Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

Are there any Canadian Fulltimers on here?

How are Canadian laws to based on this lifestyle?

Thanks,

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #2

Are there any Canadian Fulltimers on here?

How are Canadian laws to based on this lifestyle?

Thanks,

John
Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 AM   #3

Morning John: I am not a full timer, but do extended trips. Several of our RV friends are full timers. What exactly did you mean by Canadian laws? For residency requirements? To keep our health care coverage? For residency we must be in Canada 6 months of the year. But if we stay outside of Canada more than 6 months say in the USA we can end up taxed by both countries.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:13 AM   #4

Yes.

Derek and I are looking into becoming Canadian Citizens. It's a long story, and our reasoning really doesn't fit this forum, however, currently we are Full-timers in the US, and in investigating the plausability of making such a drastic change, I really wanted to know if we would be able to become permanent residents, and then citizens by keeping our current lifestyle as full-timers.

Thanks!

John
Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #5

Hi again. Well I'm sorry to say that that knowledge is beyond me. I'm sure it exists somewhere. You might give the Canada forum a try. There may be someone on there who has some idea/knowledge in that area or may be able to better direct your question. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #6

I can not say for sure - but that never stopped aby one on the net before - so here goes ...

The issue is really not if you can fulltime as a Can citizen. You can. You can also as a landed immigrant. Either way (just like us) you will need to be physically resident in Canada for 6mos of each year in order to qualify for benefits (like health care and then you get to pay taxes here as well including $ earned out of the country).

You need to have an address to do things like register a vehicle etc. While this could be a post office box (once you get everything set up) you really do need a physical address as such to domicile in - at least at the start. Lots of work arounds here. For example, you can buy a nice (livable) home of say 750 sg feet in a small town in Saskatchewan (my home province) for $5000 (or even less). Check out www.mls.ca and search saskatchewan with a max of $10000 and you will get hundreds of choices.

As to becoming a landed immagrant in the first place, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html to start - as Canada is part of NAFTA with the US then there are some expedited entry potentials especially for certain skills.

Hope that helps.
terry
MandTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #7

Added poste post:
http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs...URL=%3fAre aID%3d1055
will do the search for you -- I limited it to houses so there were only 39 (but there were a couple at under 3000.)

I love Saskatchewan myself and have managed to live out somewhere over a half century of winters but I would suggest that the 6 mons you stay there not include NOV-MARCH unless you like snow and cold.
MandTR is offline   Reply With Quote