric - this is much cheaper to work around or upgrade than to put in.

Now you can do additions - Pole Barns - RV Pads - Repairs and even Replacements........

It was legal when you bought it it will normally stay legal, these are often just right for the RV'er looking to find that "Spot".

We do it all the time when Building "New" Homes - permitting and Fees are so much easier and Cost Less.

Just a thought to inject into the Conversation,

There is what I suspect is one of these a mile or so from my house in south Louisiana, an older house on a small lot in town, that often has a large newer Super-C in the driveway.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
There is what I suspect is one of these a mile or so from my house in south Louisiana, an older house on a small lot in town, that often has a large newer Super-C in the driveway.
I've stored My Coach for the last couple years on one - don't stay there just store it while I was building a couple houses - Will likely do it again when the last one sells and we buy a new lot.

Both the Lots had Houses on them and we just demoed them before we rebuilt - lot easier -

You can do this all over the country,

Just My Humble Opinion, -
Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #47

Lots of good info here. Found out that it makes more sense for ME to buy an old/older place with amenities already in place and upgrade or get them operational again.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Lots of good info here. Found out that it makes more sense for ME to buy an old/older place with amenities already in place and upgrade or get them operational again.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #49
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Sounds like a reasonable plan; possibly for us in the future as well.

One of the big concerns that I would have are existing water and sewer. If you don't have water available, that would be a show stopper for me. Be sure that the water is safe. Water can easily be tested.

If the existing sewer is septic, be sure it is operational and meets current local standards. In some areas, if the septic system fails a new system using current codes is required. That can be $$$$!!!

One of the houses we owned years ago, and were in the process of selling, had a possible issue with the drain field. It was not working. Waste water was not flowing through the field. Part of the house-selling process including a full inspection, including water and sewer systems. They all had to be 100% operational prior to a sale. Those were the local county rules, IIRC.

The sewer contractor informed us that he was required to report any repairs to the county. If the drain field was not operational, the county would require replacing the entire drain field with a new one using current codes. That was about $8-10K minimum (almost 20 years ago). Fortunately he found that a broken pipe feeding the system was causing a leak. (Evidently someone had run over the underground PVC pipe with some construction equipment years ago. The pipe finally broke. Or, maybe it was broken for years and no one noticed?) The waste water was leaking into the ground at the break instead of flowing into the entire drain field. A minor repair and we could keep the existing system.

BTW, the existing system worked fine (after the small repair).

OK. That's my cautionary tale about finding an existing site with utilities already installed.

Bottom line is that I think finding a site with existing utilities, and possibly a structure, can be a great opportunity. YMMV.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Sounds like a reasonable plan; possibly for us in the future as well.

One of the big concerns that I would have are existing water and sewer. If you don't have water available, that would be a show stopper for me. Be sure that the water is safe. Water can easily be tested.

If the existing sewer is septic, be sure it is operational and meets current local standards. In some areas, if the septic system fails a new system using current codes is required. That can be $$$$!!!

One of the houses we owned years ago, and were in the process of selling, had a possible issue with the drain field. It was not working. Waste water was not flowing through the field. Part of the house-selling process including a full inspection, including water and sewer systems. They all had to be 100% operational prior to a sale. Those were the local county rules, IIRC.

The sewer contractor informed us that he was required to report any repairs to the county. If the drain field was not operational, the county would require replacing the entire drain field with a new one using current codes. That was about $8-10K minimum (almost 20 years ago). Fortunately he found that a broken pipe feeding the system was causing a leak. (Evidently someone had run over the underground PVC pipe with some construction equipment years ago. The pipe finally broke. Or, maybe it was broken for years and no one noticed?) The waste water was leaking into the ground at the break instead of flowing into the entire drain field. A minor repair and we could keep the existing system.

BTW, the existing system worked fine (after the small repair).

OK. That's my cautionary tale about finding an existing site with utilities already installed.

Bottom line is that I think finding a site with existing utilities, and possibly a structure, can be a great opportunity. YMMV.
Thank you for the cautionary advice, I will take it to heart!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #51

You can also go the Hybrid route and get something in the middle like this
https://nmi.craigslist.org/reo/d/new...663543566.html
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #52

How about something like this $37,000 for a camp site (portable building) on a secondary lake in Louisiana https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-02161?view=qv

Or https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-38527?view=qv
$40,000 for a couple of acres with a not so bad mobile home on it in the country about 5 miles from town..