Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Buying an RV

Been reading a lot of threads and posts. Seems impossible to buy an RV without issues? Especially when considering the worst enemy is water. From faulty water tanks, valves to leaky roofs. Is it really that difficult to buy an RV without the major "water" issues ?
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
All I can say is, whatever you buy identify and tackle any problems right away.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

And that is no guarantee. We packed our new-to-us RV for a trip. That night, the ice maker line broke, and pumped the entire contents of the fresh water tank into the cabin.

We ripped out the carpet, shop vacc-ed the floor, replaced the line with copper tube, and left the next day!

There will always be something!

Matt B
Old 11-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also keep in mind that you will hear an exponential amount of the bad, but not much of the good things about anything in most cases. Of course people are posting about their problems, they're looking for advice or help. People that aren't having problems with their RVs (like me) aren't posting more than once or twice about how good everything is going for them, but people with problems are posting every little detail about everything that is wrong.

There was a post on here about how the drain plug in the bathroom sink had to be removed completely because it always sealed shut when water hits it. It seemed to be the only thing wrong with the brand new RV.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #5

Go older used to get higher quality in your budget range. Pay for experienced 3rd party inspection. This will give you a much better chance of having a solid unit.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
If you base all of your decisions on most forums without keeping their quirks in mind you’ll end up hiding in your house day and night and expecting the world to end any second. There is great technical advice on here and a lot of folks wanting to help solve problems. There are others looking to vent or share their biases so if asked for an opinion that’s what it’ll be. There are millions of rv’s out there doing just fine who aren’t complaining. As to your post, it’s great to know of possible water problems and watch for those possibilities but they’re by no means a given. Like nearly everything else they point out the value of preventive maintenance.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pick you favorite brand of automobile, one that you generally hear nothing but good about. For the sake of argument let's use Toyota.
Now go to a Toyota forum, it'll be mostly the complaints there about whatever is going wrong with their vehicle.
That's what forums are for, to go to when you need help. You don't need help if there's not something wrong.
Yes, water is one of the enemies of a motor home (and also of a stick home). Yes things often go wrong. Yes you can absolutely get an RV without water issues, BUT you need to carefully check before you buy.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

What aver you buy when using rig fill water tank at destination and run off tank with rigs water pump. Turn off pump when not used and that will prevent lots of water issues caused by using city water. Stay away from ant used rigs showing any water damage and you will save a lot on repairs.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
And that is no guarantee. We packed our new-to-us RV for a trip. That night, the ice maker line broke, and pumped the entire contents of the fresh water tank into the cabin.

We ripped out the carpet, shop vacc-ed the floor, replaced the line with copper tube, and left the next day!

There will always be something!

Matt B

One of the reasons we never leave the pump on, but turn it on to use and then off again.

Had a ice maker line let go in the middle of the night, water running into the basement. Shut off the water to the ice maker (which we’ve never did activate again), cleaned up the basement, and went on our way.

No different that when a basement is flooded in a S&B.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Pick you favorite brand of automobile, one that you generally hear nothing but good about. For the sake of argument let's use Toyota.
Now go to a Toyota forum, it'll be mostly the complaints there about whatever is going wrong with their vehicle.
That's what forums are for, to go to when you need help. You don't need help if there's not something wrong.
Yes, water is one of the enemies of a motor home (and also of a stick home). Yes things often go wrong. Yes you can absolutely get an RV without water issues, BUT you need to carefully check before you buy.
This is a good one!

You rarely see a post starting like ... My RV is perfect. On forums you read about the imperfect ones. Yes, there are some very good ones out there. We never had a water issue or any kind of repair issue.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #11

Roof, slide roof and floor. #1 any soft spots be suspiciois or walk. Walk the roof and every inch of floor can put a foot on. Most other things not a huge deal. Refriegerator make sure it switches gas to electric. Get basics squared away and the rest not bad.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
Been reading a lot of threads and posts. Seems impossible to buy an RV without issues? Especially when considering the worst enemy is water. From faulty water tanks, valves to leaky roofs. Is it really that difficult to buy an RV without the major "water" issues ?
My buddy got the "roof coating" right when he bought his back in 2012. It's like this elastic coat that does not leak. He ran water through the pipes for a while when he had the panels off. Everything looked good. He put extra seal on the connectors. He has not had a single water problem. He did have an issue with one of his batteries though. It fried at about 5 months old. Cost a bit to get another. He also had a stuck slide issue but it was just a one time catch issue I guess. It worked every other time so he might not have been totally even or what have you. He didn't know why it only caught up that one time. He does regular maintenance.

From what he's told me you need to run maintenance every month or so and test everything. It literally takes an hour.. So one hour a month to make sure everything is good!
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post

I have been full timing with my Wife and 2 kids for 18 months now in our 2018 Grand Design Fifth Wheel. I knew NOTHING about anything when I started and still have much, much more to learn. I agree with what one of the other people said on here, that there is always something you will be dealing with. Mine right now is the black and one of my gray tanks are not closing all the way. I have taken some preventive measures to prevent some of the water nightmares I have read about. For instance, I turn the water off at the spigot outside whenever I leave the camp. Also, at night I switch to the onboard tank, and then turn the water pump off before going to bed.

From my experience, no matter what you buy, you’re going to have problems. We purchased a Grand Design thinking the quality they are known for would prevent this but we haven’t been so fortunate. Just like being a homeowner though. There’s always something that goes wrong.
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #14

During my life I have owned several homes and I discovered it was impossible to buy a house without issues too. It's just the way life is.

Now with RV's it's a little different story because a lot of folks buy these things like they're toys or something. They use them to little, then neglect them, don't maintain them and then either seller them or let them rot somewhere.

But there are folks who take care of their RV and have taken the many steps to maintain them and update them to avert many of the common problems that can plague RV's. I'm that way. I'm always doing something to our rig. You have to stay on top of things. There is always something that needs tending to.

So my advise to you is just read, read, read this forum and other online resources. Develop a sense and understanding of what to look for, what to stay away from and so on and so forth. What does real maintenance look like? It's a whole lot more than oil changes and lube jobs. Then go out and look, look, look at rigs at dealers, shows, private sale lots and so forth.

There are deals to be made from a dealer but sometimes private owners selling their rigs—in many cases, not all—can give you a better selection of well cared for RV's. We bought ours from a dealer but we were lucky. It was just listed the day before we bought it. The previous owner traded it in and was upgrading to a DP. We'd been looking for months for a gas rig and pretty much new what we were looking for. We had seen a lot of junk over the months, but when ours became available we snatched it up on the spot. We had a deep thorough inspection and knew exactly what we were buying.

It didn't have any water damage, but yes it needed some work but I didn't care. The rig over all was in great shape and the bones were good. Was 4 years old with 18K miles on the clock. We've had it 4 years now, we are FTers and travel all around the country and I keep a log of every single thing I do to it. I'm on page 29 right now. But it's a labor of love for me just like my homes were. I love working on things and I like keeping our rig in tip top shape. I never have a "list" of things to do. I take care of what needs to be done immediately. PM is the key to a healthy coach.

Yes they are good rigs out there, but I will say you need to know or learn how to work on things. In most cases it's not that hard. Forums and YT are your friends.

So don't get discouraged my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying