Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Can fulltimer purchase handgun legally?

I am a fulltimer using a mail service in SD. I have SD drivers license, vehicle registration and vote there. I visited a gun shop while passing through SD and was told there is no way to purchase a handgun (for home defense) without having a physical address (no mail service, no P.O. box, etc). Has anyone come across a legal way to purchase/register a handgun as a fulltimer with no physical address?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post
I am a fulltimer using a mail service in SD. I have SD drivers license, vehicle registration and vote there. I visited a gun shop while passing through SD and was told there is no way to purchase a handgun (for home defense) without having a physical address (no mail service, no P.O. box, etc). Has anyone come across a legal way to purchase/register a handgun as a fulltimer with no physical address?
What does your drivers license say you live at? that is where you can buy a hand gun that is your residence.

I know you have a DL from S.D. but is there an address on it?

Just because you fulltime, you are not stateless. S.D. is your physical address, do not think too much into this. There are plenty of gun shops in S.D.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Brady Act provision: some single piece, or combination of pieces, of government issued paperwork must show a physical residence.

Quote:
Thus, for example, a licensee may accept a valid driver's license that accurately reflects the purchaser's name, date of birth, and photograph, along with a vehicle registration issued by the State indicating the transferee's current address. Licensees should note that if the law of the State that issued the driver's license provides that the driver's license is invalid due to any reason (i.e., the license is expired or is no longer valid due to an unreported change of address), then the driver's license may not be used for identification purposes under the Brady Act. If a licensee has reasonable cause to question the validity of an identification document, he or she should not proceed with the transfer until those questions can be resolved.
A broader explanation can be found here: https://www.atf.gov/file/83651/download

No mention as to what the intent of this regulation is. Seems unfair in that all that needs to be established prior to the Brady Act is for someone to prove residency in a state and not the exact location of that residence. Also seems odd that unless one is active duty .mil, a location of residence must be provided, but if one is active duty .mil, and they are a resident of one state but are permanently stationed in another state, they can effectively be residents of both states depending on which one of the two the person is actually in at any moment.

So, in conclusion, unless you got the bankroll to push this all the way to the SC, you gotta have a or some documents that show your place of residence. BATFE rule since at least 2001.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #4

What kind of places do you plan to go that you need 'home defense'? We traveled constantly for 16 years in the lower 48, Canada, Yukon and Alaska and never has one issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Buy used from private party.......

Old 09-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What kind of places do you plan to go that you need 'home defense'?
Irrelevant.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To make the record more clear, the BATFE ruling on the matter I linked to previously was issued on 12-31-2001. It's easy to see who was in charge during that time.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What kind of places do you plan to go that you need 'home defense'? We traveled constantly for 16 years in the lower 48, Canada, Yukon and Alaska and never has one issue.
I never needed my fire extinguisher either but I have one just in case I need it.

I agree with the suggestion to purchase from a private party.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Irrelevant.
X2!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Some posts have been removed as they went outside of our Community Rules. Here's the section that applies to political and gun rights discussions.

• General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topicor become disruptive.
Please post within them.

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 09-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

Yes - It is possible to get a conceal carry as a fulltimer within the state of South Dakota. Call the Sheriff's department for the county that you have your PMB. The biggest requirement is that you need to stay within the state (your county) for 30days and have proof of it. It must be 30 consecutive days. You'll also have to go thru all of the background checks as everyone else.

My PMB shows that I have an address in Madison SD which is in Lake County. You may also be required to take some form of class prior to having the permit given to you.

Don't rely on the answers here. Call your local Sheriff's department for the REAL answer!!

-paul
Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Irrelevant.
X2...
Quote:
Really?...FYI the 2nd doesn't need an explanation
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Guns and parachutes are two items that you may never need, but if the need ever arises for either, there's just no substitute.

(that's original; you can quote me.)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good questions/answers. Right now I'm a resident of WA (born here almost 70 years ago) but at some time in the future (need to wait for the grandson to graduate from HS) I plan on going more full time. But it might come down to whether I take a reverse mortgage or sell the house outright. Right now I have WA, OR and UT concealed permits and I believe that each of them requires a permanent, physical address.
Closed Thread

Tags
fulltime, purchase